Aquila strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jayjayrose

Re: Aquila strings

Post by jayjayrose » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 am

I just put a set of Alabastros on my 1970 Manzanero and I love the sound. They are bright, powerful and focused. I'm a little concerned about the tension, however. Strings by Mail lists the poundage and a set of the "Normal" tension Alabastro is listed as over 94 pounds. Compare that with Dogal Diamante Regular tension (80.90 lbs.) or D'Addario Composite Hard Tension (90.27 lbs.). I'd love to know what the total tension of a set of Augustine Regal Blues is; that's my other favorite string. And La Bella 2001 Medium Hard comes in at 79.97 lbs. So Alabastro is the highest.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:14 am

My only experience with Aquila strings is their specialized strings for the Guilele. They sound and feel great, and I am at times shocked as to how well they stay in tune. I can leave the Guilele in the case for more than a week, and they will still be practically in the exact same pitch the next time I pick it up.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

dwtrux

Post by dwtrux » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 am

While this is somewhat of an older thread, I will add to it. My experience has been with the Aquila Ambra 900 which I have installed on an 1850s restored Martin and on a new custom classical guitar with a spruce top/rosewood back and sides. These are amazing sounding strings. I have them at 430hz and 435hz respectively.

Crisp treble when you want and very pure round with more technique. The bass strings I find are very rich and deep, with a bit less sustain so that it falls away faster than the more normal bass strings found with other string makes. Really like that in many of the songs I have been playing lately.

Ron McLaughlin

Post by Ron McLaughlin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 am

Aquila Alabastro classical guitar strings are one of my two favorite Brands of classical guitar strings. I get a very smooth even flow with them. They come in a variety of tensions too. You might want to try different tensions to see which your particular guitar prefers. I have not had any intonation problems with them. I have used them on a number of different classical guitars with much success. My other favorite is LaBella 900. I go back and forth between the two on different guitars. Some guitars sound better to me with the Alabastro, some sound better with the LaBella, just pick the one you prefer. The Alabastro last a long time for me too. I have never had one pop on me while on the guitar.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:55 am

They'll stretch out quite a bit and loosen up if you play them a lot. A few months and I wouldn't consider changing them. The basses wear out faster than the trebles, but the trebles should last at least through four sets of basses.

The tension should be fine, if you are worried tuned down a half step. They sound good that way. Or try a lower tension set.

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:26 am

Oh yeah the Aquila Nylgut basses. Its the only basses I use. They are louder(you can hear it) and they sound good. I have been playing the rubino trebles now for four months. Omg they are an experiment in classical guitar strings, I believe to see if equal string gauges can get a more truer sound. I think they have succeeded in this. They have resonance and sustain and just make my songs sound more truer. I like this set, and I am not taking it off my guitar for awhile!

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”