Shall we make a list of different brands of strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
gsilvergran

Shall we make a list of different brands of strings?

Post by gsilvergran » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:34 pm

I guess all us have tried different types of strings. How about we post some of the ones we like and not like, and quality vs. price etc..
My first tip will be Galli Genius! Great string for a great price! Anyone tried them?

Anyway, the seem to cooperate good with my spruce-top guitar. I used to play D´Addario for a long time, but these just gives me more attack, and longer sustain!

Gus

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:34 pm

I guess my favourites are D'Addario EJ45 at the moment, thought I have just bought several different types to see how they suit my guitar. The only strings I would stay clear of are GHS—had a set given to me and they were truly dreadful. Best regards, V.

it0376

Post by it0376 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:28 pm

For some reason, Gali Genius never worked for me; I needed to change them too often, because they'd break. My favourites are D'Addario. I love their sound and they don't kill my hands like others do.

hoangle8

Post by hoangle8 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:15 pm

I did try Galli Titanium and Genius before; but the intonation did not seem to be consistent. D'addario 's are better.

gsilvergran

Post by gsilvergran » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 am

really? I seem to have no trouble with that, might just be luck though...D´Addarios are good, I agree

guitarvirtouso

Post by guitarvirtouso » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:33 pm

oops!! double post....
Last edited by guitarvirtouso on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarvirtouso

Post by guitarvirtouso » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:34 pm

I also use D'addario.....mainly because my teacher, uses them..but I like their sound fine....I do chew up the trebles pretty fast.

Derry

strings

Post by Derry » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:56 pm

think it may be tough to list all that are available around this globe,, would be an interesting challenge for someone to take on though,,

have tried a variety of brands over the years on my two CGs and always come back to the GSP strings,, use super nylons med tension on my spruce top CG and ultra hybrids high tension on my cedar top,, very consistant quality,, have even used a micrometer checking the strings to measure diameters between packs to see what their diameter delta was,,

give em a try,, bet ya will enjoy their performance,,

guitarvirtouso

Post by guitarvirtouso » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:21 pm

Hmmm.....I've never heard of those brands......maybe I'll check them out...

Kenon

Post by Kenon » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:37 pm

One band i come across quite often is savarez.

For the uninitiated, all the different models and permutations of tension can be very confusing as the packaging does not provide much information!

I have sweaty hands which tarnish the strings pretty fast. What would hold up better for people with sweaty hands?

JimMet

Galli Titanium

Post by JimMet » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:22 am

I asked Renato Bellucci what he would recommend for the best sound with my new spruce top that I purchased from him, and he replied Galli Titanium. That's what I ordered today for my next strings. The guitar came with D'addario.

Jim

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”