Pyramid strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
pima1234

Pyramid strings

Post by pima1234 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:21 am

Anyone using them? I just installed a set of normal tension Sterling Silver with Carbon trebles (at least, I believe that's what it was... I have some other Pryamid sets), and they made my guitar come alive. I've primarily used Savarez Corum Alliance for a very long time now. I guess I just pleasantly surprised.

The price is on the high side though, so I hope they will last.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

petermc61

Re: Pyramid strings

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 am

Pyramid Sterling Silver? Does anybody use them?

Obviously we have never met. :-)

Damn fine strings. Basses are about as good as you get, if you are using the lower tension. The carbon G is excellent. In my opinion the set will be improved by use of excellent nylon first and second strings eg Mari 100p, Augustine Imperial, La Bella 10ph

They last about 2.5-3 times longer than most strings.

Peter

Matthew22

Post by Matthew22 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am

How about the high tension sterling silver bssses, how do compare tension wise to lets say Augustine blue? I am considering trying them on a guitar that likes hard tension strings, Augustine blue are a good tension level for the guitar but not right in sound, they sound a little metallic. I wonder if the pyramid are warmer with a more pure tone? Thanks

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:11 am

I've been using Pyramid Sterling Silver Nylon Mediums for the last couple of months based on Peter's recommendation. I'm very happy with them and agree that they last a lot longer than all the other strings I've tried which suits me as I don't really enjoy changing strings. I also find them easy on the left hand. So I guess you could say that I'm a convert.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Pima1234,
Pyramids are at the top of the list. You won't find a better longer lasting bass. As Paul mentioned they are very easy on the left hand and in the normal tension strings the right hand gets nice feedback. I love their overall tone and especially like that they last so long. Top notch strings!
I tend to mix higher tension trebles with lower tension basses and I agree with Petermc61 that alternative high quality trebles improve the set. But the basses; they are the best! Glad you've discovered Pyramid!!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Matthew22 wrote:How about the high tension sterling silver bssses, how do compare tension wise to lets say Augustine blue? I am considering trying them on a guitar that likes hard tension strings, Augustine blue are a good tension level for the guitar but not right in sound, they sound a little metallic. I wonder if the pyramid are warmer with a more pure tone? Thanks
Matthew

I am a little perplexed that you think the guitar needs high tension but you aren't won over by the sound of the very same high tension strings. My suggestion? Try Pyramid Sterling Silver medium tension and then come back and tell us what you think. My guess is you won't be so committed to high tension strings...

Cheers
Peter

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:52 pm

They are the longest lasting bass strings I have ever tried. I also found their brightness paired well with Nylgut trebles.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:10 pm

I've tried the Super Classic hard tension carbon set about one year ago. The basses were great, good bottom, fine - but never thin - brilliance, long life span. It's a really fat sound. The trebles, indeed, were (in my ears) rubbish. It sounded to me a bit like some sort of cheap plastic. Nevertheless, the basses are definitely a very good choice for classical music. Especially compared to Savarez Corum Alliance basses (ex works strings of my Hanika), it was an enrichment at all points!
BUT: for my kind of music (Jazz/Latin) the enhancement of low and high frequencies is too distinctive. I prefer strings without a strong bass/treble enhancement (= a bit of "electric" sound) and I found GHS 2500 nickelwound strings to be my favourites. Moreover, GHS nickels even last longer than Pyramid sterlings, squeaking is reduced and the price is less than 50% :wink:

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:34 pm

I tried the excelsior line (medium tension) and was generally happy with them. They had a great feel and intonation. Tonally, they were too far to the "warm" side though and I'm not partial to rectified trebles either. I've had Sterling Silver basses now for a few weeks (based on many of Peter's recommendations) and am very happy with the tone. They seem to pair up quite nicely with La Bella 2001 trebles, which are my favorites so far on my guitar.

Matthew22

Post by Matthew22 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:52 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Matthew22 wrote:How about the high tension sterling silver bssses, how do compare tension wise to lets say Augustine blue? I am considering trying them on a guitar that likes hard tension strings, Augustine blue are a good tension level for the guitar but not right in sound, they sound a little metallic. I wonder if the pyramid are warmer with a more pure tone? Thanks
Matthew

I am a little perplexed that you think the guitar needs high tension but you aren't won over by the sound of the very same high tension strings. My suggestion? Try Pyramid Sterling Silver medium tension and then come back and tell us what you think. My guess is you won't be so committed to high tension strings...

Cheers
Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for the replay.

the guitar I am shopping for is new to me, although 645mm (ish) scale which should like more or less the same kind of strings as I normally use has very different feel. it needs high, even extra high tension, normal tension feel like a nodal on it... what can I say? this is why I'm asking about the HT pyramid. at the moment it has extra high daddario on it and it sounds and feels great, but I'm looking for a bass that has a more pure warm sound, the daddario are a little bassy less pure, as they always are.
Last edited by Matthew22 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Butch Alan

Post by Butch Alan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:05 pm

I use Pyramid's wound 'G' string on all of my guitars. I know some say they can't get used to the 'feel' of them but I think they are brighter and give me a better blend.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:39 pm

I've had a few guitars that were voiced for carbon trebles, great instruments, I am just not crazy for carbon.
However, on those, the high tension Pyramid carbons are the best I've tried.
2017 Glen Canin Spruce
2017 Antonius Mueller Cedar

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:13 am

Butch Alan wrote:I use Pyramid's wound 'G' string on all of my guitars. I know some say they can't get used to the 'feel' of them but I think they are brighter and give me a better blend.
What's a wound 'G' string? Is it the same as the other 3 bass strings or is it wound with something else? Just curious.

Butch Alan

Post by Butch Alan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:24 am

Same as the other wound strings. Thickness is similar to unwound. I like the blend I get with them. If you play 2 or 3 or 4 string chord melodies they just sound better to me. Also, I've experienced a dull 'thud' from many unwound 'G' strings. I guess it's personal preference or perhaps style of play. If you want to give them a whirl, I can give you the Pyramid product number because it can save a lot of fishing on their web. I have numbers on medium and hard.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:34 am

so how do the Pyramid medium tension feel under your fingers as compared to the D'addario ej45 medium? In other words, should I get medium pyramids if I'm used to medium D'addario?

whoa, I just went to sbm: these are pricey...those bass strings really better last...
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”