Darker Strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
JohnH*

Darker Strings

Post by JohnH* » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for a set of strings that are even darker-sounding than Hannabach 815MTs? Thanks!
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1989 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

celestemcc

Re: Darker Strings

Post by celestemcc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Possibly Hannabach 200/900 MH. I'm using them, find them as dark as the 815MTs, maybe a little richer. Unfortunately more expensive. :(
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 am

You might try Savarez Corum for the basses. There is also Hannabach Exclusive basses. As far as a whole set, you might want to try the Ramirez med tension with Carbon G.

I've used the Savarez Cantiga and Corum, as well as the Hannabach Exclusive basses (all med tension ) with Dogal Diamante trebles in either regular or strong tension.

Right now my Ramirez is strung with the Hannabach Exclusive MT basses with the Strong tension Dogal Diamante trebles. Tension wise, these together are just a half pound lighter than the Ramirez strings which I had the guitar set up with, so I didn't ruin my perfect set up.

Savarez Cantiga were kind of tight in the basses, notes only sound so deep. The Corum were considerably darker, but not as punchy as the Cantiga. They were a little softer sounding.

The Hannabach Exclusive MT basses sound really black. Puncher than the Corum and have a buttery, refined tone, and they are smooth under the fingers. Not as punchy as the Cantiga.

The Diamante trebles are carbon/nylon hybrids.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kirkland Gavin
Student of the online lessons

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 am

Is it a common practice for classical guitarist's, to use certain strings from different manufacture's or strings from the same. I have thought about string gauges. What type have better sound for treble, and bass strings. I know I like the bass I'm getting but would like a better sound with the treble strings.
Kirk

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

Kirkland Gavin wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 am
Is it a common practice for classical guitarist's, to use certain strings from different manufacture's or strings from the same. I have thought about string gauges. What type have better sound for treble, and bass strings. I know I like the bass I'm getting but would like a better sound with the treble strings.
Kirk
The Dogal Diamante sound full, clear, and because they are carbon/nylon hybrid, no tubby G.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

Yeah Kirk, it's common practise to use different treble and bass sets from different makers. Rarely is there a full set where the trebles and the basses are both awesome. The exception seems to be the Ramirez MT with carbon G. Their HT strings sound good too.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:46 am

New bass strings are always brighter. So perhaps all you need to do is keep the same set of strings longer on the guitar. As long as you are not wearing through the windings, you can keep playing the same set. This might sound more "dull" than "dark" but since definitions for such sound characteristics seem to vary from person to person, perhaps this will give you what you want. For me a "darker" sound is more determined by the contribution the guitar makes to the sound than effect of strings. That is, you may not succeed to get the dark sound you are after on that instrument.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:27 pm

JohnH* wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm
Does anyone have a suggestion for a set of strings that are even darker-sounding than Hannabach 815MTs? Thanks!
As to trebles, I play with carbs myself, so I have no idea which nylons could be darker but you might want to look into a lower tension treble set (or at least the 1st string). Maybe some D'Addarios, EJ45?

As to basses, nearly any would sound darker IMO, except the Cantiga and HT Classic from Savarez, Pyramid Silver Sterling and the wolfram basses by Dr. Junger (Mysterion).
Of similar tension, unexpensive and pretty darker, I would recommend you to try the red Augustine basses.

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks to all and Happy Holidays!
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1989 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:50 pm

thank you for the insight on strings cool. I bought both EJ45 and EJ46 to check both out of course diff gauges. I'm playing a La Patrie collection and it sounds ok I will have to upgrade but for now it works. I also need to find someone who is good at adjusting the neck as at higher frets are touching the frets some.
Thank you I will try some of the string sets mentioned. this is an awesome music sight there are a lot of musicians here for the love of music.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Kirkland Gavin wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:50 pm
thank you for the insight on strings cool. I bought both EJ45 and EJ46 to check both out of course diff gauges. I'm playing a La Patrie collection and it sounds ok I will have to upgrade but for now it works. I also need to find someone who is good at adjusting the neck as at higher frets are touching the frets some.
Thank you I will try some of the string sets mentioned. this is an awesome music sight there are a lot of musicians here for the love of music.
Are the strings actually touching the frets? At what fret does it start, and how much saddle do you have above the Bridge? If you can, post some pictures of it.

Kirkland Gavin

Post by Kirkland Gavin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 am

thank you I will take some pics and check out the bridge a little closer thank you I will post as soon as I can. I've had a rough couple of weeks. thank you for replying

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”