strings for new made guitar?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

strings for new made guitar?

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:30 pm

So what should I string my guitar no 6 with ?

I have 3 sets of ej46 - two sets of Savarez 520 B - a set of La Bella 2001 medium hard. It is an Hernandez y Aguado model body - but its a sort of experiment as it has Torres style fans, no bridge patch and both upper bars are arched ?

Mostly my fall back strings are the ej 45/46 - they always seem to sound even and nice enough to not want to remove them ! It maybe makes sence to always string a new guitar with the same strings - as one has a reference to go by ?
Trouble is - if it sounds good I leave them on !

I have considered getting in a Savarez Cantiga/crystal set ? - or try some Hanabach 815 equiv tension to ej46 ( green ? )

simonm

Re: strings for new made guitar?

Post by simonm » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I would use the EJ46 just because they are cheap and consistent. Once you have played it for a couple of weeks then by all means experiment. I was told of one retired German maker who put carbons on at the beginning on the basis that he believed the carbon trebles speeded up the opening up process. Check for a PM.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Just out of interest, I contacted two luthiers whose guitars I have to ask what they recommend for their instruments:

Stephen Frith:
EJ46 or (as an alternative) EJ45

Ana Maria Espinosa Rodriguez:
When new: EJ46 but with Savarez Alliance B and G strings (B-542J/ G- 543J)
"As the guitar it´s played [i.e. as it opens up] you can also try the normal tension D´Addario EJ45"
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Interesting statement from Simon, or this German luthier, I've always found that carbon strings are disappointing on "new" guitars.
I had very good experiences with Savarez Cantiga new crystal normal tension... I'd go for that!
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks - ej46 are certainly good good reliable strings. Maybe try the Cantiga's - or maybe keep my hand firmly in pocket to allow it to recover a little ! I have never found the G or B a problem with ej's - they have always seemed very balanced for sound.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”