What strings produce sweet sound?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: What strings produce sweet sound?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 pm

I have one more suggestion. These strings are great if you are a very sensitive, nuanced player, but they are also very unforgiving of poor technique and finger squeaks. They are Ernie Ball Ernesto Palla clear and silver strings. I use them on my practice guitar and after about a week really cleaned up my technique. The trebles are very sweet, and they are cheap. I bought them from the bay and they were $4.33 a set in a three pack. Not spectacular, but a good practice string. They are great for vibrato.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Thank for your input, I do appreciate it. Technique is of course an issue, I am working on, but I am glad to hear others had similar problems with their guitars.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm still liking the Mari medium tension trebles; I think that they're 'sweet' sounding but I don't think that that's the first adjective that would pop into mind when describing them. It would be one of the adjectives, however.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 pm
I'm still liking the Mari medium tension trebles; I think that they're 'sweet' sounding but I don't think that that's the first adjective that would pop into mind when describing them. It would be one of the adjectives, however.
Where do you get your Mari Strings from?

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Ostrie music supplies. SBM doesn't distribute them because of a family dispute that another maker has with the Marie maker (same family, the Marie guy went off on his own.) If you google Marie strings some other distributors will come up.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 am

I also thoroughly endorse Ostrie Music Supplies for Mari - nice guy with good service.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 am
I also thoroughly endorse Ostrie Music Supplies for Mari - nice guy with good service.
I discovered Fernandez music in Washington, USA sells Mari classical strings. They are 4 sets for 30 dollars shipped. I will make an order in the morning. Does Ostrie sell treble only sets?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:55 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 am
petermc61 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:13 am
I discovered Fernandez music in Washington, USA sells Mari classical strings. They are 4 sets for 30 dollars shipped. I will make an order in the morning. Does Ostrie sell treble only sets?
Absolutely, that’s all I buy. Trebles by the bucketload!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 am

Sweet, I'll check it out. My camping guitar is itching for new strings. I'll call em in the A.M.

amezcua

Post by amezcua » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 pm

eno mentioned nail angle with respect to the strings. Yesterday I noticed that I was holding the guitar at too low an angle . When I adjusted that to match the way my fingers were placed , the sound quality improved instantly . So for any new players check the overall angle of the guitar to match your fingers. Trying to adjust your hand angle will not be a permanent reliable fix .
Connected with that I am going to try a wacky idea to keep that angle correct. It`s to fit a string loop at the top of the tuner box and suspend the guitar from a wooden support .A bit of padding on the wood will avoid scratching . Just a simple loop onto a hook should work ok . I never settled the business of holding a guitar at the right angle and don`t like using a left foot support either. I might be able to keep both feet on the ground . Parts needed? Broom stick. One screw - in hook. Two .jubilee clips. Padding .

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”