Wyres Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Wyres Strings

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello,
I have received a few different sets of Wyres Strings from Canada for testing from a luthier friend, and put a Extra Hard Tension Signature set onto my Sascha Nowak, a guitar that takes high tension strings very well.
Here are my findings after havnig them 3 days on the guitar (they may need some more time to really settle; I'll update)
  • they are not as hard as I would expect from the denomination (put an extra hard Hannabach set on and you know what I mean
  • they remind me very much of Daniel Mari strings: I'd guess trebles are basically the same and also basses are unusually tightly wound, like Daniel Mari basses
  • I love the trebles, as much as I love the Daniel Mari trebles . they are the best sounding nylon trebles I know of (in my ears)
  • Quite similar to my experience, the basses, especially the E-6, seem not very alive, though full-bodied, but lacking higher harmonics (and this certainly is not an issue with the guitar which has very alive bass - also this reminds me of my experience with Daniel Mari bass strings, especially the E-6
The last point might work out well on guitars with a little too pointed bass. All in all the set seems to emphasize the roundness and take away a bit of the sparkling quality of this guitar. The playing feeling is very nice and vibrato translates exceptionally well despite the extra hard tension denomination. They are certainly a kind of 'relatives' of Daniel Mari strings in their over all quality. I'm curious about their durability and I'll keep you posted about that...

To summarize my subjective perception: This is a well balanced and very well playable set of strings of not so extreme tension of a rather dark and round sound character with a slight lack of contour in the lowest bass

I can't find this specific set on the Wyres homepage, so I have no idea what they cost.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Laudiesdad69

Re: Wyres Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

I just tried to order from their website and they are telling me that my email address is invalid. I was going to try the Hauser set, as their other ones seem to be 80/20 bronze and I have never met a set of bronze basses that I liked. The Hauser set is about $18.00. Not exactly cheap, nor very expensive. I will see about giving them a call sometime this week or emailing them, to see if I can get a set.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm not sure how well this website is serviced, because they even don't mention what is probably their most expensive set (that signature set I was talking about...).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm
I'm not sure how well this website is serviced, because they even don't mention what is probably their most expensive set (that signature set I was talking about...).
Placed a trial order of one MT Hauser set and never received any order progress message except the receipt confirmation of my payment. After several useless contact attempts, it needed filing of an Paypal issue to force a reaction. The reply showed that they didn‘t have any clou of what had been ordered but anyway everthing was sold out except TC20, whatever strings this might be!? We’ll see how long refunding will take! Wonder if anybody made better experiences? :?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

Just to follow up: I have already dismissed the E-6 string because it was so dull it was no pleasure to play ... I think the others will follow soon. The Trebles are quite nice, sound like Daniel Mari trebles.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Now Hard Tension ("Hand made series, *C &H Series P.T.F.E Enhanced"j set on the same guitar. A lot of names!

They suite the guitar certainly better than the previous set. Had to dismiss the g string after few days; a bit dull, and, worse, ways to sharp on the 12 fret.
The bass strings are quite stiff and very fundamental tone oriented, though not outrightly dull. I'm a bit ambivalent about them. They have something I could call 'noble' in their tone, but then also a bit boring. Nice trebles. I'll see how they develop and I'll report...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 am

Just to update: I have the Wyres HT strings for more than two weeks. They needed very long to settle down, after they are basically settled (I still have to retune them more than usual, though), I quite like them. The basses are not on the bright side, the b2 amd e1 are very nice, singing and if not outright bright so quite rich in harmonics.
The set plays very well for being denominated Hard Tension, and I would summarize the sound as distinguished, elegant, old fashion...

Whether it makes sense to try to order them, if it's so complicated, I don't know ...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm

They seem kind of fly by night. They don’t tell what their trimetal silver plated basses are actually made from. I don’t want any brass in them. There are so many other strings that are the same price or less, I won’t bother with Wyres. If the strings were that good,I would think one of the distributors in the US would have them.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm
... If the strings were that good,I would think one of the distributors in the US would have them.
They seem to have the same kind of idea of 'underground marketing' like Daniel Mari strings, which are very good, but hardly known ... my intuition tells me that they might be even the same or at least connected ... the bass strings are of similar stiffness like Mari and also trebles are quite similar if not same...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:19 am

Yeah, I think there are only two outfits that sell Mari in USA. Does anybody sell them in Europe?i was looking up various stats on Mari, and one of the years showed the companies revenue. It was quite low. Not even a half a mil. And they make other strings besides classical guitar strings. I was amazed to find that they sell bass guitar strings.
And Mr Mari is getting on in years. If/when he passes, I wonder if we will still be able to get our CG strings? I am always buying their trebles from Ostrie in California. One thing that probably keeps Mari out of major retailers is the fact that LaBella is in most of the major retailers.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:19 am
...Yeah, I think there are only two outfits that sell Mari in USA. Does anybody sell them in Europe?..
The guitarwebshop in Switzerland is to my knowledge the only shop in the EU offering Mari strings. Unfortunately only complete sets and additional import tax for all EU countries except Switzerland. There had been another supplier in Frankfurt but this shop has disappeared meanwhile. So the supply situation is by fare not satisfactory. :?

Martijn Ruiter

Post by Martijn Ruiter » Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 pm

es335 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
...Yeah, I think there are only two outfits that sell Mari in USA. Does anybody sell them in Europe?..
The guitarwebshop in Switzerland is to my knowledge the only shop in the EU offering Mari strings. Unfortunately only complete sets and additional import tax for all EU countries except Switzerland. There had been another supplier in Frankfurt but this shop has disappeared meanwhile. So the supply situation is by fare not satisfactory. :?
Classical-Strings (Germany) sells Mari strings. I believe 8,50 for complete sets. I'm not sure if trebles are available but as you probably know if you ask it's often possible!

es335

Post by es335 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Martijn Ruiter wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 pm
es335 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Classical-Strings (Germany) sells Mari strings. I believe 8,50 for complete sets. I'm not sure if trebles are available but as you probably know if you ask it's often possible!
I’m glad to hear that Mrs. Enders still keeps selling these strings, though they are not listes on her website. Thanks! Then that‘s definitely the cheapest source in the EU! :merci:

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 pm

My experience with Wyres strings is all related to steel string guitars. I love them. Because this is a small, family operation you are not going to get delivery from stock most of the time and most certainly will not get a delivery time estimate. I take this into account when it is time to restock. To me, their strings are worth the extra effort. You can find the steel strings in stock at Elderly Instruments. I have never seen nylons there.

Cincy
2015 Traphagen Brazilian/Spruce

A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm

I have never seen nylons there.
When I was a boy I used to like to look at the nylons section of the Sears Catalog. :wink:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”