Best clip on tuner

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Rognvald

Re: Best clip on tuner

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am
Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Thanks, all...found the older topic which was also helpful.
Is the Peterson StroboClip HD really worth the extra money? Is the guitar that much better in tune?
It is for me, but I am probably weird :D I just couldn't stand any tuners I tried until I bought this one (have both the old and the new model) - now my guitar is finally sufficiently in tune for my ears.

G,
What sweetened tuning do you use? Default, Gtr or Acu? You also mentioned there is a wider setting for the headstock than a standard setting? Thanks for your input . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:02 pm

No tuner is perfect as no guitar is perfect.

As we all know, we should all develop our aural skills & tune at least some of the time without an electronic tuner.

But in noisy environments I do use the micro soundhole tuner because it is no less accurate than others, can be left there until the battery runs out, is easier to see & is discreet.

I'll admit to disliking the appearance of clip-on headstock tuners because they spoil the appearance of the guitar (especially considering we spend thousands on our best guitar and we are usually very proud of its appearance) and you have to twist your head & look up right!

I use one in each of my most often used guitars. The only slight pain is they can be dislodged & fall into the guitar body if you are not careful.

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:03 pm

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm
G,
What sweetened tuning do you use? Default, Gtr or Acu? You also mentioned there is a wider setting for the headstock than a standard setting? Thanks for your input . . . Rognvald
I am not using any of the sweetened tunings - just the default. The other comment was about he maximum width of the clamp on the new Stroboclip HD - it could have been a bit wider. Some people have not been able to clip it on their classical guitars. However , Peterson is working on a larger clamp apparently.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 am
Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:26 pm
G,
I am not using any of the sweetened tunings - just the default. The other comment was about he maximum width of the clamp on the new Stroboclip HD - it could have been a bit wider. Some people have not been able to clip it on their classical guitars. However , Peterson is working on a larger clamp apparently.

Thanks, G for your input. Best, Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 pm

I love the D'Addario clip on sound hole tuners. I have one in each of my classical and steel string guitars. Unobtrusive and easy to use.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 am

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 am
The other comment was about he maximum width of the clamp on the new Stroboclip HD - it could have been a bit wider. Some people have not been able to clip it on their classical guitars. However , Peterson is working on a larger clamp apparently.
UPDATE: I just got the wider clamp from Peterson and it is perfect - exactly the same appearance as the original narrower clamp on the new Stroboclip HD, but a bit wider. So they have them now, and it is super easy to install - one little phillips screw and that's it.
Konstantin
--

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm

I just happened to check the Peterson site this week and noticed them advertising the wider clip. It didn't seem to be listed separately (by itself or as a new model for the whole tuner assembly) so I just ordered the Stroboclip HD from their link. I assume it will have the new clip and raised on/off button.

Even though I have the new Unitune and Cling On tuner, I still prefer my phone's tuner. Not sure why I buy these clip-ons... Anyway, I hope the Peterson is an upgrade.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Hotsoup wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm
Anyway, I hope the Peterson is an upgrade.
If you get the narrower clamp, just go to their website and ask for the wider one. They'll replace it free of charge - at least based on my experience and that of a few others.
Konstantin
--

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:24 pm
Hotsoup wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 pm
Anyway, I hope the Peterson is an upgrade.
If you get the narrower clamp, just go to their website and ask for the wider one. They'll replace it free of charge - at least based on my experience and that of a few others.
Awesome. I also use the StroboClip and have noticed that it does not fit very tightly. I called Peterson and they said they would mail me out a wider clip. I'll post when I get it.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:02 pm

I just spoke to Peterson and they are mailing out the wider clamp. Nice company to deal with and great tuners.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Received mine yesterday, and I think I got the old clamp. The main tuner body looks updated, but the clamp only opens up to around .9", so it's an uncomfortable squeeze on the headstock. I opened up a support ticket to request a bigger clamp.

I did register and update the firmware through the site though, and it was pretty painless (chrome browser, windows 7 OS). It installed a plugin and then recognized/synced the tuner right away.

Tuning did seem to work very well for the short time I had it on the guitar.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Hotsoup wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Received mine yesterday, and I think I got the old clamp.

Here's how to tell if you have the old narrower (left) or the new wider (right) clamp on your StroboclipHD:

peterson-clamp-comparison.JPG

Look at the four marked areas:
  1. the base part of the pivot is higher - notice where the pivot point is on the old (left) vs. the new (right);
  2. the distance between the rim of the top part and the top of the clamp has increased (see length of green line between the two);
  3. the black hard plastic in area 3 has been eliminated, allowing the swivel rubbery bit to fit flat as the clamp is opened much wider;
  4. the blueish rubber in area 4 - not there on the left, but added on the bigger base in the wider clamp on the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Here's how to tell if you have the old narrower (left) or the new wider (right) clamp on your StroboclipHD:

peterson-clamp-comparison.JPG

Look at the four marked areas:
  1. the base part of the pivot is higher - notice where the pivot point is on the old (left) vs. the new (right);
  2. the distance between the rim of the top part and the top of the clamp has increased (see length of green line between the two);
  3. the black hard plastic in area 3 has been eliminated, allowing the swivel rubbery bit to fit flat as the clamp is opened much wider;
  4. the blueish rubber in area 4 - not there on the left, but added on the bigger base in the wider clamp on the right.
Thanks for this, you confirmed my suspicion. :merci:

BruceB

Post by BruceB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:35 pm

I already have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner for at home and really like strobe tuners for their accuracy.

I now need to get a clip tuner for use in the noisy environment of a classical guitar ensemble. I have narrowed it down to the Stroboclip HD or the Unitune both seem pretty good for the job but I have been unable to try either. Any recommendations which would be best in this situation?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”