Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
JezzaKool

Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Post by JezzaKool » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:37 pm

I’m looking for advice on best strings for my guitar. I would class myself as a beginner, although have been playing for five years! I currently use Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540J High Tension and find string 1 to be rather harsh and unmusical, otherwise a lovely sounding set of strings. Any suggestions please on strings that might improve the sound of my guitar, particularly the high E string.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Strings for Amalio Burguet Model 3

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 am

If you are looking to just get the high E calmed down a bit, try a Knobloch nylon in hard tension. I really like the Ramirez HT Nylon set with, or without, the Carbon G. Every guitar I have used these strings on sounded great, from a $180.00 Lucero, to mid priced models like the many Cordobas I've had, all the way to the three Ramirez I've owned. I think the Ramirez brand high E sounds best, but you can't find just a single string in that brand. You have to buy the whole set. You also might want to try a Hannabach 815 nylon High E.

If you like the sound of carbon, but want it toned down a bit, Dogal Diamanté trebles are quite good. Be sure to order the strong or extra strong tension (they are the same). The Dogal Diamanté are carbon/nylon hybrids. The g string sounds pretty much like nylon, without the tubby sound.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 am

When I played my Burguet 3M I found it performed well with a wide variety of strings, unlike my Ana Espinosa. That only performs well with carbon strings but Savarez Alliance give a rather harsh sound on the first string. At present I am trying Oasis Claro which are carbon but with a nylon first string. I had to buy them from SBM but their service was excellent. I have only just fitted them but will let you know how they sound after a few days.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Many thanks Laudiesdad69 and DerekB. It’s reassuring to know I’m not alone in finding the high E can be rather strident. So, quite a few recommendations to try! Which one do I go for first? I’m tempted to try the Ramirez but they seem to be out of stock with most UK suppliers currently, so I will wait for you to feed back on your findings on the Oasis Claro carbon plus nylon E set, Derek. Thanks again.

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:11 pm

The Oasis Claro have had a chance to settle in on my Ana Espinosa. Last week I got my teacher to play it for me so I could hear the true sound and fell in love with it all over again. He commented on the beautiful sound from the third string. The top E is not at all harsh although the sustain is not as good as with Alliance. The bass strings are a little weak. I should say worth a try on the Burguet but you will have to order them from the US as no-one seems to sell them in the UK. They should be no dearer than a decent set of strings in the UK even allowing for the extra postage.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 am

Many thanks for your feedback Derek. Oasis Claro sounds promising. I have just ordered some Ramirez HT Nylon strings but will order a set of Claro to try next.

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Some feedback on my experiences. Having played my Burguet for a couple of months now with Ramirez HT Nylon I have to admit overall disappointment with the results. Initially I swapped the single Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540J HT high E string and was pleased with the results: the Ramirez string certainly tamed the harsh sound. After a week or so I switched to the full set of Ramirez strings and then after three or four weeks a second set of Ramirez strings. Generally the sound is weaker and rather light weight across the board with very poor sustain - excepting the high E - than when playing with the Alliances. My teacher describes the guitar now as sounding like 'a girl's guitar' - whatever that means! She's attempting to persuade me that a new guitar is needed, not just new strings! Certainly playing the Alhambra guitar she uses for teaching produces a much fuller and satisfying sound. It's like having an entirely different and much more responsive instrument in your hands. So it's back to the drawing board for now and I'll order some Claro to give them a try before giving up on the Burguet. Any other thoughts welcomed.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Have you tried any of the D'Addario EJ45 or 46 variants (composite, titanium, nylon, etc?). They just always seem to be a great string with a nice sound and feel.

Another thought is you might want to look up the Amalio Burguet facebook page and send them a PM. I've found them to be responsive. Let them know the issues you've had and they might be able to suggest some strings for your model and top.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:24 pm

JezzaKool wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm
Some feedback on my experiences. Having played my Burguet for a couple of months now with Ramirez HT Nylon I have to admit overall disappointment with the results. Initially I swapped the single Savarez Alliance HT Classic 540J HT high E string and was pleased with the results: the Ramirez string certainly tamed the harsh sound. After a week or so I switched to the full set of Ramirez strings and then after three or four weeks a second set of Ramirez strings. Generally the sound is weaker and rather light weight across the board with very poor sustain - excepting the high E - than when playing with the Alliances. My teacher describes the guitar now as sounding like 'a girl's guitar' - whatever that means! She's attempting to persuade me that a new guitar is needed, not just new strings! Certainly playing the Alhambra guitar she uses for teaching produces a much fuller and satisfying sound. It's like having an entirely different and much more responsive instrument in your hands. So it's back to the drawing board for now and I'll order some Claro to give them a try before giving up on the Burguet. Any other thoughts welcomed.
If you come from Savarez 540J, why not try 540CJ or 540CRJ, same bass strings, but clear Nylon trebles: "New Cristal". The CJ is high tension, the CRJ is normal tension trebbles with high tension bass strings. I am currently using a 540CR set (normal tension all the way) and am quite happy with that, but still feel like experimenting more. In their Cantiga line, Savarez does mixed sets, 510MR and 510MJ, which are called "Creation". These have Cantiga basses (Model 510), Alliance 3G and New Cristal 2B and 1E. I have a 510MR set to try in future. In my experience the New Cristal take some time (2 weeks) to open up, but so did the Alliance set I used about a year ago. Based on what you write, that you were almost happy with 540J, I would start with trying either of 540CJ or 510MJ.

On the other hand have you considered nail shape? I was quite unhappy with my 1E string until I changed my a-finger nail to a different shape from i and m-finger. The a-finger now slants the other way from i and m. Arpeggios sound more even now, with the 1E not standing out as much any more.

Out of interest, can you put a value to your current guitar and the Alhambra your teacher uses? Even if you upgrade the guitar, I doubt this is likely to go away. Many players are unhappy with the 1E in carbon sets.

JezzaKool

Post by JezzaKool » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Thank you ameriken and joachim33 for your thoughts. Very much appreciated.

I haven't tried D'Addario EJ45 or 46 on the Burguet, ameriken. I do have a set of EJ45's, the string I used on my first guitar, an Admira Malaga, to good effect. I was thinking of giving them a try. Certainly, I will ask Burguet on their Facebook page for their suggestions.

Your suggestion joachim33 of trying different treble sets in the Savaerz range sounds attractive too. Maybe I'll start with the 540CJ? Regarding nail shape: I'm playing with very little nail, just a touch, with a slope from left to right. My first teacher recommended this as I sounded quite strident with nails (on the Admira) and I've stuck with it.

Good point on the value of my teacher's Alhambra relative to my Burguet! Specification alone would suggest the Alhambra should sound better. The Alhambra is in fact an all solid wood guitar, with a cedar top, and I rather think a luthier model not 'just' a 10p. My Model 3 Burguet is (I believe) solid top only and spruce. Whilst my 10 year old (bought 2nd hand) Burguet is almost mint, the Alhambra is a little older and somewhat battle scarred, so they are probably both worth a similar amount but I know which I would prefer! Interestingly my teacher felt the Burguet sounded very much better when I saw her earlier this week: maybe the Ramirez strings have settled down, maybe I'm striking the strings a little better, or maybe the winter weather suits the Burguet!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

If the strings sound weak, and it the sustain of notes is short, you are probably using the wrong tension set. Try a medium tension D'Addario EJ45 set that you have to start with and see if your guitars sound improves. I say use EJ45 first because they are a clear, neutral sounding string to me... listen to how that set sounds on your guitar, and then make note of what colors you would like to add. This could be a job for Petermc61.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 am

JezzaKool wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm
maybe the Ramirez strings have settled down, maybe I'm striking the strings a little better, or maybe the winter weather suits the Burguet!
Or maybe all three. Or two out of the three. Or none of the above.

Always drives me nuts trying to figure out 'why' everything will sound so incredible one day and not so much the next. :D
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm

JezzaKool wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 pm
Always drives me nuts trying to figure out 'why' everything will sound so incredible one day and not so much the next. :D
THIS! YES... and some of it is dryness or moistness of flesh on RH fingertips (I play nail-less), weather and guitar top, lapse of technique, etc...

A never-ending battle, but still a worthwhile pursuit.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Another set you could try is Dogal Diamanté trebles. They are carbon/nylon hybrid. A little brighter than pure nylon. The G string sounds like nylon, but not tubby like nylon. They aren’t as bright as, or shrill, like the Alliance. Try these with Savarez Cantiga basses. I sometimes use the medium tension Cantiga basses with the regular tension Dogal Diamantes.

If the bass seems to over power the trebles, try the Diamantes in strong tension. You should also use strong if you are using HT basses. I just love the Cantiga/Diamanté on my daughter’s Ramirez 2E. Bases are the Red med tension Cantigas with regular tension Diamantes. They balance nicely together.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”