Rectified trebles

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
GMR

Rectified trebles

Post by GMR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

What are the tonal implications of these verses the normal trebles
Garland

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: Rectified trebles

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 am

The surface is rougher, which provides a scratchy sound if you do not have good flesh nail contact and technique. People say they are noisy, but that is not entirely true.

Digging into the string is easier, and playing with flesh really does work good. If you have a perfectly filed ramp on the nail, which has the right amount of flesh, the rectified, have a tactile feel that is more solid and less slippery, this is a preference that works good for many.

Then there is the crowd who does not care for them. D Addario Pro Arte rectified trebles still have the same tonal characteristics as the standard line, but the difference is a personal preference.

The Savarez 520 R series of strings is different in that they are wound, where the D Addario is simply machine ground to a rougher texture.

I personally like the Savarez, but some say they are noisy and awful. What I don't like is Savarez pricing.

As for tone, I think you can coax the same tones from standard or rectified, but there is a different feel and connection to rectified strings.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

When I started using the Savarez 520R set, they were improperly packaged. I wound up with clear trebles, which I found out later, weren't supposed to come in that set. I had bought about four sets of them and the next time I needed them, I went back down to the music store and bought them, only to find the white rectified trebles...the ones that were supposed to be in there in the first place.

Nobody at the store had noticed this, and no other customers complained, except for me, about the white trebles. Turns out that the trebles that came in that pack were the Cristal trebles. The music store gave me 4 new sets, and they were all packaged right. The weird thing for me was that I didn't even know what rectified strings were until I got a package of 520R that had the white strings in them, like they were supposed to. They were a little noisy, until I got used to them. They really helped me clean up my playing, after about a week.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

I find the rectum-fied trebles to have a very bad odor.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 am

soltirefa wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm
I find the rectum-fied trebles to have a very bad odor.
And they sound đŸ’©ty!

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 pm

When playing with flesh, or very little nail, I enjoyed certain sets of rectified (I still don’t have long nails). They can vary a lot from one brand to another, just like any trebles.

I liked the Savarez - the 520B set. I think that was my first set of low tension, too. The finger noise died down after a couple of days.

Really nice were those that came as an alternative with La Bella Argento pure silver set - normal tension; the high tension rectified trebles were too high for me (and the basses too low).

I tried GHS ‘ground’ nylon - they were really noisy.

The best I’ve tried were the Pepe Romero. Not much finger noise and a delightful tone and feel. The only hitch: the normal tension trebles felt a bit soft for my liking; I haven’t tried the high tension set because I don’t like the Pepe Romero high tension basses. I wish SBM had a mix n match option with those.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm

The only way to really know is try. It can be a bit difficult to accurately describe the tone of rectified nylons. In my experience, they have a bit of bite and brightness, and yet are sweet, warm and colorful at the same time. There is a certain charm to their tone. Disadvantages could be that they have a bit of string noise (but it gets better over time), are a bit stiff feeling, and have slightly less sustain than regular nylon. 90% of the time I use regular nylon, but when I am in the mood for something different I like to revisit rectified nylon.

If you want to experiment, I'd say the best place to start is either Pepe Romero or La Bella rectifieds. I've tried other brands such as pyramid, savarez, D'addario, but I think the best ones are the Pepe's/La Bella's in terms of tone and feel.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm

I commented recently on them in a different thread.

I understand they were invented when manufacturers couldn't control the diameter of extruded strings very well. Savarez claims they were the first trebles that came in different tensions: white=low, red=high and yellow=extra high. Savarez 520R (card rouge) are a classic. to me, they are in guitar strings what Kodachrome used to be in film slide (pre digital). It is a year ago I had my last set of them.

You can have also have the Savarez rectified trebles as a set with Corum basses. They are called Corum PR and come in normal tension only.

I haven't tried any other retified strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”