2 Questions about light gauge Strings ??

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MarkInLA

2 Questions about light gauge Strings ??

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 am

Hi. I would like to hear from those of you who always use light gauge strings, just why you do. I know tension claim varies from maker to maker. But generally speaking, why do you ? Secondly, would you happen to know what internationally acclaimed classical guitarist(s) use light gauge. For instance it might more likely be a female such as S.Isbin, A.Vidovic, due to generally having smaller, thinner fingers/hands than most males. But males included. No value judgements here. Thanks, M

Carey

Re: 2 Questions about light gauge Strings ??

Post by Carey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 pm

I mainly use low tension strings because they produce more, and more pleasing, overtones. As the tension goes up the guitar starts to sound more
like a piano, which is fine, just not my thing. The softer tension also makes more sensitive vibrato possible, as well as RH touch, at least for me.
Last edited by Carey on Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnd

Post by johnd » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Easier on my fingers - left hand.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks for nice replies so far. I guess you can't answer the 2nd question, which is understandable. Maybe someone will know. But will you tell me the make of your low tension that you like; D'addario, LaBella.... ? MH

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 am

I have used light gauge strings before. They resulted in a super low action and sustained like crazy but, due to temperature/humidity differences, would result in a totally flat neck with no relief, and hence, buzzing.
Only about 3 1/2 pounds difference between the light tension and medium tension that I used, but the mediums provided some relief to the neck, and took care of the buzzing. So now I just use the mediums.
I did like the low tension feel on my left hand.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:31 am

Mark,
I bought my cordoba c-10 (cedar) in July 2016 and most recently have used Savarez HT. Tonight I put Augustine MT Reds on and the difference was immediately noticeable on my left hand. The sound is also a pleasant surprise. Wish I could be a little more descriptive but they have only been on for a few hours. But at this time I would say these are a winner.

Eddie
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”