String Tie - Ties your guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rinneby

String Tie - Ties your guitar strings?

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Anyone tried this? Does it work?

http://www.string-tie.com

/J
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7
1989 - Antonio Marin Montero (Bouchet)
2017 - Tobias Braun (Santos Hernández, 1924)

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Jeff Whitney

Re: String Tie - Ties your guitar strings?

Post by Jeff Whitney » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Went to the website and was able to view the video demonstration, but when I tried the link to "shop now", the page failed to load.
Tried 2 different browsers, so I don't know the problem, was just curious to see the price more than anything else.

Jeff
Jeff Whitney
Prudencio Saez Mod. 8
Takamine C132S

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Jeff Whitney wrote:Went to the website and was able to view the video demonstration, but when I tried the link to "shop now", the page failed to load.
Tried 2 different browsers, so I don't know the problem, was just curious to see the price more than anything else.

Jeff

It's like 20 Euro for a set, in EU i think.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7
1989 - Antonio Marin Montero (Bouchet)
2017 - Tobias Braun (Santos Hernández, 1924)

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:50 pm

rinneby wrote:Anyone tried this? Does it work? ...
Works fine though they have a do look a bit clumsy. But handling is secure and easy!

Costs are between 25,- and 20,- € and for instance the biggest EU online shop offers them for slightly below 20 €!

MAK

Post by MAK » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:16 pm

I just looked them up on line and found them at Strings By Mail and another brand at Amazon. It certainly would make securing strings at the bridge much easier and safer.

MAK

Post by MAK » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 pm

By the way, they were about $25 at Strings By Mail and the description stated they are made crime bone. Other end pieces I saw were nylon and milk stone.

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I just ordered these: Diamond Secure Classical Guitar String Ties / New Advanced Design! from Amazon, $15 shipping included. I'll let you know how they work out.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:03 pm

I've bought it a couple of years ago for my flamenca to avoid scratching the bridge when changing strings. The principle is simple: do the knot behind the holes of a bridge instead of wrapping them around the bridge. Just like it's done at any kind of steel string guitar.
String ties are made of "Galalithe" - a casein based plastic material. The material does not harm the surface of a bridge or a top.
Practical test: It works, the bridge will not be scratched.
Is it faster to change strings with string ties? In my opinion: No, I do the standard knot by the same speed as fumbling a string's end three times through this really petite plastic piece.
Does it improve sustain, because of higher pressure to the bridge inlay? I doubt, that somebody will hear it. It's more or less psychosomatic. But: the pressure to a PIEZO PICKUP will be increased, so the dynamics and sustain can improve a little when playing amplified.
Does it make sense on a 12-hole bridge? Not at all - except for avoiding scratches.
How does it look? I think it's quite nice, as long as you turn the bass clef-shaped imprint upside down. It looks like a little Floyd Rose...
Can you make it for less than 20 EUR yourself? Yes. Do a simple knot around a piece of a toothpick and the string won't run through the hole.
Or drill one hole through a wooden or plastic bead, put the string through, make a knot after it and you've got the same principle.
Useful? It really depends on you!

pima1234

Post by pima1234 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm

I have two different sets from SBM. So far, I like it. I feel more secure, better than a 12-hole tie block, because I don't have to melt the end of the trebles.
What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:I just ordered these: Diamond Secure Classical Guitar String Ties / New Advanced Design! from Amazon, $15 shipping included. I'll let you know how they work out.
They are designed and made by our own Kent (a Delcamper). Highly recommended if you want an alternative to the traditional knot tying on a 6 hole tie block.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I find any of these things sticking out from the tie block not particularly pleasing from an aesthetic perspective, so if I needed them in case of a break angle that is too low I would get the smallest ones I could find. They also add what is essentially dead weight to the bridge, which could at least in principle affect the resonance of the guitar.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:06 pm

I used something like these before from Strings by Mail. They work and have several advantages:
-Much less wear and tear on your tie block, which for me would be the main advantage. I've seen so many guitars with widened tie block holes
-Security, eliminating the possibility of having a string slip and dinging the top of your guitar
-Convenient and easier to tie
-Increase of break angle if needed. However I could of sworn this made the strings feel more tight and hard on the left hand

The main disadvantage for me, is I think they look aesthetically unpleasant. I much prefer the look of a traditionally tied string on a 6 or 12 hole tie block. If you don't mind the look, then these are definitely worth it
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

otirroz

Post by otirroz » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 pm

I previously used Bridge Bone Beads to do exactly what String Ties do. However, I found them aesthetically off; fragile (I had two break while on the guitar-one while I was practicing); kind of expensive for what they were; and no easier to tie than the standard method. That said, I have found what in my estimation are the best iteration of this idea so far. They are the Diamond Secure String Ties sold by Rosette (a member of this forum-Salvatore and bacsidoan mentioned them earlier). They are a much lower profile solution than either the Beads or String Ties and therefore much more appealing visually. They are made from a lighter yet stronger material than the bone used on the beads, and because of their shape much less likely to break. Are less expensive (just saw them on SBM for US $12.74). And seem a bit easier to tie, although still no less so than the usual method. They do make for a greater and more consistent break angle (if that is important to you), increase the mass a little at the bridge (which may or may not have a discernible affect on sound), will eliminate much bridge wear, and so far have made for a very secure tie off with very little slippage. On the two guitars I have now installed them on I can say that I have no complaints functionally or aesthetically. Since on both guitars I switched to new and different sets of strings at the same string change, I cannot honestly say whether the strings or the Ties were responsible for the improvement in sound I have noticed.

Hope this helps,

P de V

hanredman

Post by hanredman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 pm

I thought the tie block was specifically designed to tie the strings to. I have never had a string slip loose while tying it in the traditional fashion. If you have extraordinary slick or slippery strings, another loop through takes care of that too. The same goes for 12 and 18 hole bridges.

Builders try to make the bridge and the soundboard as light as possible, in order to maximize the vibrational ability of the sound producing parts of the guitar, and than someone comes along with these decorative additions and destroys all these well thought through and well executed efforts for the total sum of $25..........

Don't mean to offend anybody........just my humble but honest opinion...........:-)
Joseph Redman
Amateur Guitar Builder

Francesco Carlo

Post by Francesco Carlo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:31 pm

I use these instead. Very light and almost invisible:
http://shop.lucawaldner.com/it/accessor ... lates.html

Cheers
Guitars : Gioachino Giussani (Spruce 1999), Casimiro Lozano (Spruce 2010), Casimiro Lozano (Cedar Nomex 2014)

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”