Strings like d'addario composite G?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Mogenson

Strings like d'addario composite G?

Post by Mogenson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm

One of my guitars had a bad sounding open G so I tried that coffee coloured composite G string that d'addario makes and the problem went away! It actually sounds pretty good on this guitar. I was wondering if anyone knows what this string is made from... I would like to try a B string and maybe even a high E from the same or similar material. Any recommendations?

joachim33

Re: Strings like d'addario composite G?

Post by joachim33 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:15 pm

try a set of Savarez Alliance trebles. They come in two tensions normal and hard and you get sets with three different bass strings: Classic HT, Corum and Cantiga.

For a starter you might want to choose Cantiga. The sets have similar tension than the D'Addario red (45) and blue (46).

Be careful when fixing Alliance trebles. They have a reputation to slip easily from the block. Read up here using the search facility.

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm

D‘Addario brand name of this genuine material is Zyex which doesn‘t give any information of its composition. These strings are only available from d‘Addario and for guitar they only offer the g string. Other diameters are available for violin resp. viola but of course a „little bit“ too short for guitars! :wink:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

The carbon strings, such as the Alliance are slippery little suckers. You may want to do an extra wrap on these strings when tying them to the block. On the high E, when using Carbon, I use four wraps and have not had them slip. The B and G I use 3 wraps and haven't had slipping. You should see the last wrap land near the hole on the tie block.

Strings by Mail sells many carbon string brands as singles, so you can experiment and find what you like, with relatively little expense. A lot of people just by a set that they like, and replace the G with an Alliance G.

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 am

Dogal Maestrale trebles - those are very like a blue version of the Zyex string, imho.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Zyex = Victrex PEEK polymer = polyetheretherketone = poly(oxy-1,4-phenyleneoxy-1,4-phenylenecarbonyl-1,4-phenylene)... :shock:
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”