Wyres Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Wyres Strings

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Hello,
I have received a few different sets of Wyres Strings from Canada for testing from a luthier friend, and put a Extra Hard Tension Signature set onto my Sascha Nowak, a guitar that takes high tension strings very well.
Here are my findings after havnig them 3 days on the guitar (they may need some more time to really settle; I'll update)
  • they are not as hard as I would expect from the denomination (put an extra hard Hannabach set on and you know what I mean
  • they remind me very much of Daniel Mari strings: I'd guess trebles are basically the same and also basses are unusually tightly wound, like Daniel Mari basses
  • I love the trebles, as much as I love the Daniel Mari trebles . they are the best sounding nylon trebles I know of (in my ears)
  • Quite similar to my experience, the basses, especially the E-6, seem not very alive, though full-bodied, but lacking higher harmonics (and this certainly is not an issue with the guitar which has very alive bass - also this reminds me of my experience with Daniel Mari bass strings, especially the E-6
The last point might work out well on guitars with a little too pointed bass. All in all the set seems to emphasize the roundness and take away a bit of the sparkling quality of this guitar. The playing feeling is very nice and vibrato translates exceptionally well despite the extra hard tension denomination. They are certainly a kind of 'relatives' of Daniel Mari strings in their over all quality. I'm curious about their durability and I'll keep you posted about that...

To summarize my subjective perception: This is a well balanced and very well playable set of strings of not so extreme tension of a rather dark and round sound character with a slight lack of contour in the lowest bass

I can't find this specific set on the Wyres homepage, so I have no idea what they cost.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Laudiesdad69

Re: Wyres Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

I just tried to order from their website and they are telling me that my email address is invalid. I was going to try the Hauser set, as their other ones seem to be 80/20 bronze and I have never met a set of bronze basses that I liked. The Hauser set is about $18.00. Not exactly cheap, nor very expensive. I will see about giving them a call sometime this week or emailing them, to see if I can get a set.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm not sure how well this website is serviced, because they even don't mention what is probably their most expensive set (that signature set I was talking about...).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:21 pm
I'm not sure how well this website is serviced, because they even don't mention what is probably their most expensive set (that signature set I was talking about...).
Placed a trial order of one MT Hauser set and never received any order progress message except the receipt confirmation of my payment. After several useless contact attempts, it needed filing of an Paypal issue to force a reaction. The reply showed that they didn‘t have any clou of what had been ordered but anyway everthing was sold out except TC20, whatever strings this might be!? We’ll see how long refunding will take! Wonder if anybody made better experiences? :?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

Just to follow up: I have already dismissed the E-6 string because it was so dull it was no pleasure to play ... I think the others will follow soon. The Trebles are quite nice, sound like Daniel Mari trebles.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”