Royal Classic recital strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dave Stott

Re: Royal Classic recital strings

Post by Dave Stott » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

Umm, the RC Recital only comes in one tension. "Medium". 😀
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:56 am

Dave Stott wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am
Umm, the RC Recital only comes in one tension. "Medium". 😀
How do you like them on your cedar top? Also, how do they feel tension wise? Do they truly feel like a medium tension set? Are they pliable or stiff? :merci:

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to try them on my Cordoba Solista Cedar yet.

My GK Pro Negra Spruce top has been my main guitar lately. It's been in heavy use at open mic nights and weekly gatherings lately.

The Solista is starting to feel neglected.

Tension wise, I think they feel a lot like the Mari P100 for the trebles, but with a slightly mellower sound. But there's a tactile feeling to the Recitals trebles that I like. It's not rough surface, but there's a grip feel to them when digging in for louder notes.

Since I'm a big fan of the Savarez Cantiga Basses, the Recital basses haven't been installed on my guitar.

Dave

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:32 am

Going by what other sets with similar diameters of strings have tension wise, these may actually equal other makers med/hard or hard tension. I decided I would order a couple of sets, and see if the action measurements change after I install them on my guitar.

If the trebles turn out to have a stiff feel to them, I probably won’t like them. But if they feel similar to the trebles in the Savarez 520R set, I will probably like them. They will have to wait until the Hannabachs are ready to be changed though.

I just ordered 70 bucks worth of strings today from Strings by Mail. The Recital strings were the cheapest set of the bunch at around 10 dollars. Hopefully, they will compare well to the Cantiga/Diamanté combination, and the Ramirez with carbon G that I usually use.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Well, I had placed my SBM order on Friday, at 5 minutes before they closed. I got my order yesterday (monday) and I've had the strings on for 1 day. The RC recitals settle in fast. I was able to play 20 minutes before I had to tweak the B string on the fly in the middle of play.

I was worried that the tension would be heavier based on the diameters of the strings. Now, I had my guitar set up with medium tension Ramirez with carbon G, which have a total tension for the set at 87 pounds. The recitals I estimate to be about 87 lbs as the action remained the same at 8/64 on the low E and 7/64 on the High E. The RC trebles are somewhat more pliable and thus easier to play than the Ramirez. I'll comment on the tone after they have been on for a few more days.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:27 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm
Does anybody have tension data in Kg or lbs for this set? I am geeking out, I know😩
I don't, but I'm curious as well. D'addario ej45's are as hard a tension as I like to go. I rarely use them, but everything else that I use is about the same, tension-wise, or less. If the Royal classics are harder tension than this, I'll also reluctantly pass.
I had my Ramirez NE strung up with Ramirez med tension strings with carbon G. This set comes in at 87.2 lbs, and the action was 8/64 at the low E string and 7/64 on the High E. There was no change in that measurement at the twelfth with the RC Recital strings. So they must be around 87 lbs. The D'Addario EJ45 comes in at 86.1 lbs.

The trrebles on the Recitals are more pliable than the Ramirez strings, but seem, to be a little more firm than the D'Addario. I will comment on the tone after they've been on several days.

Scott

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 am

I don’t understand why the action would change between strings with minor changes in tension. I really can’t imagine the neck moving up and down any appreciable amount due to a 1-2kg change in tension.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 am
I don’t understand why the action would change between strings with minor changes in tension. I really can’t imagine the neck moving up and down any appreciable amount due to a 1-2kg change in tension.
Heavier strings can make the action come up a bit, and I was wondering if it would happen with the Recital strings, as there is no agreement among manufacturers regarding what medium and hard tension actually means. But there is no difference in the action with these strings.

I have put on heavier sets that actually changed the action a bit. The higher tension strings sometimes cause the neck to pull forward a bit. That is why my luthier tells people to stick with the same set of strings when he sets up a guitar. He dials in the action on each guitar to work a specific set of strings. With an electric, or steel string acoustic, you can just compensate for this effect by adjusting the truss rod, saddle height. But, as we all know, REAL guitars often don’t have truss rods.😁

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 am

I still don’t get it. I have never (over way too many guitars that I would ever admit owning) experienced action going up and down by any observable or measurable amount due to different tension strings. Your mileage obviously varies, I just can’t figure out why!

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm

My left hand fingers will definitely notice any changes in tension, diameter, etc.. but I've never noticed any observable amount of movement in action as a result of different tension strings. Changes in action as a result of temperature or humidity changes = YES.

Dave

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 pm

I dunno, if you go from EJ45 trebles to Augustine Imperials...they're gonna sit up a little higher in the approximate 4th to 9th fret areas...is it due to the width and them sitting higher up in the slot, top moving or relief at the neck...rhetorically speaking that is. If you spy down the neck, I think you're probably going to see a little more relief on the treble side than before. I suppose that's guitar dependent though. YMMV of course.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Alright, they've been on for 5 days on my Ramirez 4NE cedar. I was playing Andrew Yorks home on it. The trebles have a certain degree of warmth to them but have great clarity. I was able to get a certain sweetness out of them, especially with vibrato, without losing clarity. Comparing them to the Ramirez medium trebles with carbon G, I would say they have more clarity.

The basses have a strong fundamental, especially the low E. Dark sounding, but less punchy than the Cantigas. Buttery smooth when doing drop D.

My current go to sets have been Savarez med tension Cantiga basses and Dogal Diamante trebles,
and Ramirez med tension with carbon G. I wont say that the RC recitals are better or worse than either of those sets, but they are different and very pleasant sounding to me. They are different sounding, and I like the feel of the trebles more than the other two. They feel softer...more pliable. And, they are inexpensive at 11 bucks a set.

I will see how long they last. So far I'm glad I tried them😊

Oh, and I should add that the Recitals are a nylon set. The G string isn't tubby, but I might try a carbon G anyway, just to see how it sounds.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 am

Well, I first posted that I had the RC Recital strings on my guitar on Feb 6. That’s 40 days. I play an hour a day, so I got my 40nrs. The only string that shows any wear is the D string. Just starting to show copper at the 2nd fret. The trebles stood up well.

The guitar now is staying in perfect tune in a stand overnight and the high E is starting to feel a little stiff, so it’s time to change the strings. I didn’t wind up trying a carbon G as the G that came with the set sounded really good. Vibrato is getting harder. Just my experience. YMMV.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 pm
Does anybody have tension data in Kg or lbs for this set? I am geeking out, I know😩
I asked Matt at SBM and got this reply but these numbers are in question by members here as being mistaken or not. I don't have enough experience to know if these are true or false but here they are.
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.57.05 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 am

No offence meant to SBM, but if they quote tensions to five significant figures they are living in fantasy land!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”