D-string on D'Addario EXP45 and EJ45C sets - are these delicate?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

D-string on D'Addario EXP45 and EJ45C sets - are these delicate?

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi,

In autumn I had a set of D'Addario EXP46 strings, that were reasonbly successful with me.

The 4D-string of the EXP45 and EJ45C is very low tension, which must mean very thin wire to get the mass down. A year ago I used a set of EJ45C and was very unhappy with the D-string and the trebles. My then assessment was that due to left hand pressure, I destroyed the 4D-stings at the frets. After a year of tuition and working on right hand technique I am considering reassessing normal tension D'Addario strings.

Before doing so, I'd like to ask, how delicate do you perceive the D-string of these sets (EXP45 and EJ45C, not vanilla EJ45 whose D-string is "normal" in tension)? Is it easily destroyed by to much left hand pressure? I used the EXP46 for 3 month and had no such complaint regarding the D-string being quickly destroyed, but would like to use a lower tension string set.

Thanks
Joachim

PS: Normal tension Savarez basses survive me for 6 weeks or more.

souldier

Re: D-string on D'Addario EXP45 and EJ45C sets - are these delicate?

Post by souldier » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 pm

They generally aren't delicate, but if you keep them on for long and have excess tension on the left hand then it could be a problem. I change my strings every 1-2 months and never have issues with the 4th string breaking. If you like to keep your strings on for a longer time, then EXP is probably a better option.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 pm

souldier wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:21 pm
They generally aren't delicate, but if you keep them on for long and have excess tension on the left hand then it could be a problem. I change my strings every 1-2 months and never have issues with the 4th string breaking. If you like to keep your strings on for a longer time, then EXP is probably a better option.
Thanks for the reply. You sound as if you use(d) both of them quite regularly. I was under the impression (from the D'Addario publity material) that both of them should last substantially longer than regular EJ45s (if you don't destroy them by pressing to hard :shock: )

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 pm

The EXP D string is .028 and the D string in the regular EJ45 set is .029. They both are silver plated copper. I wonder if the used a little smaller copper strand to leave room for the coating on the EXP. it seems to me that.001 difference wouldn’t really matter.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 pm
The EXP D string is .028 and the D string in the regular EJ45 set is .029. They both are silver plated copper. I wonder if the used a little smaller copper strand to leave room for the coating on the EXP. it seems to me that.001 difference wouldn’t really matter.
I assume they use a thicker nylon core. To get the tension down they have to use less copper by using a thinner wire.

Have you played those?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 am

joachim33 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:52 pm
I assume they use a thicker nylon core. To get the tension down they have to use less copper by using a thinner wire.

Have you played those?
I haven’t tried the EXP for classical yet. I just found out that they are copper basses. I was previously under the impression that they would be bronze, as I’ve only used the EXP steel sets on my old dreadnought. I really like the EJ45 set, so I may just try the EXP out. I’ve got about three more new to me sets that I’m gonna use up first. The EJ45 D string has always lasted pretty long time for me.

I am just now to the point that I want to try coated strings. I like that D’Addario coats the wire before they are wrapped around the core. Unlike Elixer, which coats the string afterward so thick that you can’t feel the windings. I’m going to try the EXP and Sevilla sets.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:10 am

The vanilla EJ45 have 4D strings which are about normal in tension. It’s the EXP45 and EJ45c 4D strings, which are low in tension.

I quite liked the EXP46 but a year ago wasn’t happy with the EJ45c.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”