Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am

I was looking around on e - b a y at the budget strings and found Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon strings for $4.33 a set in a three pack. This was the same price per set as ordering 12 sets from another seller Bay seller.

Has anybody tried These? The price was a dollar a set cheaper than strings by mail. So I ordered. I figured that since these three sets were cheaper than one set of Savarez 520R at my local music store, I would give them a try.

I've got to say that out of the dozen or so different brands and sets that I have tried on my Ramirez 4NE, that only 3 sets that I tried were keepers, meaning that I would use these sets again (EJ45, Ramirez medium tension with Carbon G, and Savarez Cantiga basses/Dogal Diamante trebles). And, it's not that any of the other sets I tried were bad, it's just that these three sets sounded really good on that particular guitar.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the price of a given set of strings and the beauty that they bring to one's ears, so I am hopeful that these will sound good...I just have to wait and see.

es335
Posts: 1449
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by es335 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm

They are ok strings which means intonation is ok and they do sound somehow. Anyway better than Alice strings for instance. Knowing your other preferences these strings will most probably be underwhelming rather than exciting. Their best feature is IMHO that the trebles‘ ball ends are reusable. BTW this was the main motivation to try them. :wink:

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 am

I didn't think I ordered the ball end strings. I hope not. I am just looking for cheap sets to use just to see if there is anything else out there. I was really surprised that the D'Addario EJ45 sounded as good as they did on my Ramirez. They are usually just so so on the other guitars I've used them on. Also good to have some cheap strings I can use on a cheap guitar that I buy to flip.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

I put the Earnie Ball Ernesto Palla Clear and Silver medium tension strings on the camper, my $200 Lucero today, and wow do these strings settle fast. The basses have stayed in tune after a couple of hours and the trebles only require a little tweaking after about 15-20 minutes of play.

The G is a little tubby, but we shall see if that goes away after the strings have been on a few days. The sound? About like D’Addario EJ45 on the trebles as far as volume. Overall a clear, and uncolored tone. The basses seem a little stronger, and deeper. Sustain is good. Notes seem to take longer to decay compared to the EJ45. Pleasant sounding. The trebles feel a little firmer than EJ45.

I will buy these again. They are $4.33 a set when you buy 3 on FleaBay. I would suggest these to anybody that is stuck on EJ45’s. You can get 4 sets of these for the price of one set of Ramirez. And yes the Ramirez sound better, but they are $20 a set. These are definitely better than D’Adds.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:56 am

Happy Turkey Day! The Earnie Ball strings are fully settled now. The treble strings really sing, and have mellowed a bit as far as tone. They are actually quite sweet now. Still clear, but warmer. The trebles really do match well with the basses. I will try them next on my Ramirez, just to see how good they sound on a good guitar.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Well, these strings have been on about 10 days now. The sound is clear with a hint of golden color in the tone. They are very responsive. I can play ever so lightly, and every nuance is heard. That said, I can play ever so tenderly, but along with that comes amplification of any mistakes in technique. These are great strings for practice, but they are really unforgiving if one doesn't have proper finger placement and clean technique.
They force you to make adjustments that clean up your sound. Now that I've had about a week to play on them, I don't notice any squeaks, unwanted noises anymore. They are so sensitive to any input, which is nice for playing tender pieces. But I'm not sure that I would want to use them for a performance as they are mercilessly unforgiving.
I will be playing on them tonight at our quarterly CG get together. I've been practicing the same piece for the last several days on these strings and it has really improved. These strings are great if you have a gentle vibrato. They really sound sweet in that respect.

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by cefyn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Be careful - there are some counterfeit Ernie Ball, D'addario and Savarez strings on the Bay - D'addario package their strings with a code on that you can use to verify their authenticity (Play Real) - If your strings turn out to be counterfeit, D'addario will replace them with genuine strings.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 pm

cefyn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm
Be careful - there are some counterfeit Ernie Ball, D'addario and Savarez strings on the Bay - D'addario package their strings with a code on that you can use to verify their authenticity (Play Real) - If your strings turn out to be counterfeit, D'addario will replace them with genuine strings.

Cef.
Does Ernie Ball or Savarez have a way to Verify? Thanks. I had heard this about the D'Addario before and I knew they had a code.

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by cefyn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:42 am

As far as I know, it's just D'addario that has the verification code one can check online

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

astro64
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by astro64 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 pm
cefyn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm
Be careful - there are some counterfeit Ernie Ball, D'addario and Savarez strings on the Bay - D'addario package their strings with a code on that you can use to verify their authenticity (Play Real) - If your strings turn out to be counterfeit, D'addario will replace them with genuine strings.

Cef.
Does Ernie Ball or Savarez have a way to Verify? Thanks. I had heard this about the D'Addario before and I knew they had a code.
It would be somewhat ironic if it turns out that it is the fake ones you like, right? I wouldn't worry about it, if they sound good, what is not to like?

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Ernie Ball Clear and Silver Nylon Strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 pm

astro64 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 pm
cefyn wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:26 pm
Be careful - there are some counterfeit Ernie Ball, D'addario and Savarez strings on the Bay - D'addario package their strings with a code on that you can use to verify their authenticity (Play Real) - If your strings turn out to be counterfeit, D'addario will replace them with genuine strings.

Cef.
Does Ernie Ball or Savarez have a way to Verify? Thanks. I had heard this about the D'Addario before and I knew they had a code.
It would be somewhat ironic if it turns out that it is the fake ones you like, right? I wouldn't worry about it, if they sound good, what is not to like?
I don't think the ones I ordered are fake. I just wanted to know if they have a way to verify. I had heard, for a long time, about D'Addario being pirated. But this is the first time I've heard anything about Ernie Ball, or Savarez. The EB'S I ordered were from a seller in California that I've purchased from before. Who knows though, it could be I am not playing cheap Ernie Ball, but playing expensive Alice instead🐴

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”