Ball ends at the headstock?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rpavich

Ball ends at the headstock?

Post by rpavich » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:58 pm

I was putting on a set of Dunlop strings and was cutting off the ball end and tying the string up at the peg and then thought...why? Why not just use that ball end instead?

So for two of the bass strings I used the ball end at the headstock and it seemed to work just great. I still did several wraps of the string, it's just that the ball end was in lieu of tying it off.

Any feedback on that?
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

zzzsegundaepoca

Re: Ball ends at the headstock?

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:04 pm

What an amazing idea! I can’t foresee any major problems with it

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm

It would work, but you would get less of an angle between the saddle and the tie block. That may or may not be an issue for your guitar.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Bill wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 pm
It would work, but you would get less of an angle between the saddle and the tie block. That may or may not be an issue for your guitar.
The ball ends are at the headstock, the saddle attachment is tied like usual.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm

I can imagine this working without issue. The real question is how do the strings sound? My impression has been that nylon strings with ball ends are cheap and poor sounding.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm
I can imagine this working without issue. The real question is how do the strings sound? My impression has been that nylon strings with ball ends are cheap and poor sounding.
It appears that lots of manufacturers make ball end variants. Having said that, I'm probably not the best candidate to say, as I'm a rank noob. I think they sound fine with no issues.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:12 am

Ball ends at the headstock might be a „creative“ approach but definitely not the intended application as can be seen on various pictures from string manufacturers where they are always located at the bridge.

It’s of course possible to use them the other way round though difficult to see advantages doing so. E.g. one might experience space limitations depending on the ball size and the specific geometry of the guitar‘s headstock and the fixation wrapping of the bass ball ends are usually much longer then the rollers diameter!s

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

I'd be concerned that over time the ball might damage the material of the roller.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm
I'd be concerned that over time the ball might damage the material of the roller.
That's a consideration for sure, thank you.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:59 pm

This is my non-ball-end solution. Works fine and you don't need more than one or two windings - pretty quick! E6 may stuck, depends on the make of strings and your tuners. Then make a knot, that's all.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Gorn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:59 pm
This is my non-ball-end solution. Works fine and you don't need more than one or two windings - pretty quick! E6 may stuck, depends on the make of strings and your tuners. Then make a knot, that's all.
I had seen this somewhere, I'll try this on the next set. It appears to do a good lock on the strings.

dta721

Post by dta721 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:54 pm

rpavich wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 pm
Gorn wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:59 pm
I had seen this somewhere, I'll try this on the next set. It appears to do a good lock on the strings.
I don't mean to hijack the OP topic, just want to share I found by chance when perusing the Savino web site. I thought the way the string got locked at the roller is simple and effective, especially for thicker bass strings. The string goes over the roller and threads back in from behind. Then it runs down around and back up, coming down to be tucked by its own loop. See attached #1.

For smaller diameter trebles (except the G string from Augustine Imperial which is quite big), I adopted the Derek Hastek's "staple knots" as I found online (thus giving him credits). When the string gets out of the hole, it immediate goes back down to it, looping over its own. Remember to pull tight to make a lower profile "staple" possible. See attached #2 and #3.

I think making a good lock at this end will minimize settling time, thus was glad to find these methods online, and hope you may like it too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 pm

dta721 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:54 pm

I don't mean to hijack the OP topic, just want to share I found by chance when perusing the Savino web site. I thought the way the string got locked at the roller is simple and effective, especially for thicker bass strings. The string goes over the roller and threads back in from behind. Then it runs down around and back up, coming down to be tucked by its own loop. See attached #1.

For smaller diameter trebles (except the G string from Augustine Imperial which is quite big), I adopted the Derek Hastek's "staple knots" as I found online (thus giving him credits). When the string gets out of the hole, it immediate goes back down to it, looping over its own. Remember to pull tight to make a lower profile "staple" possible. See attached #2 and #3.

I think making a good lock at this end will minimize settling time, thus was glad to find these methods online, and hope you may like it too!
Oh..I think that this was what I was referring to! I remember the diagrams.

Regulus

Post by Regulus » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:30 am

Dia721: That was how my Savarez strings were attached at the headstock when I got the guitar. I have just re-strung with some normal tension strings to try them after the High tension Savarez and used the same system to secure them.
The bass strings are holding there tuning already and I only changed them today. Will be interesting to see how they go once I sit down to play.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”