Felipe Conde Strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ameriken

Felipe Conde Strings?

Post by ameriken » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 am

So now that I'm back into playing classical along with my new Burguet, I've been doing the typical searching for strings and possible combinations. In addition to Savarez, D'Ad, Hannabach, etc, I saw Felipe Conde strings on SBM. They've got regular nylons but also have a new (2017) carbon set that has a nylon treble E which seems like an attractive set.

According to SBM
Like to mix different types of strings? Then these classical sets that Felipe Conde introduced in 2017 are for you.

Our testing found that the first string, which is nylon, is warm and very lyrical. The second and third strings, both carbon, are bright but not overpowering. And the silverplated copper wound basses, which have been reformulated with more silver content, offer punch and a full sound.

Our overall verdict? We really like these strings, which are available in medium, medium/hard, and hard tensions.
Anyone have any experience with Felipe Conde strings in general, and the carbon set specifically?

Anyone know the string tensions in lbs?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Scott Phillips

Re: Felipe Conde Strings?

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 am

The SBM site doesn’t have tension listed for these sets, and that is the main reason I have never tried them. Same story with the RC recital strings. Since there is no consensus between makers as to what constitutes medium tension, med hard, or hard I can’t won’t put them on my guitar.

As far as I’m concerned, if a company doesn’t want to provide tension data, they really don’t want to sell me strings. This isn’t as big of a deal to me if the intended guitar has a truss rod. But not on my Ramirez.

Strings by mail will be conducting their owns tests on all the classical strings they sell this year and will be testing them all on a 650 mm scale, so once there is data, I might try them.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Yes,I'm tempted to try them but lack of tension data is one of my hesitations as well.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am

Most likely a re-badged already produced string from one of the mainstream string producers.

Want to pay more to see Felipe name on your string pack...go right ahead.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:58 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am
Most likely a re-badged already produced string from one of the mainstream string producers.

I don’t see how we would be paying more for the name as the strings are only $13 a set, including the carbon set. Unless they are really just rebranded D’Addario. They are about the same as Savarez, price wise.

D’Addario was making EVH electric guitar strings. Same Packaging with Eddie Van Halen’s picture on the pack. The strings were 9-42 on one set and they had a light top/heavier bottom set too. Same packaging, same crappy plastic bag with six strings inside.

However, one fact remains. Until there is tension data in lbs/kg, they won’t get a dime from me.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 am

Augustine strings do not have tension data in numbers and Segovia was OK using them. Luthier strings do not have tension data in numbers and Paco was OK using them. Ramirez strings do not have tension data in numbers and quite a few folks here rave about them. Conde strings may be great strings, or they may be dogs, but one will never know until they try them.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am

How many "factories" actually make their own strings? I.e., How many produce the monofilament for trebles from raw materials? How many produce the multicore fibers and the winding wire for the bass strings?

My suspicion is that there are very few factories actually *making* strings and many more cutting lengths from a reel and putting them in bags. It is very hard to really know as the string brands don't publish what they make versus what they buy and from which suppliers.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I would suspect there probably are only a few string makers given the cost of tooling and such. I would imagine the start up costs would be in the multiple tens of thousands of dollars. That said, there are probably a lot of string formulations and most likely each company chooses the formulation to use for their house label. This is probably similar to studio guitars-- Ramirez tells Alhambra to make 1000 guitars with a Ramirez approved formula.

Given Royal Classic strings are made in Spain it is probable that company makes Ramirez strings makes Royal Classic (most likely the company but it could be another). As to Conde, their package says made in E.U. which throws in a wrinkle-- the could be Royal Classic, made in Spain which is in the E.U. or it could be Hannabach, which is in the E.U. I would imagine if Conde strings were made in Spain it would say so.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Keith wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm
I would suspect there probably are only a few string makers given the cost of tooling and such. I would imagine the start up costs would be in the multiple tens of thousands of dollars. That said, there are probably a lot of string formulations and most likely each company chooses the formulation to use for their house label. This is probably similar to studio guitars-- Ramirez tells Alhambra to make 1000 guitars with a Ramirez approved formula.

Given Royal Classic strings are made in Spain it is probable that company makes Ramirez strings makes Royal Classic (most likely the company but it could be another). As to Conde, their package says made in E.U. which throws in a wrinkle-- the could be Royal Classic, made in Spain which is in the E.U. or it could be Hannabach, which is in the E.U. I would imagine if Conde strings were made in Spain it would say so.
That begs the question of what does "made in xxx" actually mean in the context of a string. It could be that all that means is that they get drums of string shipped from China and then cut and package them in xxx.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:05 pm

It’s funny, but Ramirez strings (the old cardboard box strings) used to say “Made in EU”. Then around the time that Knobloch moved to Spain, the Ramirez packaging changed, and now reads “Made in Spain”. So it could be Knobloch that’s making them.

What we really need is for spies to infiltrate the string companies and report back what’s really going on. That’s the only way we will ever know who makes what ha ha! And maybe the String Police will keep them from charging us extra!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”