Comments on several string sets

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Paul Janssen

Re: Comments on several string sets

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:44 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 am
If you report how both those sets go and what you do and don’t like relative to say EJ45 I can probably offer some other suggestions since I will have been able to partly calibrate your guitar/your likes against my rather bizarrely deep experience trying different strings.
I'm sure I speak for so many others on this forum when I say that Peter has never let me down with his string recommendations. I'm not sure about the bizarre part, but the deep part of his experience is unquestionable!!

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 am
I prefer the Black to the Red, and don’t much like the Blue. From what you have said I really do recommend you try the Cantiga, probably with the Imperial. However, since the nylon trebles will last longer than any of the bass sets leave the Classic trebles on and install just the basses. After say 10 hours play when you have that combination saved in your auditory memory change the Classic trebles to Imperial.

If you report how both those sets go and what you do and don’t like relative to say EJ45 I can probably offer some other suggestions since I will have been able to partly calibrate your guitar/your likes against my rather bizarrely deep experience trying different strings.
I would be interested in hearing your perceptions on the difference between the Black and Red basses. I will try the Cantiga basses and Imperial trebles but it will be a while before I do. Although I did not report on this, I am also making note of how long the various strings last so I am leaving them on a long while.

My main purpose in posting my experiences with the various strings was to help others who are making string decisions, but it turns out that I am probably getting more help than I am giving. Thank you, Peter, and everyone else for your help.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:44 pm

This is a tricky comparison from which to make generalizations, given the differences in guitars. However on my 46 year old Ezo spruce top/BR back & sides Yamaha GC-10 (662mm scale):

D'Addario EJ44C: good all round strings (I do not use the composite g string as I find it too hard)

Aquila Alabastro: nice bass, but the trebles are too edgy and sharp sounding (I play with nails and have a robust attack...these would likely be good without nails on my guitar)

Hannbach Silver Special 815HT: Balanced sound, but the treble e is flat sounding and lacks sweetness; a bit too hard for my hands with respect tension though this might improve if I dropped my action slightly and did not use the Diamond string ties

Dogal Maestrale HT: Very nice all round...but expensive

Oasis Carbon: nope, carbon strings are too sharp and pingy with my guitar and playing style

Augustine Regal/Blue: my favorites so far with very good bass and trebles which are expressive and sweet

Note that I have played with mostly HT strings which do very well on my GC-10 as the top likes to be driven by HT strings. I also have played with a fairly high action and I am gradually reducing this with respect to my aging hands and in preparation for my Yamaha GC82S which will have a 650mm scale and an action approximately 0.5mm lower. String choice may very well change with the new instrument.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

CharlesForrest

Post by CharlesForrest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm

MrF1 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 am

After a lot of string experimentation, I'm one of those folks who always returns to the good old EJ45s. I do swap the third string out with a Savarez Alliance, but that's my only adjustment.
I've played for years and change strings every four to six weeks, but I'm still searching for the perfect strings and how to break them in.

Up until recently, I would stretch the strings along their entire length to get them to settle in faster. Then I read that this was bad because the strings would stretch unevenly and adversely impact intonation. Instead the source recommended that one just keep on tuning the guitar and eventually (and fairly quickly) they would stay in tune. So I've tried that and it seems to work okay.

I also used to tug on each treble string a bit before tuning it in order to eliminate any "slack" on the rollers or "catch" on the nut. Now I'm wondering whether this only stretches the string excessively so that fairly soon after tuning its pitch climbs up a bit as it shrinks back towards the pre-stretched state. This is particularly noticeable with the third string, which I've always found is the hardest to keep in tune.

I note that MrF1 swaps out a Savarez for the third string in the set he uses. Is that for tone or perhaps ability to stay in tune?

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm

CharlesForrest wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm
MrF1 wrote:

After a lot of string experimentation, I'm one of those folks who always returns to the good old EJ45s. I do swap the third string out with a Savarez Alliance, but that's my only adjustment.
I note that MrF1 swaps out a Savarez for the third string in the set he uses. Is that for tone or perhaps ability to stay in tune?
Charles,

It's a personal preference. A nylon third string can sound "tubby" to my ears and adding a flourocarbon third seems to provide a more defined third sound to my ears.

That being said, I recently purchased a Kenny Hill 650 player cedar/elevated finger board. I have a full nylon set on that guitar and third sounds fantastic - Augustine LT basses with Augustine Imperial MT trebles. Great set for the this guitar. Trebles sound sweet.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 pm

The Pepe Romero sets from LaBella are excellent strings. The basses have a lot of character, right now I have the rectified treble string set on one of my guitars. They have less nail noise than other rectified sets, still a bit more than a straight nylon treble but it seems to just add a tad of character, call it "air", to the treble, hard to describe, perhaps a bit like the quality some smaller organs add to the higher notes, or a bit like the "fuzz" around a flute player's sound that is different from the very clean sound of an oboe. The trebles are clear and have plenty of warmth.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 am

MrF1 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:33 pm
CharlesForrest wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm
MrF1 wrote:

Charles,

It's a personal preference. A nylon third string can sound "tubby" to my ears and adding a flourocarbon third seems to provide a more defined third sound.

That being said, I recently purchased a Kenny Hill 650 player cedar/elevated finger board. I have a full nylon set on that guitar and the third sounds fantastic - Augustine LT basses with Augustine Imperial MT trebles. Great set for the this guitar. Trebles sound sweet.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:59 am

Flapjack wrote: I would be interested in hearing your perceptions on the difference between the Black and Red basses.
The higher tension basses in the Augustine range in my experience provide a firmer, tighter sound. As you move down in tension the sound ‘relaxes’ and has a little more warmth and bloom. Vibrato is easier. I just find the Black a more musical and more engaging string.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

- as Peter says above...after trying many different brands and combinations my favorite is Augustine Black Imperial combination.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Antonio Picado, model 62, 2018, Cedar/Madagascar Palosanto. Scale 640 mm. Doble Tapa.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:47 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:59 am
Flapjack wrote: I would be interested in hearing your perceptions on the difference between the Black and Red basses.
The higher tension basses in the Augustine range in my experience provide a firmer, tighter sound. As you move down in tension the sound ‘relaxes’ and has a little more warmth and bloom. Vibrato is easier. I just find the Black a more musical and more engaging string.
Thank you, Peter, for explaining this. Tight is one word I would not use to describe either the Red or Blue basses as they sound warm and smooth to me, much less focused than, say, the EJ45 or Corum. Still, I am tempted to try the Black basses. Perhaps when I buy the Imperial trebles I will go ahead and by them in a full set with the Black basses. Just a few more dollars.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:03 am

I like the tone of Augustine black basses, but I have found they die considerably faster and don't have as much power and depth as their higher tension counterparts. They sound great in the first 5 days but quickly lose their vibrance and start to sound tubby and dull. YMMV
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

zagatov12

Post by zagatov12 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello All,

I have a Daniele Marrabello Concert Guitar, which has opened up beautifully since I acquired it six months ago. I have it strung with Pro Arte EJ45s with the substitution of a Hannabach Carbon 3rd string (CAR 3 MHT) to brighten the otherwise slightly 'tubby' nylon in the set. All is well. However, I would like to hear a bit more depth and weight in the bass strings, particularly in the upper registers further up the fingerboard. The top is European Spruce with Indian Rosewood back and sides - lovely instrument, with great clarity, so I would like to get the best out of it. Any help with string suggestions I should try would be very much appreciated, especially as I'm a newbie here (first post).

Best Regards

Mike

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I found both the Savarez Cantiga basses, also Augustine to have more of what you are looking for. The Augustine are cheaper but they don't last very long. Hope this helps!
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:13 pm

Hey Flap jack, if you haven't already, try a set of Ramirez med tension with Carbon G. They have sounded good on every guitar that I have put them on from cheap $200 ones to one's costing several thousand dollars guitars.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:15 pm

zagatov12 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:15 pm
Hello All,

I have a Daniele Marrabello Concert Guitar, which has opened up beautifully since I acquired it six months ago. I have it strung with Pro Arte EJ45s with the substitution of a Hannabach Carbon 3rd string (CAR 3 MHT) to brighten the otherwise slightly 'tubby' nylon in the set. All is well. However, I would like to hear a bit more depth and weight in the bass strings, particularly in the upper registers further up the fingerboard. The top is European Spruce with Indian Rosewood back and sides - lovely instrument, with great clarity, so I would like to get the best out of it. Any help with string suggestions I should try would be very much appreciated, especially as I'm a newbie here (first post).

Best Regards

Mike
Read the above post.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”