The Strings Pledge

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Lovemyguitar

Re: The Strings Pledge

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:03 pm
I wrote it before: the last thing a concert performer can afford is: ruining a concert/recording due to poor strings. I am sure they would look for a different sponsor if they couldn't perform on the strings their current sponsor offers.

I have no argument with you. I never said that any particular strings were good or bad, just that those who openly promote them are likely getting paid to do so. And, presumably, of course, no pro would use nor promote strings that they did not like and trust.

I actually couldn't care less what strings anybody uses, and I am not all that fussy about what I use on my own guitars, either. The guitars themselves are what most interest me. Cheers!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:28 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 pm
astro64 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm
When the Beijing guitar duo performed here, we asked them about what strings they used, they were not sure. It just wasn't on their radar.
That lack of attention to detail is frankly worrying for a professional. I wonder if they knew what guitars they played?
They did know. Both had Dammanns, one was fuller in the treble and I remember them agreeing that one was better, but what can you do. I don't agree it is worrying at all they know little about the strings. These artists have a sound of their own that they will reproduce. My former instructor is good friends with Manuel Barrueco. My friend owned the Ruck guitar that was the next one after the famous Barrueco Ruck. Ruck played that guitar and my friend's Kohno. He sounded like Manuel Barrueco on both guitars, with that same signature sound. Quite different instruments. Sure, he would sound different on a Smallman but not on most traditional guitars. In fact, he sounds pretty much the same on his Dammann as on his Ruck. A pro adopts the strings that sound good to them, either because their own instructors had it or because it has been around for decades and they are happy with and don't look further. We tend to keep looking no matter what for that next greener pasture. We might hear subtle difference, the audience would never.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Not sure that it is common to 'bash' D'Addario on this forum. Like every other brand mentioned here on the forum they get user comment, both good and bad. The one thing which strikes me as odd more often than not is the number of people who use them and speak highly of them but seemingly have never tried any, or very few, alternatives. There is a whole world of strings out there to explore. Guitarists who do so may well find a great match with their guitar and their playing style - it seems intuitively obvious that the chance of finding your perfect string only increases with the more sets you try.

In case people think I am too hard on the old EJ45/46 I do often talk of their strengths and recommend them as the first set to try to get a baseline to experiment from. So, my take on EJ45/46 both good and bad:
  • They are economical
  • They last about average time for guitar strings, but noticeably less than some more expensive strings
  • They are amongst the most consistent and reliable strings made, in relation to intonation
  • Basses sound good, but with less brightness than some
  • The b and e strings are mellow/dark amongst the comparator nylon family. Their sustain is about average for nylon
  • The g string is relatively tubby and a bit lower in sustain than nylon comparator strings, and noticeably less than a carbon G
Peter

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

mrvegas wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 am
"I will not buy more strings until I use the ones I already have." How many have promised themselves this? How many have kept the promise?

I have several sets of strings sitting in a drawer. Will probably break the pledge shortly anyway.
Me too... :oops:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Perhaps "string mania" is a disguised dissatisfaction with your playing which you refuse to attribute to a lack of technique, control, use of dynamics, etc., but must, undoubtedly, be caused by the strings. . . ergo the eternal, maniacal quest for the holy grail. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Perhaps, but "string mania" might also be from chasing an elusive sound that is desired from the guitar. Which as you suggest may or may not be achievable because of the guitar or the player.

Personally, trying a variety of strings is a lot of fun.

Rognvald wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm
Perhaps "string mania" is a disguised dissatisfaction with your playing which you refuse to attribute to a lack of technique, control, use of dynamics, etc., but must, undoubtedly, be caused by the strings. . . ergo the eternal, maniacal quest for the holy grail. Playing again . . . Rognvald
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:25 am

joachim33 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 pm
astro64 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:38 pm
David Russells sticks to good of D'Addario Pro Artes.
I wouldn't call it sticking. He gave interviews - the links were posted here at some point in the past - explaining his choice. After having used a set of EXP46 in autumn - David uses EJ45 - I can see where he is coming from. If you see his left hand flying up-n-down the neck I am wondering whether I should have more of a look into lowish tension.

There are more top level performers using D'Addario strings. While I am currently more fond of Savarez strings than D'Addarios, I think the common D'Addario bashing on this forum doesn't lead anywhere.
I didn't mean it in a negative way. I use them myself too. I also read he is happy with those strings. My point was he found something that worked and has been using them for years, even though more and more string brands and types of strings come out that seem to tempt many of us to look for something better all the time.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 am

Rognvald wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm
Perhaps "string mania" is a disguised dissatisfaction with your playing . . .
Nothing disguised about it -- I'm not very good, just barely good enough to entertain myself (and the dogs seem to like it too). I guess all activities have their equipment fetishes -- there's always a better golf club, tennis racquet, running shoe, etc., that is just what you need. In the electric guitar world, how much ink has been spilled discussing the merits of different distortion pedals? How many listeners can tell the difference?

I am faced with the immediate issue of having strings on my guitar which I pretty much like but have to replace, but many sets of different strings in a drawer. I feel guilty just ordering more and not using the ones I have -- after all how much of a difference can it really make for me? Oh well, I will probably just order more anyway. At least "string mania" is relatively cheap as manias go.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:50 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 pm
Not sure that it is common to 'bash' D'Addario on this forum. Like every other brand mentioned here on the forum they get user comment, both good and bad. The one thing which strikes me as odd more often than not is the number of people who use them and speak highly of them but seemingly have never tried any, or very few, alternatives. There is a whole world of strings out there to explore. Guitarists who do so may well find a great match with their guitar and their playing style - it seems intuitively obvious that the chance of finding your perfect string only increases with the more sets you try.

In case people think I am too hard on the old EJ45/46 I do often talk of their strengths and recommend them as the first set to try to get a baseline to experiment from. So, my take on EJ45/46 both good and bad:
  • They are economical
  • They last about average time for guitar strings, but noticeably less than some more expensive strings
  • They are amongst the most consistent and reliable strings made, in relation to intonation
  • Basses sound good, but with less brightness than some
  • The b and e strings are mellow/dark amongst the comparator nylon family. Their sustain is about average for nylon
  • The g string is relatively tubby and a bit lower in sustain than nylon comparator strings, and noticeably less than a carbon G
Peter
Thanks, I find this useful.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 am

I have this string problem too. Mine seem to multiply without any help - or maybe it's the string fairy. :lol:
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 am

How about this, for all you ladies and gentlemen that have strings sitting in a drawer that maybe you have tried before, but decided they didn't suit you or your instrument, and you just aren't going to use them again....pass them on to a friend, or a student? Then you can always try more strings, or maybe you have a few favorites that you are going to stick with.

I am sending a package out to a forum friend tomorrow of about a dozen sets of strings. I'll never use them again, or in the case of a couple of sets that I had, I got them as free samples, and decided to share.

Several fellow forum member's have been rather generous with me, passing on items that they just can't use, so I am just trying to pay it forward a bit, as others have done. So even though I can't make the pledge not to buy anymore guitar strings, I know that whatever strings I buy will get used by someone.

Scott aka Laudiesdad69

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:39 am

While waiting for a set of Mari's to come in, I decided to put on another set that I have had lying aroung for almost 2 years! It is an interesting thing how sets of guitar strings accumulate, isn't it? But, perhaps if I had more guitars to string up, then I wouldn't have that string problem... hmmm...

As for professionals that aren't sure of what strings are on their instruments, well I really don't know what to make of that: Are they really being honest? How is it that YOU don't know what strings YOU put on YOUR guitar? Again, maybe it comes down to owning many guitars and losing track of what strings are on which guitar?

Lastly, I agree with others in that there are many great strings out there and the only way to know about them is to try different sets out for yourself. Strings DO make a difference and can contribute to that feeling of not wanting to put your guitar down and just keep on playing forever.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”