Titanium trebles

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Titanium trebles

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm

I tried titanium trebles a good number of years back and didn't like them. However, strings change, and so do players' perceptions. I'm wondering what are some opinions on titanium trebles in general, and Galli Genius titanium trebles in particular.

Below is the blurb from SBM website. I don't think this was written by SBM staff - it reads like it came from Galli. Reading it, either these are the greatest strings in the history of Western Civilization or the writer has a graduate degree in Hype.

Ramon

Galli Genius Titanium Classical Guitar Strings

"These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer. The precisely calibrated treble strings are Galli's latest contribution to musical excellence.

The professional guitarists now choosing to perform and record on Galli Titanio Classical Guitar Strings report that they are brilliant, complex, powerful and quick. In addition to an extended dynamic range, they also report that Titanio trebles possess an enhanced sweetness and purity of sound, excellent sustain, great evenness and smoothness from note to note, an unusually wide color palette, and an easy natural response to vibrato - even in the lower playing positions."
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Kent

Re: Titanium trebles

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Better be low tension!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:10 am

Interesting question Ramon. It is hard to know if all titanium strings are similar or indeed if other strings not labelled as such use the same material in their construction.

I have not tried the Galli titanium so can’t help you there.

I have tried Hannabach Titanyl and didn’t like them
very much. Just didn’t grab me.

I don’t know if the Aranjuez Suave 800 trebles are titanium or not. They are labelled ‘calibrada nylon’, whatever that is meant to be. They do have that soft purple tint typical of titanium strings. I think they are excellent strings and are also low tension with a lovely feel. Worth trying them if you have not already.

Regards
Peter

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:39 am

Can't tell you about Galli's, but I was just looking last nite for more info on TT's and just today ordered D'Addario EJ45TT's from SBM. One of the influencing factors was the SBM write up on them (below), and especially the mention of spruce tops. The other influencing factor is that D'Addario's consistently seem to be a good string overall and I've always had good luck with them.

"We find these strings to be quite bright overall. The titanium trebles have a bright, edgy sound that seems to work well on spruce top instruments especially and the new Dynacore basses are very powerful with very present overtones. The bass strings have a very supple, elastic quality to them rather than the typical stiff feel that many bass strings have. Just a note: these basses are not the same as the ones found in the Composite or EXP sets, those are very different in sound. The Dynacore basses are slightly warmer than the Composites, and possess a much nicer, more neutral timbre compared to the very bright, mid-range focused Composites. -Strings By Mail"
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 am

FWIW, I found the D'addario titanium trebles to sound beautiful with a diminished midrange, sweet treble frequencies and harmonics that sounded like bells. However I found the tuning to be unstable; they would warm up as I played and go sharp a few cents, just enough to offend me into not using them again. YMMV.

KP

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:55 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm
These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer.
[quoting SBM or Galli]

I think I might start making a small collection of the nonsense written about guitar strings by advertisers. Perhaps someone would like to explain to me how titanium could be polymerised with nylon?
Even better, I found on another website (a reputable German seller of musical supplies):
The standard material used for plain classical guitar strings (E, B and usually G) is solid, round-section nylon.This is usually transparent, but some manufacturers offer ‘carbon’ plain strings - these are made from nylon with a small percentage of carbon, which results in a solid black colour and a more percussive, overtone-rich sound.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Eric

I suspect the black colour is just a dye.

Peter

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm
The only black strings I've come across are nylon 'folk guitar' strings.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 am
FWIW, I found the D'addario titanium trebles to sound beautiful with a diminished midrange, sweet treble frequencies and harmonics that sounded like bells. However I found the tuning to be unstable; they would warm up as I played and go sharp a few cents, just enough to offend me into not using them again. YMMV.

KP
This is a property of nylon. All nylon trebles I have ever tried do this, pretty much in equal measure from brand to brand (G string is always worst, being the thickest string). I have not tried enough "titanium" trebles to know if they are worse in this respect. But "carbon" trebles are less susceptible to temperature changes.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Astro64, my point is that the titaniums that i tried were noticeable worse than the other nylon trebles I tried, at least from a tuning stability perspective. My regular ej45's don't sharpen at all best as I can tell.

KP

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:18 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:03 pm
The only black strings I've come across are nylon 'folk guitar' strings.
La Bella 820B flamenco strings are black.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm
Astro64, my point is that the titaniums that i tried were noticeable worse than the other nylon trebles I tried, at least from a tuning stability perspective. My regular ej45's don't sharpen at all best as I can tell.

KP
I do second this! Probably a side effect of the material mix resp. additive/s!? Their diameters are identical to their Nylon counterparts, so almost all of the strings material will be plain Nylon.

It's more than 10 years ago having tried Galli Titanium strings but if my memory serves me well, they felt a bit on the tight side, sounded bright and "punchy" without sharpness. Tone wise a good compromise between Carbon and Nylon and thereby closer to Nylon with good intonation and stability.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Hard to tell much, but here is a small sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_XMhaCacI

Ramon

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

KP
Kurt, are you referring to intonation going bad too quickly, or just needing to retune it (while intonation remains ok).
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 pm

ameriken, I was referring to the latter, that is, the open string would sharpen as it would warm up with playing; then I would need to retune. The intonation was unaffected as I recall. I bought about 6 sets of EJ45TT (I think) and after about 3-4 sets I realized this tendency would drive me nuts. Pity, I liked the sound.

KP

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”