Aquila strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
davemall

Aquila strings

Post by davemall » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Just wondering what other people think about these strings since I rarely hear much about them. I really like them so far. I think these strings are the perfect solution to those of us with brittle nails. I bought these after My M finger nail broke for the millionth time. (My nails seem to break in a perfect I, M, A pattern-but that's a discussion for another thread). Anyway, I dug around and found a few old threads recommending these strings for no nail playing. Even playing tremolo, which normally I find impossible with broken nails, is fairly easy with these strings.

Andrew Fryer

Re: Aquilla strings

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 pm

I use Aquila on my ukes (that was their original purpose - I don't know how far Mimmo has extended the range), but I use Augustine regal blues on my guitars.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Guero

Post by Guero » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 pm

I love them! They are my favourite trebles I always come back to.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Cheap and very good. I used to have the problem of longevity but apparently it's no longer an issue.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 pm

Dave

To make this a rather more useful thread it would be helpful to let us know what type of Aquilla strings you are using. There are three I know of for classical guitars - Alabastro, Perla and Rubino.

I love the tone of the nylgut Alabastro but have had serious intonation problems reported on a dedicated Alabastro thread on this forum. Mimmo, the owner of Aquila, is a forum member here and a genuinely nice guy. Because of my intonation problems he sent me a latest production set of each of their strings before Christmas. For Alabastro that included their latest formulation of Supernylgut. You can tell the latest strings because they are a soft translucent white colour with none of the creaminess or slight yellow tint of the earlier formulations. They sound good. The e and b strings have perfect intonation, but unfortunately the g was about 15-20 cents sharp which is much the same problem I was having earlier. Incredibly disappointing. I have about 3-4 sets of the older formulation new in packet and half a set of new ones installed. Maybe I just rip open the older sets and mix and match until I get a well intonated set. I have to say as much as I like them I don't intend to buy three of four sets of strings to find a combination where each if the treble strings intonates well.

Perla - I tried one set if these in the older formulation and they are a genuinely nice set of strings (as these are the nylon strings I will limit my comments to the trebles). Except for intonation problems, once again the main culprit the g string. Sonically, they are probably up there with Mari 100p as my favourite trebles. I have not yet fitted the latest production and will report back when I do. I just struggle to get excited to do a string change when I suspect to hit intonation problems. I need a rainy day when I am a little bored but curious.

Rubino - not yet tried.

In summary, they are making some wonderful sounding strings. I just need to be satisfied the intonation consistency is as good as other manufacturers before I can give a strong recommendation.

I might approach Mimmo about a bulk purchase of Alabastro g strings (like a guitar manufacturer might get) - if the per unit cost is not high I don't mind going through a few until I get one that meets my intonation standards (typically plus of minus 5 cents I can tolerate).

All the best
Peter

davemall

Post by davemall » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:37 am

I didn't realize there were three subsets. I was referring to the nylgut(Alabastro) strings. I haven't noticed any intonation problems yet. I did find it a bit strange the strings weren't labeled but I figured it out.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:44 am

I think what is important here is that the string manufacturer takes a very serious view regarding the feedback from us users and takes concrete actions to resolve these issues.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:24 am

HNLim wrote:I think what is important here is that the string manufacturer takes a very serious view regarding the feedback from us users and takes concrete actions to resolve these issues.
I agree 100% and from what I can see Mimmo most definitely does.

The Alabastro might be very reliable now and have generally excellent intonation. Maybe I got the one in 20 or one in 100 pack of the 'new production' strings with another problem. I just don't know. I do know I am reluctant to buy a bunch more sets if that is not clear.

On my desk I gave 14 sets of various Aquilla strings (mostly unopened, some raided for one or more strings). Some new production, some earlier 2015 production and I just can't get motivated to fit them to a guitar. That is rather sad.

pogmoor

Re: Aquila strings

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:36 pm

petermc61 wrote:Rubino - not yet tried.
There's a thread on Aquila Rubino strings here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=92785. As I mention there I was disappointed and a bit puzzled by them.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

brooks

Post by brooks » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:37 pm

A friend sent me a set of Ambra 2000s to try, and I am loving them. The basses might not ring quite as much and have a slightly softer sound, but there are great advantages to that, particularly when the melody moves from the treble to the bass strings...it is a much more seamless transition. The trebles are great...overall there is something very intimate and sweet about the sound that I like very much. The intonation is fine, and the price is great.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:25 pm

I've used four or five sets of Alabastro strings - the older type and the newer - and haven't run into any intonation problems. Now, Augustine trebles are a different matter.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:36 pm

I am liking the Alabastro strings without nails. Other strings don't respond as well without fingernails. The intonation has been fine. They can take awhile to stretch. The trebles seem to sweeten up a lot once broken in, the tension seems to release after many hours and get more supple. A few months on and I think I could get an eternity from the trebles.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:43 pm

MessyTendon wrote:the tension seems to release after many hours and get more supple.
I've noticed that also.
A few months on and I think I could get an eternity from the trebles.
Most of the recordings I've done in the last few years have been with Alibastro treble strings that were over a year old.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks for sharing that Lawler. I thought I was imagining things, but the trebles seem to get better and better with age.

vincentx

Post by vincentx » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:41 pm

The bass strings of the aquila are by far the best I ever used (at least on my guitars, and compared with most of the other brands available), definitely a old world sounding. Rubino is an interesting choice, if you are using a lattice guitar. One of my friends has a really powerful lattice but lacking of finesse, the Rubino totally changed it. And it sounds really nice on my Garica too. Apart from Rubino, I prefer Alabastro over Perla.
1911 Jose Ramirez I
1918 Enrique Garcia
1923 Hermann Hauser I Vienna
1933 Enrique Coll Sinopoil
1936 Santos Hernandez
1953 Manuel de la Chica
1983 John Gilbert
2002 Daniel Friederich
2017 Marshall Brune 1888 Torres Bench Copy
2017 Vincent Xu

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”