Titanium trebles

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
guitarrista

Re: Titanium trebles

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Francisco wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pm
Thank you. It looks like it is a pretty complicated topic, but it does confirm my impression than lengthwise thermal expansion of a string would logically reduce its tension (everything else remaining equal).
No, that's not it exactly. While the explanation confirms that thermal expansion and shrinking still apply, the crucial piece of information is that a nylon string under tension expands thermally in the radial direction (it thickens) - rather than in the along-the -length direction. String thickening pulls the ends, resulting in the counter-intuitive consequence of a string increasing its tension and thus going sharp when warmed up.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Well, I tried the Galli Titanio trebles based on the description below, of which I had originally said that "either these are the greatest strings in the history of Western Civilization or the writer has a graduate degree in Hype."

"These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer. The precisely calibrated treble strings are Galli's latest contribution to musical excellence.

The professional guitarists now choosing to perform and record on Galli Titanio Classical Guitar Strings report that they are brilliant, complex, powerful and quick. In addition to an extended dynamic range, they also report that Titanio trebles possess an enhanced sweetness and purity of sound, excellent sustain, great evenness and smoothness from note to note, an unusually wide color palette, and an easy natural response to vibrato - even in the lower playing positions."

It turns out that everything the writer said above is true. Except the part where he says - "These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer. The precisely calibrated treble strings are Galli's latest contribution to musical excellence.

The professional guitarists now choosing to perform and record on Galli Titanio Classical Guitar Strings report that they are brilliant, complex, powerful and quick. In addition to an extended dynamic range, they also report that Titanio trebles possess an enhanced sweetness and purity of sound, excellent sustain, great evenness and smoothness from note to note, an unusually wide color palette, and an easy natural response to vibrato - even in the lower playing positions."

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am

After playing on these for five minutes I was overwhelmed with a desire to rip off a chorus of "Oh Susannah" - the part that says something about a banjo on my knee.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 pm
Well, I tried the Galli Titanio trebles based on the description below, of which I had originally said that "either these are the greatest strings in the history of Western Civilization or the writer has a graduate degree in Hype."

"These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer. The precisely calibrated treble strings are Galli's latest contribution to musical excellence.

It turns out that everything the writer said above is true. Except the part where he says - "These Genius Titanium Galli Classical Guitar Strings are composed of a revolutionary new titanium-nylon polymer. The precisely calibrated treble strings are Galli's latest contribution to musical excellence.

Ramon
Yep.

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:52 am

I've been using the D'Addario EJ45TT for years for my 1st and 2nd strings and like them (prefer a D'Addario composite for the 3rd string). They're oh so slightly brighter than the regular D'Addario Pro Arte nylon trebles but still sweet on tone. These titaniums are slightly less elastic and thus hold pitch sooner than standard nylon trebles but are a little easier to break on the saddle or nut if you use altered tunings. I've not noticed any problems with going sharp but temps in Hawaii are pretty constant and my guitar's temperature ain't gonna change much over ambient after playing for an hour.
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

Guero

Post by Guero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I once tried Royal Classic Titanium trebles and I really liked them!
Unfortunately at Schneidermusik they're out of stock.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am
After playing on these for five minutes I was overwhelmed with a desire to rip off a chorus of "Oh Susannah" - the part that says something about a banjo on my knee.

Ramon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your other post reminds me of the standard "Get Smart" "Cone of Silence Joke"

After emerging from the cone the conversation usually went like this:

The Chief: Did you get that
Max: Not quite, I missed one little bit
The Chief: What bit did you miss
Max: The bit between "Listen carefully and did you get that."

As for the strings. No opinion - never tried them.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 am
Ramon
I suppose there may be some matching issues with certain types of guitars. Perhaps they don’t sound good on flamenco guitars. Several years ago there was an interview in Accoustic Guitar magazine with various hot shot players, including Vidovic and Vieaux, if I remember correctly, and they both said they were using these strings as trebles, which I doubt they would do if they thought they sounded like a banjo.
I used to have a Yamaha flamenco guitar (CG182SF) and I didn’t like the Galli titaniums on it at all (though the guitar was fine with other strings). I ended up selling that guitar as part of the funding drive to purchasing the GC42S
I have the galli titaniums as 1st and 2nd strings right now, and I positively love the way they sound on this guitar.
2014 Yamaha GC42S, Akio Naniki

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”