What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ameriken

Re: What strings did you last buy and try...and why?

Post by ameriken » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Brandon Walker wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am
I recently strung up my Michael Ritchie with Aquila NT Nylgut basses, and Ambra 2000 trebles. After a couple of days, the basses really do have a deep, purring, lower fundamental emphasis. I like it, and I’m seeing how it develops. The Ambra 2000 trebles really do have a rich and sweet sound, and feel lovely under the fingers. Over the last eight months I’ve tried everything from genuine gut through all my favourite clear and rectified nylons, including, recently, the red-gold Hannabach 827 flamenco trebles. The Ambra 2000 are winning. I have hit on so many delightful combinations of strings, and there are so many left to try. I’m studying guitar full time now, so I burn through sets quicker, and I do sometimes wonder if I’ll ever land on a set that I’ll stick with.

At the moment I am awaiting delivery of Aquila’s new Alchemia set, NT. These have clear trebles made from a sugarcane derivative; the description of their characteristics in the site is very interesting. It is unclear whether the basses are regular Nylgut or something new again - they have identical tension charts, but in the description I got the sense that they might be something new.

I will report on my findings.
Curious how you're liking the Ambra's and if you've tried the Alchemia's yet?

BTW, according to SBM it appears the Alchemia's were discontinued.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 pm

rinneby wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am
10 packs of La Bella 2001 Medium Tension
10 packs of Daddario EJ45
5 packs of Savarez Cantiga Creation 510MR

I bought them cause I like them ;) Different on differens guitars.

/J
These should last you a wee while.

I didn’t know you were using red Cantiga Creation sets. Before trying the Hannabach I used (and still have a few) Savarez New Cristal sets. I had a set of 540CR recently and liked the tension for playing but was wondering whether the guitar wants higher (e.g. CRJ). Regarding tone this was one of my favourite Savarez sets.

The LaBella 2001 mediums are lower tension, in particular the bass strings. Could you comment on these? How do the instruments cope with the low tension of the bass strings? Are you using them on the same instrument or are you using them on different instruments as the cantigas? In my experience modern Savarez basses (500, 510 and 540) are long lasting (I play them around 100 h). Do the low tension 2001 basses last as long as the Cantiga basses? Since our last conversation, I am considering trying LaBella 2001 in future but am uncertain what tension to try. I am still fond of the Hannabach LT strings, but the jury is still out on how well they last me.

Thanks. J.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 am

Carbon. I had to get it out of my system and see what it's about. I bought a pack of D'Addario EJ45FF, EJ46FF and Savarez 500AJ.
I've started with the EJ45FFs. Kinda cool, I knew the E string wasn't going to make it but I had to try it for myself and indeed off it went, replaced it with an Augustine Classic E. It seems I'm playing a little cleaner, might be the skinnier diameter or just that I'm playing more lately in general. The trebles are definitely stiff, the immediacy of it is kinda cool though. I think I do like the Dynacore basses though. I don't think I'm imagining that when I fret the 7th, 9th fret areas there seems to me more definition and clarity on my guitar than with the EJ46 basses. To be continued.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:32 am

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 pm
rinneby wrote:

/J

I didn’t know you were using red Cantiga Creation sets. Before trying the Hannabach I used (and still have a few) Savarez New Cristal sets. I had a set of 540CR recently and liked the tension for playing but was wondering whether the guitar wants higher (e.g. CRJ). Regarding tone this was one of my favourite Savarez sets.

The LaBella 2001 mediums are lower tension, in particular the bass strings. Could you comment on these? How do the instruments cope with the low tension of the bass strings? Are you using them on the same instrument or are you using them on different instruments as the cantigas? In my experience modern Savarez basses (500, 510 and 540) are long lasting (I play them around 100 h). Do the low tension 2001 basses last as long as the Cantiga basses? Since our last conversation, I am considering trying LaBella 2001 in future but am uncertain what tension to try. I am still fond of the Hannabach LT strings, but the jury is still out on how well they last me.

Thanks. J.
If it's medium tension you want, get the LaBella 2001 in hard tension. They are about a lb less tension than EJ45. If you want hard tension, use the 2001 extra hard as they are 90 lbs or so.

ElectricLute

Post by ElectricLute » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Savarez Crystal Corum on my Alhambra . I've tried a lot of sets . Aranjuez , Hannabach , Daddario, Savarez Alliance and Augustine all different tensions . The Crystal Corum high tension set is the best I've heard in years .
1984 Paul Fischer
1975 Tamura
2000 Oskar Graf 10 string
Alhambra 9P CW

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 pm

ElectricLute wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm
Savarez Crystal Corum on my Alhambra . I've tried a lot of sets . Aranjuez , Hannabach , Daddario, Savarez Alliance and Augustine all different tensions . The Crystal Corum high tension set is the best I've heard in years .
Cristal-Corum HT's are most definitely a nice set. Bright but not overly bright trebles with a round sound.

Definitely on my list to buy again. Have you ever tried them in NT's and if yes, what did you think? I'm thinking
about trying those in the normals.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 am

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:56 pm
rinneby wrote:

/J

Thanks. J.
Since I buy and sell guitars, I use La Bella 2001 on pretty much all guitars to start with, instead of the ordinary Daddario EJ45. They are little brighter than EJ45, last longer and also has better sustain, at least the basses. The La Bella strings are also easier on the hands, not as stiff. Some guitars can however sound a little thin with La Bellas, then the EJ45 are a better choice. Regarding Savarez 510MR. they often sound good on older Japanse classical that are a more heavy built and need something "to work with".

Hope it helps!

/J
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7
1971 - Marcelino Lopez Nieto
1976 - Hideo Ida
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm

As I may have mentioned earlier, the latest set of strings I tried were the Royal Classics RL50 Recital strings. I went to a friends today, a fellow Ramirez owner, and took my Ramirez 4NE strung with the RC, and my daughter’s 2NE strung with Ramirez medium tension strings with carbon G. My friend has a 125 Ramirez with the Ramirez med c carbon g.

My friend couldn’t tell which strings were RC or Ramirez. She kept asking me which strings were which. And to tell you the truth, I lost track of what was what as we were handing guitars back and forth. They really all kind of sounded similar. All cedar tops. All rosewood back and sides. Two solid, one laminate b/s. They all sounded the same. I used to own her 125 and that guitar sounded extra special with D’Addario EJ45. None of them sounded really like anything special when we played yesterday.

So, it could have been the strings, it could have been the guitars. Perhaps the string makers have hit a high level of quality. Or perhaps Ramirez has achieved a high level of mediocrity? I dunno.😜. Actually the guitars sounded pretty good. They just sounded really the same.

Edit: it actually could have been the beer haha,✌🏻

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm

rinneby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 am
Since I buy and sell guitars, I use La Bella 2001 on pretty much all guitars to start with, instead of the ordinary Daddario EJ45. They are little brighter than EJ45, last longer and also has better sustain, at least the basses. The La Bella strings are also easier on the hands, not as stiff. Some guitars can however sound a little thin with La Bellas, then the EJ45 are a better choice. Regarding Savarez 510MR. they often sound good on older Japanse classical that are a more heavy built and need something "to work with".

Hope it helps!

/J
Hi Jon

Thanks a lot for your time to write a detailed answer. It clarifies a lot. So to use 2001 mediums one needs an instrument that works well with the low tension of this set. If the instrument wants higher tension you choose differently. So no magic that one can have the ease of playing of the low tension set and the sound a higer tension would generate on the instrument.

If you like the sound of LaBella 2001, did you try a higher tension 2001 set on an instrument the mediums were thin? From what you write a medium-high or high set seems a better starting point than medium for me.

Thanks again
Joachim

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:42 am

Hannabach Goldin ... because I like Hannabch strings and wanted to try their other offerings.
This is the first time I have tried anything with a higher tension than medium, and I was very impressed, particulary with the treble set and the excellent G - brilliant on my cedar Contreras, now I will try them on the Simplicio. Not completely convinced by the basses (not bad) but fortunately you can just get the treble set (or individuals) and I will certainly try more Goldin trebles with other basses. I'm definitely homing in on Hannabach as my go-to brand.
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 am

You must like tension Contreras!

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm
rinneby wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 am

Hope it helps!

/J
Hi Jon

Thanks a lot for your time to write a detailed answer. It clarifies a lot. So to use 2001 mediums one needs an instrument that works well with the low tension of this set. If the instrument wants higher tension you choose differently. So no magic that one can have the ease of playing of the low tension set and the sound a higer tension would generate on the instrument.

If you like the sound of LaBella 2001, did you try a higher tension 2001 set on an instrument the mediums were thin? From what you write a medium-high or high set seems a better starting point than medium for me.

Thanks again
Joachim
Well, La Bella Medium can actually work pretty well on pretty much every guitar, not only lighter ones. But as I said, the trebles can sound a little thin on some guitars, but they work genrally well. I think they can be quite magic actually.

No, I have not walked up in tension from La Bellas, they are more expensive.

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kono No.7
1971 - Marcelino Lopez Nieto
1976 - Hideo Ida
2017 - Karel Dedain
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am

Well, the EJ45FFs came and went. They were interesting, the G was kinda dead. I recorded some & listened back. I thought I liked the basses pretty well so I went up to the EJ46FF basses, I don't think the guitar liked them, the A sounded weird, muted or something. I know some strings need to sit on there for days for them to get right & I admit it, guilty as charged, I definitely don't give 'em a chance...but some strings you put on and immediately or soon after, you're like yeah this seems right.

Anyway to be continued...EJ45 Basses & Imperial Trebles back on again. hahahahah

geoff-bristol
Amateur luthier

Post by geoff-bristol » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:53 pm

Having 6 guitars to pay with ( al my own make ) I sort of revolve around La Bella 2001 med hard - savarez 520b and the ej's - either 45 or 46. My latest does not seem happy with the 46's trebles - not sure what it is ?
Fact is I can get ej's three packs at good price - which colours my judgement !

I've just ordered a set of cantiga bass/crystal trebles, med - and also some carbon med ej45 treble half set ?
I like the rectified savarez 520b though.I tried them as I play with fingers.
Awkward having different guitars - and trying to assess their sound ( with regard making the next ? ) - when one is playing one all the time ! I try to swap guitars - but then I need to get used to the other, so its hard to judge strings !

As said - trust your ear( I say 'ear' singular as one is half deaf to higher pitches anyway ! -slowly wearing out )

bauersachs82

Post by bauersachs82 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

All of the input here is really interesting. I just put in an order for a pack of regular Dogal Diamante's and a pack of Hannabach 815 Silver Special medium. I usually don't spend this much on strings but I have a Navarro Concert coming in today and I think that guitar deserves some nice strings.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”