string tension...

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
dng

string tension...

Post by dng » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:19 pm

hi all..

is it correct to assume that the string tension changes over a period of time? - or it's just my imagination or my fingers are getting weaker? I am talking about the trebles...

I use normal tension on all my guitars and it seems to me after a month or two the tension changed by itself - it became stiffer than normal, let's say half way to high tension... - as a test I put on a new set of trebles and the feel on my fingers is way better more bearable...

Happy Holidays and thanks in advance

dan
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

Laudiesdad69

Re: string tension...

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:08 am

dng wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:19 pm
hi all..

is it correct to assume that the string tension changes over a period of time? - .

I use normal tension on all my guitars and it seems to me after a month or two the tension changed by itself - it became stiffer than normal,
Well Dan,
Strings tension does change as the strings elongate due to being tuned up to pitch after you have put them on. Then they flatten over time, and you have to tune them up to pitch again. Every time you do this it happens again. That is why you shouldn't try to pre- stretch, or over tune your strings. The string elongates unevenly across its length, and results in intonation problems if this happens.

Soon the strings stretch to the point where they will stay in tune in a stand over night, and that is about the the point where there is no stretch left in them, and the strings feel less pliable. It's been my observation that this is time for me to change my Strings, If I put it off too much, that is when I have a string break on a treble.

If you can get a month or two out of your strings, depending how many hours you put on them, that may not be abnormal. If they feel stiff after a couple of months, it's probably time to change them.

I am just now starting to pay attention to how long a set of strings lasts, as I've been trying different string sets over the last year.on one certain guitar. I've tried about 25 sets since last Christmas, and have thus been changing my Strings every couple of weeks. In that time I've found three sets that I like and one of them is really expensive, so we shall now see if they are going to make it worth the extra cost.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:55 pm

That makes perfect sense to me and is really good information. Does this mean I should reduce the tension after playing?
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:44 pm

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:55 pm
That makes perfect sense to me and is really good information. Does this mean I should reduce the tension after playing?
I don’t detune after playing. Whether one should or not, that would be a question for one of the luthiers :D I don’t because tuning up and then tuning down changes the tension on the strings, and the reaction of the top, and neck may not be apparent right away. Sometimes it has sort of a delayed reaction, for the neck and top to find the state that they were in, especially if the tension was off for awhile. My luthier pointed this out when he last worked on my guitar. So my luthier says not to, but there may be other opinions.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 am

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:55 pm
That’s what Masaki Sakurai suggests for the sake of the strings and not the guitar! :wink:

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:38 am

I now have changed from HT to MT strings on both guitars. It does seem to help my old - weak hands.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”