Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bellemeade

Re: Hannabach 815mt - Just wow!

Post by bellemeade » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Wonderful strings but the trebles require a good few days to develop.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:58 pm

I've looked that those strings on SBM, but just haven't pulled the trigger on trying them yet.

Maybe on my next order..

Dave
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:21 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 pm
I love the Hannabach 815 trebles. I use the "super low" in the yellow package for some guitars. Those are equivalent in tension to D'Addario Normal tension. On other guitars I use the "low tension" in the green package, which is the equivalent in tension to D'Addario Hard tension.
Are you saying the Hannabach 'super low' is equivalent to D'addario 'normal'? I find this a surprising comment. I use the green low tension and these are noticeably different to the D'addario normal so the yellow super low must surely be very different. Am I missing something?

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:21 pm
soltirefa wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 pm
I love the Hannabach 815 trebles. I use the "super low" in the yellow package for some guitars. Those are equivalent in tension to D'Addario Normal tension. On other guitars I use the "low tension" in the green package, which is the equivalent in tension to D'Addario Hard tension.
Are you saying the Hannabach 'super low' is equivalent to D'addario 'normal'? I find this a surprising comment. I use the green low tension and these are noticeably different to the D'addario normal so the yellow super low must surely be very different. Am I missing something?
Not sure what you mean when you say "noticeably different." You mean they feel higher in tension, lower in tension? Or just different in feel?

There was a discussion in a different thread about the string tensions between Hannabach trebles for super-low, low, and normal. It prompted me to email Strings By Mail to inquire. Bottom line - in the past the tensions went up gradually from yellow to green to black. Now the Hannabach packages indicate the trebles are the same between these three Hannabachs.

So I'm not sure if what I observed before is still true or not. But to me the yellow Hannabach trebles were close in tension to the D'Addario Normal tension trebles. Here's the string tensions before they changed so that the trebles are the same between the three sets, yellow green black.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/newsletters/Han_Ten.html

Here's the D'Addario Normal tension set.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario- ... et-10.html

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm
Not sure what you mean when you say "noticeably different." You mean they feel higher in tension, lower in tension? Or just different in feel?
The Hannabach greens feel lower tension than the Ej45s. But I see it's a confusing picture. The H greens seem to be a lower tension than the J45s but the three Hannabach trebles seem the same. This is a surprise.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm
soltirefa wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm
The Hannabach greens feel lower tension than the Ej45s. But I see it's a confusing picture. The H greens seem to be a lower tension than the J45s but the three Hannabach trebles seem the same. This is a surprise.
Yeah, in the end you really need to judge by how they feel on any given guitar and not by the numbers. They sure are good trebles. I'm not sure I trust the new info that yellow, green, and black are the same. I will continue to buy them as if the go up in tension from one to the next.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”