String life in package?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
MrWopsle

String life in package?

Post by MrWopsle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I am tempted to make a bulk purchase of strings. Do strings have a limited shelf life? Will they die in the package? Or can they sit for months or a year without impairment?

Best,
DD

souldier

Re: String life in package?

Post by souldier » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 pm

I recently made a bulk purchase that will probably last me almost 2 years. Most strings are sealed very well so I wouldn't worry. Just try to avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures/humidity.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 am

I would choos some sets that are sealed in a bag like D’Addario, or Savarez. I just opened an old set of Ramirez strings in the old card board box. The strings were in a waxed paper bag., each individually. The wound strings were corroded, especially the low E string. Whereas I’ve never had that problem with old strings that were sealed. I use mainly Ramirez strings now, but I only have a couple of packs on hand. They aren’t sealed, just like their previous strings So I don’t want to store them too long. What strings are you using?

MrWopsle

Post by MrWopsle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I use Hannabach Silver Special 815LT and Savarez Alliance normal tension. Both are in a plastic pouch, but the individual string are only in paper envelopes that are exposed to air if the plastic isn't sealed. The Hannabach package isn't air tight and the Savarez has a seal but is flimsy.
Thanks for the help.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am

In my experience strings last for many, many years. If they're not sealed, I pack 'em into a zip bag and do not expose them to light or to quick tempeature chamges, like e.g. near the radiator. Never noticed any problem/difference, even if the outside PVC of the non-sealed package was stained lightly yellow (they came from a shop like that).

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 pm

I found a set of "Augustin" bass strings that I bought in 1973. I took it and mounted on one of my guitar two months ago and it still sounds wonderful.
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:38 pm

HNLim wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 pm
I found a set of "Augustin" bass strings that I bought in 1973. I took it and mounted on one of my guitar two months ago and it still sounds wonderful.
I have a set of Aranjuez gold that have been in my (various) drawer since I bought them in 1979 (I think, it could have been the first half of 1980). One day, when I have forgotten why I didn't like them then, I might try them.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 pm
I recently made a bulk purchase that will probably last me almost 2 years. Most strings are sealed very well so I wouldn't worry. Just try to avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures/humidity.
What strings are you using? I made a bulk purchase of some Ernie Ball Clear and Silver strings. They are sealed in a foil pouch like all of the Ernie Ball line. I use them mainly on guitars that I buy to flip. I expect nothing will bother them, even if stored for years.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Gorn wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am
In my experience strings last for many, many years. If they're not sealed, I pack 'em into a zip bag and do not expose them to light or to quick tempeature chamges, like e.g. near the radiator. Never noticed any problem/difference, even if the outside PVC of the non-sealed package was stained lightly yellow (they came from a shop like that).
Storing them in a Ziploc bag is a good idea. I am going to try this with the Ramirez strings.next time SBM has them on sale, I will buy a bunch, and bag 'em.

magie

Post by magie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Storing them in a Ziploc bag is a good idea. I am going to try this with the Ramirez strings.next time SBM has them on sale, I will buy a bunch, and bag 'em.
Stupid question:

I guess, vacuum sealing would improve the outcome? (Or did you mean 'vacuum sealed' rather than just storing the strings in a zipper bag?)
Best wishes from magie!

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:27 pm

magie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Stupid question:

I guess, vacuum sealing would improve the outcome? (Or did you mean 'vacuum sealed' rather than just storing the strings in a zipper bag?)
I meant a zipper lock bag, although I think using my seal-a-meal machine would be even better. The Ramirez strings are the only ones that I regularly use that aren’t sealed from the factory.

Sguitarist

Post by Sguitarist » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 pm

The strings are usually damaged or deteriorated by exposing to atmosphere oxidiation and humility (The place I stay is very high in humidity).

I kept my strings in zipper bag, before zipping, force out as much air as you can. Then, I left them in my humidity controlled guitar cabinet.

Usually I used all my strings within 1 year.
I try not to purchase more than 1 year supply of strings.
I change my strings about every month and I use my guitar at least 5 to 8 hours a day for practising and teaching.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 am

How did my strings ever survive in the old days before all this zip lock and foil and sealed packaging? :D
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:22 am

Sguitarist wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 pm
"The strings are usually damaged or deteriorated by exposing to atmosphere oxidiation and humility "

the last bit must be why my strings wear out so fast. It's not the playing, it's the humbling caused by my playing.

Sguitarist

Post by Sguitarist » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am

Nowadays, good strings are not cheap.
I found that if I am a bit less lazy, wiping the strings with a cloth and occasionally with a string cleaner before keeping the guitar at the end of the day. The strings tend to last a little bit longer.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”