?? Why not Flat Wounds ??

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Re: ?? Why not Flat Wounds ??

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:24 pm
Thomastik makes a flatwound...try them, they are German :)

:lol: that's a good one :lol: they were German during the IIID Reich... It's Austria. As German as NY is texan... :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks for replies thus far. I do see there are Thomastik or Hannabach flat wounds. But they're like $7 EACH ! Fuhgeddaboudit !! MH :shock:

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am

Recently I played a set pf Savarez Corum polished (they are discontinued though, but there is a polished set of Cantiga istead). The basses are much less noisy, but there are also much more expensive than the usual sets, and also they are duller than normal strings, although I'd call the sound 'elegant' and 'distinguished' :) I think they are around 30 US$ the set.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Oh that's right they are Austrian...hahahah. Anyways, the Thomastik are nice but have a more steel string sound to them.

I'm re-visitin the ghs again this week, it's been awhile. I seem to remember liking them but finding them to be less accepted than the standard line of strings.

We'll see, I highly doubt they'll break as much as what was said.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 pm

John Williams in a 2011 interview:

"Another problem is squeaks – no matter how you rationalize it, they’re always there although they can be minimized by both the player and the string manufacturer. I like D’Addario’s polished and semi-polished strings, although I haven’t tried the ones put out by LaBella. The polished string is a flat wound string, but the secret is in the winding and there seems to be a number of new approaches around to this."

http://www.classicalguitarreview.com/an ... part-1/52/
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:06 am

I put Daddario EJ46LP on one of my guitars three days ago and I', very positively impressed (at least certainly about the bass strings; I have my problems with the nylon Daddario trebles, although they work better on this guitar than on some others). But the basses are surprisingly rich in sound, have a lot of overtones and aren't dull at all as mostly happens with polished strings. And the look really cool, kind of pre-used ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”