What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Just curious...on my daughter's Ramirez, it was set up with Savarez 520R, and the last string change 2 days ago, I tried different strings. I strung it up with Savarez Cantiga medium tension, and Dogal Diamante trebles in regular tension. Now, this set is quite a bit lower in tension, and it dropped the action at the twelfth considerably.

This combination was 7 lbs less in total tension. And they sound way more powerful. They are way louder, and the bass is a little more punchy. The Dogal trebles sustain longer and sing, however they are a little less nuanced when it comes to playing really sensitively soft. This may improve as the strings settle in as they've only been on for a couple of days..

My daughter really rips up the trebles with her nails. I'm hoping these will last longer, although as little as she plays these days, they probably will regardless. I had last changed her strings in August. Honestly, i should have given her my Lucero instead🤔 Ahh...The high cost of father-daughter bonding😨.

ameriken

Re: What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Post by ameriken » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

Since I've only had this Burguet for a few weeks, I'm still in the experimental stage with strings. Came with 500ARJ's which were very bright and balanced, and fairly easy to play. Downside is after playing on them for about a week or 10 days the intonation got bad. Also wanted to try something a little sweeter.

Replaced those with EJ45LP's I had laying around which were a decent set, nice sound & warm basses and of course, very little squeaking thanks to the polished basses. Thinking about trying them again some time only with the higher tension EJ46LP's.

Currently I'm on the EJ45TT"s. I wanted to try the titanium trebles which, according to SBM work well on spruce tops. And they do, they are really sweet and I like the soft smooth feel of the trebles. Downside to these TT's is I don't like the G which is annoyingly tubby. Also something seems to be lacking in these strings and I just can't place my finger on it (har har har). As with the LP's I might give the 46's a try sometime.

However, none of the above are 'the ones' yet. So after doing a lot of reading in the Delcamp string section, I've decided to give a go on a few sets and just today placed an order with SBM for

510CJ cantiga/crystal HT
Aquila Zaffiro NT and
Aquila Rubino NT.

I hope at least one of these mates well with this guitar and has that 'wow' factor.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 pm

ameriken wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I hope at least one of these mates well with this guitar and has that 'wow' factor.
I tried some really expensive bass strings on my cedar top Ramirez. They are the Hannabach Exclusive med tension. They had the "wow" factor for a little over 3 weeks. They were very fundamental and refined sounding, with more punch than the Corumbasses, and a little less so than the Cantigas. I am going to keep playing on them for awhile, just to see how long they physically last but, as they say, the thrill is gone.

For the last year I have been changing my strings every couple of weeks, but at $26.00 a set (that's for 3 strings) They are too expensive for me to use regularly. I will keep a set on hand in case of a performance, but I am going back to the Cantigas. I've tried at least 25 different sets over the last year, and the only keepers have been the Savarez Cantiga basses with Dogal Diamante trebles, the Ramirez med tension with carbon G, and the D'Addario EJ45 (I might try some other flavors of EJ based on your favorable comments, Ameriken).
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm

Hannabach 200/900 M/H. Luthier's suggestion. I'm in love (of course). But they last! However the G is a Savarez Alliance; that's my go-to G string whatever brand the rest of the set I'm using.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm
Hannabach 200/900 M/H. Luthier's suggestion. I'm in love (of course). But they last! However the G is a Savarez Alliance; that's my go-to G string whatever brand the rest of the set I'm using.
How long do the Hannabach last? How many hours do you get out of a ser?

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am

I recently strung up my Michael Ritchie with Aquila NT Nylgut basses, and Ambra 2000 trebles. After a couple of days, the basses really do have a deep, purring, lower fundamental emphasis. I like it, and I’m seeing how it develops. The Ambra 2000 trebles really do have a rich and sweet sound, and feel lovely under the fingers. Over the last eight months I’ve tried everything from genuine gut through all my favourite clear and rectified nylons, including, recently, the red-gold Hannabach 827 flamenco trebles. The Ambra 2000 are winning. I have hit on so many delightful combinations of strings, and there are so many left to try. I’m studying guitar full time now, so I burn through sets quicker, and I do sometimes wonder if I’ll ever land on a set that I’ll stick with.

At the moment I am awaiting delivery of Aquila’s new Alchemia set, NT. These have clear trebles made from a sugarcane derivative; the description of their characteristics in the site is very interesting. It is unclear whether the basses are regular Nylgut or something new again - they have identical tension charts, but in the description I got the sense that they might be something new.

I will report on my findings.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:54 pm
ameriken wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

For the last year I have been changing my strings every couple of weeks, but at $26.00 a set (that's for 3 strings) They are too expensive for me to use regularly.
Yeah, don't think I'll be trying those any time soon. :?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm
The Savarez 510MR set is a mix of Cantiga basses, Alliance g with Cristal b & e.

Work for me.

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 pm

I just recently put Augustine Class Red's on my Cordoba C10 Spruce. I took someone's advice on here about using them to warm up a bright guitar. It definitely did that. They are still settling but I do like them.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:18 pm

How long do the Hannabach last? How many hours do you get out of a ser?
Hard to say because I put a set on shortly before a family issue took me away from regular practice for over 5 weeks. That said, as I finally return to practice, they're still quite fresh and sound wonderful. I expect when I'm back up to full practice they'll last at least 5 weeks. They settle a bit slowly but once settled, they stay in tune very well.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 pm

The Savarez 510MR set is a mix of Cantiga basses, Alliance g with Cristal b & e.
As soon as this set became available I started using them on my Ramirez 1a. Till then I was using the Savarez set than has Cantiga basses and Cristal trebles, substituting the Alliance G on my own. Wonderful combination for that guitar.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Let's see

3 sets of Savarez Cantiga Normal Tension - BASS only
3 Sets of Dogal Diamonte Normal -- Trebles only

Why? --- This is my current favorite string combination at the moment.

Note; I do like the RC Recital trebles. But As best I can tell; SBM doesn't sell just the RC Recital Trebles.

Also ordered 2 sets of Oasis GPX Carbon Normal Tension -Trebles only

Why? Because I've never tried them & I want to see how they sound with the Savarez Cantiga Basses
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Dave Stott wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm
Let's see

3 sets of Savarez Cantiga Normal Tension - BASS only
3 Sets of Dogal Diamonte Normal -- Trebles only

Why? --- This is my current favorite string combination at the moment.

Note; I do like the RC Recital trebles. But As best I can tell; SBM doesn't sell just the RC Recital Trebles.

Also ordered 2 sets of Oasis GPX Carbon Normal Tension -Trebles only

Why? Because I've never tried them & I want to see how they sound with the Savarez Cantiga Basses
The Savarez/Dogal combination is one of my favorites, recommended to me by our string guru Petermc61. Please let us know how you like the Oasis trebles.

richtm

Post by richtm » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Why is there no comment on my favorite string sets?: :wink:

1) d'addario EXP46 (classical guitar - hard tension)
2) d'addario EXP 45 (classical guitar - normal tension)

Properties: warm sound, long lasting (sometimes I play them for a year)

I recently had to change strings from my new Thomas Redlin guitar to EXP 45, to get the sound I wanted. I had a lot of discussion e.g. with luthiers like Michael Batell (Berlin) and Andreas Kirmse (Leipzig) and Michael Wiechmann (Hamburg) who see the importance of the strings regarding sound.

I also love the Hannabach 8001HT. Savarez often sounds to creamy in my ears. I used them a lot some time ago and in my experience they are also long lasting.

:bye:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 pm
I'll play!

Well, I've been trying out a guitar(Spruce/EIR) for an extended period of time which I'll post up about at some point soon
and I've been trying tons of strings just because...EJ45s, EJ45LPs, Cantiga Basses, LaBella 2001 Medium Hards, New Cristal Trebles, Augustine Classic & Imperial Trebles, mixing & matching which brings me to this today: Ramirez MT Coated without the Carbon 3rd.

They've only been on a very short period of time but the bass strings seem very comfortable to play, sound nice, I guess they're coated, a bit less squeak. The guitar is set up with relatively low action and I think for me with the Ramirez trebles it was maybe playing a little too loose so off went the Trebles and I put on some Augustine Imperials. Those are kind of manly man compared to others, but easy to play. When you pick 'em - it's a solid note that comes out, no waffling around. It might seem unbalanced a bit with the Medium Ramirez Basses, could also be totally pyschological & I could adjust the way I play I dunno. I have a feeling they'll be coming off and Augustine Classics will be going on, skinnier but have good tension.

The default so far for me since I've had this guitar has been EJ45 Basses/Augustine Classic Trebles but I like these Ramirez. Oh yeah, I've got an unopened set of Pyramid Sterling Silver Basses, so I guess soon enough I'll need to see what that's about. :) Blah blah blah blah blah...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”