Goodbye ej45, hello Mari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nokturnal

Re: Goodbye ej45, hello Mari

Post by nokturnal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 am
nokturnal wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm
The ej45 from my experience, is a good overall string touse, if you are out of "expensive" string like the Savarez, la bella, Augustine imperial etc.

Is a fail safe good "temporary" replacement.

I found the ej45 quite stiff but they are quite easy to press depress. Anyway it sounded dull in my ear and "low" in the punch.
If you live in Europe Savarez strings (eg 510CR) are only slightly more expensive than e.g. EJ45. Savarez is not an expensive string here.
The savarez here priced from 15 to 25 usd.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm

nokturnal wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm
This is not far off European pricing (I get them at about 11€ for a set of 510CR or 540CR). The difference is, you are getting D'Addario pro Arte a lot cheaper than us. Here they cost about 10€ for an EJ45 set, which is substantially more than e.g. on Amazon US/SBM.

djqsrv

Post by djqsrv » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 pm

astro64 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:56 pm
Every time you go from a carbon set, such as Alliance, to a nylon set, the first reaction will be that you lost a lot in volume and brightness. But once the strings settle and you get used to playing them again, the difference seems smaller and in many ways the nylon sound better, for vibrato, for color, and less harshness, especially on the 1st string. I made the switch many times...But it does also depend on the guitar. A 3rd carbon works pretty much well in all cases, but I do have guitars where the 3rd nylon is fine too.
I am just completing a string quest. My go to has been ej46 for a long wile. But every now and again I get the pull to try other sets. Kind of want to see what I’m missing out on. I have done this quest a few times and it’s looking like I’m going to end this third right back at ej46. But what Astro64 wrote above is exactly how I feel with the carbon strings.
The only carbons I found that still retain the sound character of nylon were the dogal Diamante strong. They are very standard nylon sounding with a little more brightness. Dogal calls them a hybrid kind of half carbon. Maybe that is why.
I haven’t tried Mari yet but now after reading this thread I’m going to have to. I may be missing out on something better. :)
“I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.“ - Jimi Hendrix

nokturnal

Post by nokturnal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:28 am

joachim33 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm
nokturnal wrote:
This is not far off European pricing (I get them at about 11€ for a set of 510CR or 540CR). The difference is, you are getting D'Addario pro Arte a lot cheaper than us. Here they cost about 10€ for an EJ45 set, which is substantially more than e.g. on Amazon US/SBM.
Indeed for ej45. Is cheap here and it is genuine :) They last me about 3 months or more for 10 hours playing / week. For Savarez, I liked the basses and the durability when you holding them (before stringing), they are "Springy", can bounce easily, and I felt them Super Silky compared to EJ45.

The long lasting battle: Can anyone tell me either EJ45 or Saverez (Corum / HT Classic oly , let aside Cantiga) has longer string life?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am

I think the EJ45 and Cantiga probably physically wear at about the same rate, but to my ear the EJ45 lose their brightness a little quicker.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:43 am

nokturnal wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:28 am
joachim33 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm
nokturnal wrote:
Indeed for ej45. Is cheap here and it is genuine :) They last me about 3 months or more for 10 hours playing / week. For Savarez, I liked the basses and the durability when you holding them (before stringing), they are "Springy", can bounce easily, and I felt them Super Silky compared to EJ45.

The long lasting battle: Can anyone tell me either EJ45 or Saverez (Corum / HT Classic oly , let aside Cantiga) has longer string life?
I also do about 10h per week. For Savarez high tension (Cantiga) I get similar times. For the normal tension sets (Red, Corum/Cantiga/HT) I had 6 weeks to 2 month, after which I changed them to try something else. I could have used the Red sets longer. I am currently trying to stay in the Red or Mixed tension range, to avoid excessive left hand tension.

I had a set of EJ45C which I destroyed the D-string in 2 weeks. The D-string of that set is a lot lower tension (must mean thinner wire) than regular EJ45. Back than I was applying a lot of left hand pressure - I think I improved. I would need to reassess now. I had a set of EXP46 which I used for 3 month. No issue with the D-string on that set. I quite liked them as well but would like something easier on my left hand.

nokturnal

Post by nokturnal » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi joachim33
Yes daddario is the string with property that ease the left hand.
I remember few years ago i am training my LH, with blocking the strings with a cloth / block near bridge. Just slip a cloth underneath those strings and start playing. It is just nice where strings are muted so i can pump hard on RH, while the LH fingers remain light. It works for me.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”