I need advice from the "strings gurus" before falling into an endless spiral of continuous tests... And I can't!.
Furthermore, in a month or so I began studio recordings. I have to make decisions now.!
-- First, the background:
1- I've always liked the 520R strings (
... I know). My reasons:
a) Feel ("touch"): It's nice and I really like. Yes, I'm speaking about that rectified trebles!
b) Tone: Warm and definitely organic.
c) Attack: Rectified nylon, even noisier, produces a dry attack sweeeter than "normal" nylon. It adds a vintage flavor to a "flamenca blanca", IMO.
So, I use 520Rs in all my 650mm guitars.
Other strings that I tested: D'addario J45, J46, etc ... And more nylons from other Spanish brands (Gato Negro, for example) that i don't remember.. All of them had a rough surface & edges that I find highly uncomfortable.
... Carbons that I tested (a looong time ago) seemed excessive thin and hard; I didn't like them, either.
And I never tested new Savarez stuff like Alliance trebles, New Crystal, etc. Well... I've been very busy and comfortable with 520Rs!
-- Now, the facts:
2- I've recently acquired a traditional concert "flamenca negra" guitar (Brazilian rosewood & German spruce, 660mm) and comes with Knobloch Actives Q.Z. Medium-Hard Tension. What I have discovered:
a) I like the tension of these strings ... The strings have a quick response, are comfortable and expand my dynamic range (and 660mm is "the perfect match" for me, but that's another story)
b) They are "crystal type", but I don't dislike the feel of these trebles. The surface of the material seems softer than the crystal I knew.
c) Now, I find 520R a bit Light Tension in my 650mm guitars... (but I was especially interested in a "flamenca blanca")
-- Finally, the questions:
Taking into consideration the background and facts,
1) Knobloch strings are expensive and hard to find: I like tension and feel, but the sound just seemed right. Personally, I prefer basses not so "squeaky" in the attack, although I love the speed of response and subsequent resonance. So:
What set you can suggest me to replace the Knobloch strings in my 660mm guitar?
2) Do Savarez New Crystals have the same feel (touch) that Knobloch QZ trebles? What about Hannabach trebles?
3) What is the Savarez tension equivalent to Knobloch Active QZ MHT? MHT Mixed ones..? Maybe 520R trebles have the same tension in 660mm that the QZs MHTs?
4) What about Hannabach? MT? I read here that 825MT basses (Gold) are darker than Silver ones.... Well I want to reduce the bright attack of that Silver Basses. 825 are darker in the attack than Silvers? They have a quick response? Round and full-bodied sound?
5) Any other suggestions to consider? Note that I need strings that you can easily get fast through Amazon.
6) What suggestions can you give me for a "flamenca blanca" 650mm with 520Rs to which I would like to raise the tension a bit?
520J seems too much on the table ... I take care of my fingers & nails & guitars!
... What do you think?
Thanks for your time and help!