Anyone used Tiger classical guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dave B

Anyone used Tiger classical guitar strings?

Post by Dave B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 am

Hi, These strings are cheap but seem to have positive reviews (assuming the reviews are genuine) on both a well known online retailer and a well known auction site.
My Yamaha CX40 classical guitar needs some new bass strings and I might give these Tiger strings a try to see how they perform?
Has anybody used these strings, if so what do you think of them :?:

ameriken

Re: Anyone used Tiger classical guitar strings?

Post by ameriken » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Never heard of them till this post. Personally I wouldn't buy them. Found this on their website:

"This incredibly affordable set of classical guitar strings from Tiger is a must-have for every guitarist.

Particularly ideal for children and beginners, these nylon strings are easy and comfortable to push down, allowing for optimum playability. Suitable for 4/4 size, 3/4 size, 1/2 size and 1/4 size classical guitars, these strings offer a warm and vibrant tone, serving as great replacements or a spare set for any guitarist. Includes a FREE high “e” string!"
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 am

You can refer to the posts of Scott Phillips on this forum, he has introduced quite a number of affordable and reliable sets of guitar strings here, including Ernie Ball, Rotosound Superia, SIT etc for your info.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 am
You can refer to the posts of Scott Phillips on this forum, he has introduced quite a number of affordable and reliable sets of guitar strings here, including Ernie Ball, Rotosound Superia, SIT etc for your info.
Here's one of his threads on cheap strings
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=118411
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 am

ameriken wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 am
Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 am
Here's one of his threads on cheap strings
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=118411
Thanks, i have just had a look at that thread. Also I have just got a set of these Tiger strings, I have only replaced the A and D strings which had badly worn after having the guitar for about 6 weeks (the metal winding on the A string had worn down to the nylon above the 2nd fret and it snapped at 2am in the morning, the guitar was in the bedroom at the time, an abrupt awakening for sure :!: ) Anyway the 2 wound strings I replaced seem fine and no worse than the ones that came with the guitar when I bought it. Admittedly I am not really familiar with classical guitars (im more used to steel stringed guitars. I suspect the strings that were originally on the guitar are cheap ones but they play fine and sound good enough for me. When these strings have worn I may try some of the cheaper strings recommend in the thread above by Scott Phillips and perhaps some more expensive well known brands to see what they are like.
:guitare:

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:49 am

Just because Amazon and The Bay sell them does not make them good. The name, Tiger, suggests cheaply made in China. If you have the money to spare for this experiment then given them a try. Who knows, they may be on par with D'Addarios. Then again, they may be on par with the fake D'Addarios floating about. Looks like if you skip a visit to Starbucks you can spend the money on the Tigers so nothing is really lost except for time and a cup of coffee.

I looked at the Tiger website--WOW, you buy a set and they throw in a free high E string. An extra high E string? The site say free not an extra. Why would anyone need a spare high E string? An extra D string makes sense. But, then again, the site says nothing of an extra but a FREE high E string.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Dave B,
If you want to try strings that are made in China but of good quality (intonation wise and lifespan, I would say not bad actually regarding their price), you may search for Alice AWR 18 Normal/Hard tensions, these sets having crystal nylon trebles and antioxidation bass strings, or Orphee SC55/SC57, these also have antioxidation basses but dupont nylon 612 trebles.

I got them for about €5 per set, they sound pretty good on my Yamaha student models, much better than counterfeit China EJ45 for sure!
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”