Daniel Mari strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Polifemo de Oro

Re: Daniel Mari strings

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:31 pm

I do recommend to be a little bit more patient with the DM basses. Opposed to the trebles which settle very quick, the basses take much longer (1 week +). They become a bit more flexible with time, though I do agree that they are more on the bright side of the spectrum.
Thank you. I will see how they progress. I prefer more flexible strings.

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 pm

So, I have read some great things about these strings so I'm very curious to someday test them myself. It's weird though the way they are so hard to get and there seems to be so little info about them on the internet. No official site or anything. Also does anyone have any clue what the numbers are on tension and diameter of the different strings?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Guido wrote:So, I have read some great things about these strings so I'm very curious to someday test them myself. It's weird though the way they are so hard to get and there seems to be so little info about them on the internet. No official site or anything. Also does anyone have any clue what the numbers are on tension and diameter of the different strings?
They are certainly not widely available but they also are certainly not hard to get. Buy online from Ostrie Music Supplies. Easy.

My recommendation is to buy the 100p trebles and forget the basses.

Guido

Post by Guido » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:14 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Guido wrote:So, I have read some great things about these strings so I'm very curious to someday test them myself. It's weird though the way they are so hard to get and there seems to be so little info about them on the internet. No official site or anything. Also does anyone have any clue what the numbers are on tension and diameter of the different strings?
They are certainly not widely available but they also are certainly not hard to get. Buy online from Ostrie Music Supplies. Easy.

My recommendation is to buy the 100p trebles and forget the basses.
Yeah that's actually what I meant, I could only find a few websites that sell them which is kind of strange to me as they seem so loved around here.

I've read your previous recommendation on combining the trebles with Cantiga or Pyramid basses. Still have to try the latter strings, but really liked the Cantiga. Will all give it a try in due time, thanks for the advise!

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 am

Cantiga basses are really nice and mesh exceptionally well with Mari 100p trebles on my spruce guitar. I have yet to try the Pyramid bass set though. I would be surprised if there is a better string combination for this guitar, am very satisfied.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:37 am

Kintla wrote:Cantiga basses are really nice and mesh exceptionally well with Mari 100p trebles on my spruce guitar. I have yet to try the Pyramid bass set though. I would be surprised if there is a better string combination for this guitar, am very satisfied.
Yes, that's a wonderful combination.

Peter

smok53

Post by smok53 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:19 am

Hi,

Three days ago we have fitted Daniel Mari 100p strings on our Jan Schneider (cedar, 2006). Overall - an excellent strings with great playability. Lots of dynamic range, good sustain, excellent intonation, beautiful sound and good volume. The treble strings are definitely much warmer than carbon strings (i.e. Knobloch CX) and certainly warmer than Savarez New Cristal HT. To our surprise the basses sounds great on Schneider as well (they need some 2-3 days to reach their full potential). They are fast, bright, open and round sounding. Very good G string, and well chosen tension of the strings provide the perfect balance between the basses and trebles.
Highly recommended.

Tomasz

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

es335 wrote:
Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:24 am
Hi Peter,

Ostrie Music Supply offers them in 6-packs at 44,-$ and ship them worldwide. My EU supply is the guitarwebshop in Switzerland but they are sold out at least on the 100p as I was so egoistic to buy up their remaining stock!

Fernanderzmusic is another supply source in the US and their MOQ is 4 sets at 30 $.

There is of course a lot of La Bella in these strings but their gauge composition is really unique and in a way I always wanted Nylon string to be. I do use them alternatively with Oasis Sostenuto basses, which are in themselves the better basses. But the DM basses are the better match though they lack a bit weigth. Their superior overall performance does more than compensate for that ... at least in my case. For my Kohno Pro-J they seem to be the ideal complete string set. :D

I'm excited to hear how you opinion about them! :wink: :D

Cheers es335
I didn't find a proper source for Mari strings in Europe. There is indeed an online shop in Switzerland, but they are quite expensive (Swiss Franks) and often sold out. So I ordered from Ostrie in the US. Cheap buy and fast delivery. 6,99 $ for the shipping to Europe doesn't make me suffering financially. Thanks for the Ostrie hint. I will order there more often I guess, as Mari trebles are indeed fantastic. (I only stick to my g string Knobloch carbon).
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018
Tobias Braun, Manuel Ramirez model, torrefied spruce/birds eye maple, 2018
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Martijn Ruiter

Post by Martijn Ruiter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Hiltrud enders from classical-strings has them

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes, indeed. I forgot to mention her. Hiltrud Enders is my preferred source for strings for many years. But she can only deliver whole Mari sets and I prefer the trebles alone.

Dartez82

Post by Dartez82 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 pm

How do the mari trebles compare to augustine imperials?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Dartez82 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 pm
How do the mari trebles compare to augustine imperials?
They have a little more harmonic content - I use either commonly depending on what guitar they are going onto. In the Augustine range (for comparison) they sound more like a halfway house between the Imperial and the Regal but without the tension of the latter.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:59 am

I recently strung my new Palo Escrito top guitar with Mari 100P trebles, and they feel supple on the B and E string. I am using a med tension Knobloch carbon G. I did have Galli Titanium medium on that guitar, but they were oh so stiff in the trebles. The Mari strings were thicker than the Galli, but were much easier to play.

Also, said guitar has a rather high action, which exacerbates the Titanium stiffness problem. Same strings feel fine on my Blanca. The Mari strings are rather bright, but clear as water. The Mari basses seem to feel really stiff on the Palo guitar, but felt fine on my low action blanca.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm

I have been playing a set of Mari strings on my Tacchi Friederich for a while now and love the trebles. Excellent sounding nylon strings. The basses are not my cup of tea. Quite dull and less brilliant than my regular Savarez Corum.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:23 pm

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm
I have been playing a set of Mari strings on my Tacchi Friederich for a while now and love the trebles. Excellent sounding nylon strings. The basses are not my cup of tea. Quite dull and less brilliant than my regular Savarez Corum.
Yes, the trebles are absolutely lovely. Try pairing them with the Cantiga NT. That’s a fantastic combination.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”