5A and 4D Bass strings don't like being in a dark case ...

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Philosopherguy

Re: 5A and 4D Bass strings don't like being in a dark case ...

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

I would never tie a guitar with the floppy ends at the bridge. For one, at that end the string is inconsistent and could result in poor intonation or loss of sustain. Secondly, the loose ends, as far as I am concerned, are used to make a small tie, or wrap around the string, when needed at the rollers to avoid slippage. I believe the tie/wrap is why the ends become floppy and more pliable, other than possibly just being a result of the manufacturing process.

The break I see in the picture at the d string should have nothing to do with the way you tie, break angle, nut or roller. It is broken farther up the string. If the saddle is a problem or the break angle, the string will break right at the saddle.

I think you just have bad strings. I would try a different brand if you are unhappy with the breakages/lifespan.

If a string breaks right at the saddle: you may have a saddle issue. If the string breaks right at the nut: you may have a nut issue. If it breaks in the middle of the string over the frets: you might have a burr on one of your frets. If it breaks in the middle of the string where you play: it might just be worn down, or it's just a bad string. If the string breaks at the roller: well sometimes it happens because you can't help but have a harsh break angle as the string pulls through the roller. When I say these things "may" cause an issue, I mean that it would take further examination to see if there is a problem or if you just had bad luck with a string.

Sometimes we just get bad strings and life is just like that.

Good luck!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Humidity/dryness (nylon absorbs moisture), temperature variations and aging when under load(i.e., string tension) also affect nylon (polyamide). These factors can lead to loss of tensile strength and subsequent material fractures. I concur that the observed breaks did not happen due to the attachment method. I have had only one string slip at the bridge in over 40 years: an e that was only wrapped in a figure 8. Since that "accident" (the string end put a dent in the finish) I have always wrapped the e 3 times. Not a single slip since. Bass D strings have broken at the bridge when I used them for too long and played very heavily and this was not due to too sharp an edge on the saddle. I have also had D strings break in the middle from very heavy use: the playing results in worn areas at the frets and weakens the nylon core. Only seems to happen when I have played a lot of pieces that use the D string more than usual.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 am

Likely a tiny burr on the saddle...micromesh sanding paper...go easy and polish the saddle.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”