What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Eberhard Mueller

Re: What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 am

I have been using RC's JG Dynamic White (DW90) Normal Tension on a smaller body maple / european spruce instrument. They are wonderfully nuanced and also "dynamic," rich sounding as their name would suggest. With daily playing, they are good for about a month, (as most string sets are, for my ears.) When I tried the same on my larger body, brazilian rw / engelmann spruce, they seemed bright and thin sounding, horrible. With some deductive reasoning and intuition (guess work) about what this guitar required, I tried another RC set, Sonata Light (SL20) Medium Tension. I could not have asked for a better match. The lesson is that it is not always a good idea to generalize about strings. Perhaps, that is why there are so many varieties available to suit all instruments and tastes.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

Adilson Francisco da Silva

Post by Adilson Francisco da Silva » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:05 am

D'addario EJ43 light tension, because I'm beginner and light tension is more easy to play the exercises. I hope to buy a classical guitar by luthier this year and I think that I will use the same D'addario EJ43 light tension.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:30 am

Dunlop NT.
Why? because I gotta start somewhere! (and they were the right diameter. The Yamaha rep said "28-43 normal tension" when I asked about what strings to get for my new GC22)

I also bought a pack of Savarez 510MR, a pack of D'Addario EJ45 Pro Arte, a pack of Augustine Classic Red med tension, and a pack of Royal Classics RL50 Recital MT so that in the future I can experiment to see if something's better.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Please be sure to let us know how you like the RC Recital strings😁. That is a set that is on my list to try for sure.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Please be sure to let us know how you like the RC Recital strings😁. That is a set that is on my list to try for sure.
I will do that, however I'm a noob and I'm not likely to give a realistic review.

As for the Dunlop strings I just put on, they are fine; no issues. No dead notes and no tubby notes. I can hardly tell the difference between them and what came on the guitar when I received it.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Just put on the Savarez white card today and early on I like them a lot. The tone is a vast improvement on my usual ej43's, but to tell the truth the Savarez don't really feel any more "light tension" than ej45's.
Bei einer andächtigen Musik ist allezeit Gott mit seiner Gnaden Gegenwart.
-- J. S. Bach

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm

The last ones I put on: Hannabach 815 LT. Quite a bit higher tension than my staple Savarez New Cristal Red strings.

The trebles are more balanced in tension than anything I tried before. At 7kg (according to the pack) the 1E string is low in tension while the 6.5 kg 3G-string is higher than most 3G-strings I am aware off (incl Savarez Alliance high tension at 6.1kg). D’Addario FF are equal or higher.

It makes playing e.g. arpeggios easier. The 1E doesn’t stick out so much and the 3G gets a volume boost. Some times I now find it difficult to hold off the 3G when the leading voice is on 1E or 2B. Will need some training.

I am actually even more taken by the basses. Rich and dark I would describe them. Beating the Savarez 540 red which are one of my so far favourite.

If these last well on me (about 2 month) I might switch from Savarez and see how I like the 815 SLT. That would get me into Savarez Red and EJ45 tension territory. I had the Hannabach in the closet for a year and wasn’t expecting that kind of a positive experience. So I stocked up on Savarez and still have 3 sets of Savarez to use. On a positive note this way I can revisit the Cantiga and make up my mind in comparison to the Hannabach.

The last set I ordered was Cantiga 510 CRJ to see whether the increased tension over a CR set helps or doesn’t. A plain CJ set is a bit much in my current view.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I use D'Addario Pro-Arte EJ45C (Normal Tension) and EJ46 (High Tension) strings. They have a good sound to my ear, and stay in tune well. I tend to use the "carbon" G-string (these sets have both). I have tried Savarez Alliance 500AR strings, but I find they don't settle in as quickly as the A'ddario strings, especially the wire-wound bases. I have just purchased, but not yet used, a set of D'Addario EJ45LP (Normal Tension) Lightly Polished strings to see how they go, and if squeak is less.
Cheers... Richard

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:12 pm

DCGillrich wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm
I have just purchased, but not yet used, a set of D'Addario EJ45LP (Normal Tension) Lightly Polished strings to see how they go, and if squeak is less.
Cheers... Richard
Recently used them, I do like those strings and while they are not 100% squeak free, they do squeak way less. Also came with the composite G. Good strings and I'm likely going to use them again.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:49 am

The latest strings I have bought and tried are the R.C. Recital strings. I just changed them last Monday on my Lozano guitar and still haven’t made up my mind on them. My first impression, they seem do pack a punch for a nylon string. I need to spend more time with them. Oh I forgot the why part of the question. Well, because I haven’t tried them.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 am

D.Cass wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:49 am
The latest strings I have bought and tried are the R.C. Recital strings. I just changed them last Monday on my Lozano guitar and still haven’t made up my mind on them. My first impression, they seem do pack a punch for a nylon string. I need to spend more time with them. Oh I forgot the why part of the question. Well, because I haven’t tried them.
How do they feel compared to other medium tension strings? Are they pliable or stiff? They are a relatively inexpensive set, at around $10 a set. I ordered some yesterday and won’t see them in the post until wed or thurs next week? Judging by the diameters, they are probably a little heavier than say EJ45. I ordered them because I haven’t tried the RC line yet at all, and they were 10 bucks, oh and Gohar uses them, so why not try em.

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 am

I just got done playing that guitar, so it’s fresh on my mind. To me, no stiffness and fairly easy to play. However, they seem heavier than EJ45. I was told they are on pair with Hannabach mediums, but they seem lighter. Fairly balanced sound and clear. The basses do remind me of the Cantiga strings as far as tonality.

brian

Post by brian » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am

got a set of the normal tension
pepe romero rectified strings after
reading the reviews here.
been a d'addario guy forever,
but these new strings really made an
impression on me. i like everything about them.
so much so, i ordered another 6 sets to
hold me over for a bit.
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

dta721

Post by dta721 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm

brian wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am
got a set of the normal tension pepe romero rectified strings after reading the reviews here.
been a d'addario guy forever, but these new strings really made an impression on me. i like everything about them.
so much so, i ordered another 6 sets to hold me over for a bit.
Brian: can you comment on the lengths of the bass strings on the Pepe Romero GRNM, are they long enough even for a normal 650mm scale long guitar?

It seems like a stupid question, but my experience with the Augustine Imperial Blue and Gold strings, strung on 3 guitars, is that the bass strings are consistently short :( , just about enough to do a knot at the roller (similar to how a string is knotted on a Bernabe advertised in Savinomusic web site) headstock. I had D'Addario HT before, and the bass strings have plenty of length to cut off, even after snipping the floppy dysfunction ends! The Augustine bass strings' lengths are too short, will be eliminated simply because of this!

In terms of sound, I like it enough to try the Imperial Gold (medium tension) -after the first 2 sets of Imperial Blue HT on 2 other guitars, on my humble laminated BM guitar, hoping to bring out more from this 70s guitar! :)

That said, I am moving toward medium/normal tension strings with a set of Savarez 510CR, will try the CRJ for HT bass much later!

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Just tried D'Addario EJ45 LP the lightly polished ones. I thought it would make my playing a bit cleaner and reduce the high trebles in a nice way. I've been rather addicted to the super bright highs of the brand new EJ45's for years, but with recording I find it a bit too much.

However, on stringing up my first set, I was disappointed to find them dull to the point of being uninspiring. I will give them another try since I think my lifetime of biases are getting in the way. The playing was cleaner in terms of finger squeaks.

KP

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”