Sweetest Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Portland Bill

Sweetest Strings

Post by Portland Bill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:47 pm

What would you say are the sweetest sounding strings, I have a David Rouse guitar in Cedar & BRW whose tone is on the firm side, I am using Augustine Red Label at the moment but yearn for a slightly softer bass and a sweeter treble ?

jhapgood

Re: Sweetest Strings

Post by jhapgood » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi Bill,

Right now, I am currently using D'Addario EJ-30 Normal Tension Rectified strings because I think they give me a little fuller, sweeter, rounder sound with not quite so much punch on the bass side with my guitar and technique. I have a Jose Ramirez 2NE that is cedar/IRW. Don't know if you can tolerate the rectified, but I like the full, round, sweet sound I am getting right now using these strings. I play no nails, FYI.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Pede

Post by Pede » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 pm

I think Hannabach 815 LT will do that job, or Labella Rectified for the trebles.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:17 am

I find D'Addario EJ45 to be very sweet trebles.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:41 am

I don't know. Trying to find out which strings would do what is a bit like trying to buy tyres without knowing the car. It depends so much on the combination of both that it's really impossible to say how it actually will sound. Just tendencies in best case.

To give an example: recently I put a set of HT Corum/Alliance on a guitar. Usually the Alliance trebles give me a very present tone full of higher harmonics, but on this guitar (probably because of the tension, because the guitar is far from being on a mellow side, they sound actually quite sweet.

Some people think, if they lower the tension, they get a sweeter, rounder tone, but it can be just the contrary.

Given all these considerations, as for nice round bass and sweet trebles you could use e.g. Aquila Alabastro LT set as a starter and see what it does for you. I'm affraid you'll not get ther in one go, though. A bit of experimentation is necessary.

best luck Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 am

Try Ramirez medium tension.

Portland Bill

Post by Portland Bill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to have a bash with some low tension if for no other reason than ease of playing after my hiatus, I have never heard it mentioned in the GG world but its noted with steal string guitars that putting a heavier gauge string on sometimes has the opposite effect of what one would assume, due to the top being bound too tightly by the tension of the strings.

Any thoughts on this ?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Portland Bill wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 am
... I have never heard it mentioned in the GG world but its noted with steal string guitars that putting a heavier gauge string on sometimes has the opposite effect of what one would assume, due to the top being bound too tightly by the tension of the strings.

Any thoughts on this ?
Same with CG. Think of it (in a simplified way) as a spring that has been put under pre-tension (no pun intended!) If the top is already almost at the end of where it can go, it's not going to move too much...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:42 pm

I second Peter's recommendation of the Ramirez medium tension. These have sounded good on several guitars that I put them on, including a 200 dollar Lucero. I did have a Ramirez that the best sounding strings for it turned out to be D'Addario EJ45, so it is probably going to take some experimentation to find the best sound for a particular guitar. But, I think you will be surprised at how good the Ramirez strings will make just about any guitar sound.

mandolynie

Post by mandolynie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Do the rectified strings produce more strings noise? I’m thinking of trying the but I don’t want more noise on my fretting hand.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm

mandolynie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 pm
Do the rectified strings produce more strings noise? I’m thinking of trying the but I don’t want more noise on my fretting hand.
Typically, yes.

mandolynie

Post by mandolynie » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Good to know. Thanks for your quick response. I almost bought some but I don’t think it is what it want. :merci:

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:47 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:23 pm
mandolynie wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 pm
Typically, yes.
While I was trying out a lot of different strings out I tried rectified trebles once. Only once. I simply could not get used to the scratchy feel of the things. I kept thinking my nails needed polishing.

The sweetest sounding trebles I have tried are Hannabach 815 low tension and Aquila Nylguts. I use the 815s almost exclusively now but really liked the Aquilas soundwise. Basses - Savarez Corums or Cantigas. I used the former on my main guitar.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Oh, for the gent with the Ramirez 2NE, my daughter has a 2NE that sounds really good with Savarez 520R. The trebles are rectified, and are very sweet.

Leo

Post by Leo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:54 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Oh, for the gent with the Ramirez 2NE, my daughter has a 2NE that sounds really good with Savarez 520R. The trebles are rectified, and are very sweet.
Agree, really like 520's, if you like light tension the 520B's are nice.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”