Mellow strings for bright guitar

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
craigh

Mellow strings for bright guitar

Post by craigh » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Most of the time I've looked for strings that have alot of projection , bright sound , etc. But I have a guitar that is quite bright sounding even with the hard tension D'Addarios on it . Does anyone have experience with a really nice sounding string that is not too bright ? I remember seeing a chart someone did for treble string brightness , but I'd like to see if anyone has new insight ... Thanks

ameriken

Re: Mellow strings for bright guitar

Post by ameriken » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 am

I've been experimenting with the Burguet (spruce) I just got and haven't tried too many sets but it came with Savarez 500ARJ's (corum/alliance) which I found to be quite bright. Then I put on a set of EJ45LP's (polished basses) and they were less bright and more warm.

Current set is the EJ45TT's (titaniums) which I find to be warmer and mellower than both the above. Trebles are quite sweet, I like them but actually wouldn't mind them being a bit brighter. MIght be worth a try.

I wonder if dropping the tension from the 46's to the 45's (NT) might also help?
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:29 am

I suggest there are two ways of looking at this. You may find the guitar bright because of the treble strings, but the balance between bass and treble might also be contributing.

As ameriken says, try dropping tension (maybe even try EJ43 trebles). A richer set of bass strings might help, for example Savarez Corum medium tension. If you want to try a set with richer basses and less bright trebles maybe consider Hannabach Silver Special 815 in extra low tension or low tension (don't go any higher in Hannabach tensions if you are used to EJ46).
Last edited by petermc61 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am

Aquila Ambra 2000 would be a great choice :)

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 am

petermc61 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:29 am
I suggest there are two ways of looking at this. You may find the guitar bright because of the treble strings, but the balance between bass and treble might also be contributing.

As ameriken says, try dropping tension (maybe even try EJ43 trebles). A richer set of bass strings might help, for example Savarez Corum medium tension. If you want to try a set with richer basses and less brought trebles maybe consider Hannabach Silver Special 815 in extra low tension or low tension (don't go any higher in Hannabach tensions if you are used to EJ46).
I just changed my guitar from Savarez 540 CR (Classic New Cristal normal tension) to Hannabach 815 LT. Strings are still settling, but so far the Hannabach appear to have a much reduced brightness when compared to the Savarez, which is in line with what Peter wrote.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:01 pm

The inherent sound of the guitar will always come through. If you're finding this guitar a bit bright for your liking even with EJ46's on them, then your best bet is to probably change the guitar :D. Otherwise, right hand technique and nail filing/shaping/polishing go a really long way. How do you currently take care of your nails?
Last edited by souldier on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Seconding the Hannabach 815s. Much darker tone while still very lively. I do recommend using a CF G, though, eg, Savarez Alliance.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”