The Strings Pledge

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
mrvegas

The Strings Pledge

Post by mrvegas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am

"I will not buy more strings until I use the ones I already have." How many have promised themselves this? How many have kept the promise?

I have several sets of strings sitting in a drawer. Will probably break the pledge shortly anyway.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

zzzsegundaepoca

Re: The Strings Pledge

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:22 am

But what if you break a string, or what if the strings in the drawer are dead, can you have too many strings?

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 am

I think the moral of the story should be...try as many strings as possible. Create an anecdote about why you will never use another manufacture again and swear by the strings you like.

That is after all what keeps them in business and supplying us with great strings.

For me it is Aquila, because I hear what I want when I string them up.

zzzsegundaepoca

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am

MessyTendon wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 am
I think the moral of the story should be...try as many strings as possible. Create an anecdote about why you will never use another manufacture again and swear by the strings you like.

That is after all what keeps them in business and supplying us with great strings.

I love the alabastros! What a pleasant sound!

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 am

MessyTendon wrote:
I think the moral of the story should be...try as many strings as possible.
That's the problem, of course. I have a drawer full of different sets. I bought them to try different things. What if I don't like them as well as what is on the guitar now? That's why I have to order more of what I am using now. Then, after I order more of those and put them on, I will decide I have to try something completely different, but since I have already tried all the ones in the drawer at one time or another, I will have to try something that I have never tried before. Then I will be too lazy to change the strings, and decide I like the ones I have on after all, and there will yet another set of different strings sitting in my drawer, and the question will repeat itself over and over and over . . . and then repeat for multiple guitars.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:09 am

mrvegas wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am
"I will not buy more strings until I use the ones I already have." How many have promised themselves this? How many have kept the promise?

I have several sets of strings sitting in a drawer. Will probably break the pledge shortly anyway.
I am curious how many sets you call „to many” and how many you need per month.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 am

MessyTendon wrote:

Trying strings can be a distraction from the things that matter - developing your (right hand) technique and watching for precise fretting.

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 am

...and if you have a new guitar, then you don’t know what all the strings you’ve tried sound like on that.

I am actually going to put a set of EJ45s on my Michael Ritchie today. There is a theory that strings with less character of their own are more suited to finer instruments. I think I’d like to try it. At the very least I’m hoping to give more context to my preferences, and I have a set of La Bella 10PH ready to swap out if I’m too unimpressed with the D’Addarios. :D

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 am

You can’t have too many good strings. You can have too many sets of EJ45/EJ46. :roll:

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 pm

I really don't understand this string obsession. I buy a few packs at a time because it's cheaper. Occasionally I'll buy something different just to try and I guess over the years I have tried quite a few, but to be honest I find the differences to be very marginal.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Indeed, strings do not seem to be a big obsession to at least some pros. Manuel Barrueco was once asked, he said something like, I think Augustine regals, I don't worry too much about that. When the Beijing guitar duo performed here, we asked them about what strings they used, they were not sure. It just wasn't on their radar. David Russells sticks to good of D'Addario Pro Artes.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 pm

astro64 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm
When the Beijing guitar duo performed here, we asked them about what strings they used, they were not sure. It just wasn't on their radar.
That lack of attention to detail is frankly worrying for a professional. I wonder if they knew what guitars they played?

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

astro64 wrote:
...strings do not seem to be a big obsession to at least some pros. Manuel Barrueco was once asked, he said something like, I think Augustine regals, I don't worry too much about that. When the Beijing guitar duo performed here, we asked them about what strings they used, they were not sure. It just wasn't on their radar. David Russells sticks to good of D'Addario Pro Artes.

I think that there may be a bit more to it than that. When a pro advertises what strings they use, it is often (usually?) the case that they are being sponsored by that string company and thus being paid to use them and to tell everyone that they are using them. On the other hand, if a pro is vague about it, it may not be due to ignorance as to what's on their guitar, but due to their lack of sponsorship by a string company and/or their reluctance to be seen to be "promoting" any particular brand.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm

astro64 wrote:
David Russells sticks to good of D'Addario Pro Artes.
I wouldn't call it sticking. He gave interviews - the links were posted here at some point in the past - explaining his choice. After having used a set of EXP46 in autumn - David uses EJ45 - I can see where he is coming from. If you see his left hand flying up-n-down the neck I am wondering whether I should have more of a look into lowish tension.

There are more top level performers using D'Addario strings. While I am currently more fond of Savarez strings than D'Addarios, I think the common D'Addario bashing on this forum doesn't lead anywhere.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm
astro64 wrote:
...strings do not seem to be a big obsession to at least some pros. Manuel Barrueco was once asked, he said something like, I think Augustine regals, I don't worry too much about that. When the Beijing guitar duo performed here, we asked them about what strings they used, they were not sure. It just wasn't on their radar. David Russells sticks to good of D'Addario Pro Artes.

I think that there may be a bit more to it than that. When a pro advertises what strings they use, it is often (usually?) the case that they are being sponsored by that string company and thus being paid to use them and to tell everyone that they are using them. On the other hand, if a pro is vague about it, it may not be due to ignorance as to what's on their guitar, but due to their lack of sponsorship by a string company and/or their reluctance to be seen to be "promoting" any particular brand.
I worte it before: the last thing a concert performer can affort is: ruining a concert/recording due to poor strings. I am sure they would look for a different sponsor if they couldn't perform on the strings their current sponsor offers.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”