What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
brian

Re: What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Post by brian » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 am

dta721 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm
brian wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am
got a set of the normal tension pepe romero rectified strings after reading the reviews here.
been a d'addario guy forever, but these new strings really made an impression on me. i like everything about them.
so much so, i ordered another 6 sets to hold me over for a bit.
Brian: can you comment on the lengths of the bass strings on the Pepe Romero GRNM, are they long enough even for a normal 650mm scale long guitar?

It seems like a stupid question, but my experience with the Augustine Imperial Blue and Gold strings, strung on 3 guitars, is that the bass strings are consistently short :( , just about enough to do a knot at the roller (similar to how a string is knotted on a Bernabe advertised in Savinomusic web site) headstock. I had D'Addario HT before, and the bass strings have plenty of length to cut off, even after snipping the floppy dysfunction ends! The Augustine bass strings' lengths are too short, will be eliminated simply because of this!

In terms of sound, I like it enough to try the Imperial Gold (medium tension) -after the first 2 sets of Imperial Blue HT on 2 other guitars, on my humble laminated BM guitar, hoping to bring out more from this 70s guitar! :)

That said, I am moving toward medium/normal tension strings with a set of Savarez 510CR, will try the CRJ for HT bass much later!
dta721,
no worries, there was plenty extra.
if you decide to give them a try, i hope
you enjoy them as much as i do.
(btw-on the set i have, the trebles had so much extra, i thought it was a mistake.)
if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
then quit.
there's no use being a damn fool about it.
-w.c. fields

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:03 am

brian wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 am
dta721,
no worries, there was plenty extra. if you decide to give them a try, i hope you enjoy them as much as i do.
(btw-on the set i have, the trebles had so much extra, i thought it was a mistake.)
Thanks for the info, Brian! :okok:
The trebles strings almost always have extra, I figure cost cutting is the reason why, it would cost more for those wirewound bass strings so they count ... every extra inches :wink: ! Then, to my surprise, the old BM guitar is actually of 660mm, which exacerbates the problem. Having said all that, I thought I was a little harsh on the Augustine brand earlier, the Imperial Gold strings do sound very good on that laminated BM!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 pm

I tried the RC Recital strings because I was looking for a set comparable to the Ramirez med tension with carbon G. Tension wise, they must be similar to the Ramirez, as my action didn't change at all, not 1/64th at the twelfth. The Ramirez set is 87 lbs. The RC recitals must be close to the same.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 pm

ameriken wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

510CJ cantiga/crystal HT
Aquila Zaffiro NT and
Aquila Rubino NT.

I hope at least one of these mates well with this guitar and has that 'wow' factor.
I've had the 510CJ's on the guitar for a week and a half now and I'm liking them. Trebles are somewhat bright but not overly, basses match well and are not overpowering, it's a very balanced set. Though it's 'HT' they're easy to play and still have a sweetness to them. Set matches well with the spruce top. They settled in nicely, intonation si great, and the G string is not too tubby. Can't say these have the 'wow' factor yet but definitely a set I'll buy again. Still have some experimenting to do.

Next will be one of the Aquila's and I have high hopes for both of them, just haven't decided it if will be the Rubino's or the Zaffiro's.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:29 am

D.Cass wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 am
I just got done playing that guitar, so it’s fresh on my mind. To me, no stiffness and fairly easy to play. However, they seem heavier than EJ45. I was told they are on pair with Hannabach mediums, but they seem lighter. Fairly balanced sound and clear. The basses do remind me of the Cantiga strings as far as tonality.
I think they are a little heavier than the EJ45, and lighter than the Hannabach mediums. If I use Hannabach I use the super low tension. The strings seem to be more flexible than the Ramirez medium tension and the Dogal Diamante trebles in Strong. The basses are comparable to the Ramirez set and Cantiga basses, but aren't as punchy as the Cantiga, at least on my guitar.

I posted my impressions of the Recitals on the RC Recital string thread.

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:20 am

Yes, I agree they are in between Hannabach and EJ45. I am use to Corum basses on the that guitar so yes they are considerably brighter than Corum, but not as much as the Cantiga basses.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm

In all fairness, I probably don't leave the sets on long enough for them to settle in but you can get a general idea after a day or two I think, maybe not.

Anyway...Ramirez Hard Tensions. So far on this guitar I think these basses sound bestest to me for what I think I like.
They're bright, they're bold - it could just be that they're hard tension though, so they sound larger than the Normal Tension stuff I've been trying, I dunno. I couldn't tell you how long they last because I already pulled 'em off. :)
I don't love the trebles, the feel of them basically. Intonation's ok. The whole set was a liitle stiffer feeling to me than
EJ46s which I recently tried(again) even though I believe on paper the EJ46s are a hair higher in tension.

Decaff.

Movitz

Post by Movitz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I've used Savarez carte rouge ever sinse late seventies when I got serious about classical guitar playing. Good tension, long lasting. Will probably stick to them, but it night be interesting trying something else from suggestions here...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Movitz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:32 pm
I've used Savarez carte rouge ever sinse late seventies when I got serious about classical guitar playing. Good tension, long lasting. Will probably stick to them, but it night be interesting trying something else from suggestions here...
That set feels really good under the left and right hand. I had my daughter’s Ramirez set up with those. They seem to be on the low side of hard tension sets that are available. I’ve got Dogal Diamanté regular tension and Savarez med Cantiga on it now, just cause I wanted to hear how they sounded on her guitar, as I use these on my Ramirez.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

LD, thought you'd might like to see this from the Aquila Rubino thread on the Rubino's I just put on and had a string break.

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 3#p1256693
ameriken wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm
No more breakages overnite. I've tuned them up to pitch and have been playing on them for a while.

Assuming there are no further breakages, then wow, I really love these!

I'm terrible with descriptions but the two words that keep coming to mind are 'clean and easy'.

While the Rubino's are considered 'normal' tension, they initially feel stiff as if they are high tension, however they are far easier to play than the Savarez HT cantiga/cristals I had on as well as the D'addario TT's normals I had prior to those. By easier I mean some of the techniques I was struggling to improve such as certain barre chords or right hand harmonics are actually no problem now (I'm learning Un Dia de Noviembre so you'll know what I'm talking about). Overall fretting and finger placement is easier with less buzzing and squeaking. They feel like one of the nicest sets of strings I've ever laid my hands on (pun intended). My playing and the sound is far 'cleaner'.

Intonation is great and the G string is not tubby. Very balanced tone and note separation across the strings with bright yet sweet trebles. Bright in a nylon way, not a carbon way.

Maybe I'm saying this prematurely, but (assuming no other breakage) so far I think these will be my favorite strings.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 am

ameriken wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm
LD, thought you'd might like to see this from the Aquila Rubino thread on the Rubino's I just put on and had a string break.

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 3#p1256693
ameriken wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm
No more breakages overnite. I've tuned them up to pitch and have been playing on them for a while.

Assuming there are no further breakages, then wow, I really love these!

I'm terrible with descriptions but the two words that keep coming to mind are 'clean and easy'.

While the Rubino's are considered 'normal' tension, they initially feel stiff as if they are high tension, however they are far easier to play than the Savarez HT cantiga/cristals I had on as well as the D'addario TT's normals I had prior to those. By easier I mean some of the techniques I was struggling to improve such as certain barre chords or right hand harmonics are actually no problem now (I'm learning Un Dia de Noviembre so you'll know what I'm talking about). Overall fretting and finger placement is easier with less buzzing and squeaking. They feel like one of the nicest sets of strings I've ever laid my hands on (pun intended). My playing and the sound is far 'cleaner'.

Intonation is great and the G string is not tubby. Very balanced tone and note separation across the strings with bright yet sweet trebles. Bright in a nylon way, not a carbon way.

Maybe I'm saying this prematurely, but (assuming no other breakage) so far I think these will be my favorite strings.
Thanks Ken, I read that whole thread. Sounds like those strings like to snap still?

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 am

Yes, seems like it. I've got the Rosette diamond ties, and the string snapped clean right between the tie and the bridge, so it's not like it was rubbing or wrapped around anything. It's really a great string so long as they're stretched properly during install. On top of my list for strings I like.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

ameriken wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 am
Yes, seems like it. I've got the Rosette diamond ties, and the string snapped clean right between the tie and the bridge, so it's not like it was rubbing or wrapped around anything. It's really a great string so long as they're stretched properly during install. On top of my list for strings I like.
Sounds to me as if the ties are to blame. Looking at pictures these are quite small, bending the string a lot. For a traditional 6-hole bridge the bending will be different and spread out over a longer piece of string. If you write of a clean snap between the bride and the tie, I am wondering whether something was shearing the string off - that is the hole in the tie and the bridge not properly aligned.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am

10 packs of La Bella 2001 Medium Tension
10 packs of Daddario EJ45
5 packs of Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR

I bought them cause I like them ;) Different on differens guitars.

/J
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Sounds to me as if the ties are to blame. Looking at pictures these are quite small, bending the string a lot. For a traditional 6-hole bridge the bending will be different and spread out over a longer piece of string. If you write of a clean snap between the bride and the tie, I am wondering whether something was shearing the string off - that is the hole in the tie and the bridge not properly aligned.
Joachim, I thought about the ties as well, except...

-Haven't had any other company strings break

-The Rubino's do have a history of string breaks and Strings by Mail also warns they are a delicate string and to 'stretch properly' (which was also done on this set). There's an entire thread on the Rubino's http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... 43&t=92785

-The place where it broke is where the string was straight, not bent or tied. There was no evidence of shearing, it was a pretty clean break,

If I continue having these problems with other strings, then I concur it might be the ties. For now, I had enough string left to retie it and it's working fine now fortunately.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”