A Friday guitar perhaps?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ljerams

A Friday guitar perhaps?

Post by ljerams » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am

For those who do not know the terminology we used to refer to a car with lots of faults as being a Friday car, one that was assembled on a Friday!

Yesterday, when I went to buy some new strings I tried a Guitar, same Spanish maker as mine, but all solid woods and about double the price I paid. This one was old stock, perhaps five years old and the strings were original D'Addario, the same as I use.After some time tuning it, I couldn't really get a decent sound out of it and also open string harmonics were quite difficult. At the suggestion of the Shop Assistant, I tried another Guitar, again from the same Manufacturer but much cheaper than mine and this was quite responsive.

My question is, could the expensive Guitar (about US$1,000.-) with clapped out strings make it sound like an el cheapo instrument or could there be a problem with the guitar. I inspected it carefully and it was nicely finished with no apparent faults except the sound. :chaud:

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:32 pm

Could possibly be just the strings, but hard to tell from afar. How familiar are you with the sound of dead strings? Some people change strings quite often and thus never let their strings get really bad. I (being the cheap bastard I am) keep my strings a long time before I change. I can tell the difference, but I would say that old strings do not make my guitars sound truely bad: I can play harmonics just as well on them as when new.

That being said, I have never kept a set of strings 5 years. All sorts of things could happen in that time.

If you are interested in possibly purchasing this guitar, I would ask the shop to restring the guitar in order to allow you to better judge its qualities.

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm

wschart wrote:I would ask the shop to restring the guitar in order to allow you to better judge its qualities.
Yes, do ask. It shouldn't be a problem. My local store will even gladly allow me to restring. Then again, they know me and know that I can restring a guitar without damaging it.

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:02 am

I'm not purchasing at the moment but into a long term decision making process about my next guitar.This will take me into an all solid woods model and I have a fair number of choices including a local Luthier who's quality so I am told can vary, plus Alhambra, Rodriguez and so on.

Really, I am rather intrigued by this issue and wondered if anybody else has had such an experience and if the answer was simply knackered strings?

And if it is old stock, why has nobody else bought it when the strings were in a newer condition? :?

charlesivey

Post by charlesivey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:40 am

If you become interested in buying the guitar, ask the shop to put new strings on it to try it out first -- or, at the worst offer to buy new strings for it before making a decision. The price of a set of strings is small compared to the cost of guitar that might be a dud. 5 year old strings are surely inadequate to decide about a guitar. If kept near reasonable tension, the possibility of the strings being accurately tuneable is near zero -- just try a few harmonics while trying to tune and you will see.
CI

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler" A. Einstein

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:18 pm

when the strings head South the do sound bad on even the best CG,, agree with Tedthebear that the store should allow you to restring if they are interested in selling the instrument especially if it is one of their higher quality CGs,,

would also think that there is such a thing as a Friday Guitar if made in the larger factories,, without knowing their +/- quality parameters the same production line could have a wide swing,, hopefully not like some of the major auto mfgs., LOL,,

if the guitar sounds bad, would recommend new strings that you are familiar with palying on if available,, then make a decision,,

good luck on your decision,,

sandinojones

Post by sandinojones » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:13 pm

I think this would be an advantage almost, since the strings are dull what you're hearing is that guitar's own resonance and timbre left uncolored by the sound of new strings. Almost like a neutral guitar. I think wolf notes are still wolf notes and all the places on the guitar where the sound resonates nicely will still be there albeit perhaps a bit less so- relative to new strings.

DD

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”