Wee Bit Frustrated

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jayne

Wee Bit Frustrated

Post by Jayne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:53 am

Good evening folks,

I just made my first complete string change....only took me two hours.
I'm hoping it gets easier :roll:
My question is....after tuning all 6 new strings i go back and recheck the tuning and they all WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off (flat). Will this resolve itself as they breakin? I haven't been able to get through one piece yet.

Another question....as I am winding up the string and they get tighter my tuning nuts creak do I need to oil them?

A wee bit frustrating

owl

Post by owl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:00 am

Hello Jayne... yes... the good news is that it does get easier, and also it is normal for your strings to be this way until they can hold the correct tension... it will probably take a couple of days for you to 'play' them in.

Not sure about the creaking tuners... will let the experts advise you on that one!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

Jayne

Post by Jayne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 am

Thank you Owl....

I had been procrastinating on changing the strings for awhile now. I found the trebles to be very dull and strange sounding. I purchased the guitar in May so who knows how long those strings had been on.

Quite a learning curve ...... :lol:

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 am

The creaking noise is usually just the sound of the string windings rubbing against each other as they settle into place under tension. You can occassionally put a drop of machine oil (sewing machine oil, 3-in-1, etc) on the worm gears of the tuners.

Now you understand why we all dread changing strings :roll: but it is always worth the effort. I have a little plastic string winding attachment that fits into a cordless drill and fits over the knobs... On a good day, I can now do a complete string change and fingerboard cleaning in less than 20 minutes :wink: You still have to wait for them to settle in...

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:45 am

Azalais wrote:I have a little plastic string winding attachment that fits into a cordless drill and fits over the knobs...
Az, you are hardcore with the drill. :)

But I do recommend one of those little string cranks to wind strings with.

I also find an electronic tuner helpful.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:52 am

:grire: the drill is actually very gentle and steady and controlled compared to the crank variety that seems to wobble around and whops into the adjacent knobs. The drill supports the weight of the neck so you can guide the string with your other hand as it tightens up... very civilized way to do it... and much less stressful 8)

arons

Post by arons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:00 am

Azalais,

You seem to know tremendous amount about guitar maintenance (everything from simple fingerboard cleaning to some pretty complex lutherie, it seems). I, on the other hand, am a complete idiot in these matters except for knowing the basics of humidity so that my beautiful guitar doesn't turn to firewood any time soon.

I was wondering if you might consider posting a thread, or series of threads, sort of like an Idiot's Guide to Guitar Maintenance. Just maybe your regular routine, solutions and/or chemicals you use, supplies to have handy, your recommended maintenance schedule for a typical CG.

Of course, feel free to disregard my request, but you seem to be so well-thought out and highly informed on a subject that many of us scratch our heads over.

Best,
Aron

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:16 am

Thank you for the kind comments Arons... As it happens, I am about to start a repair on a really gorgeous lute (I mixed the hide glue tonight so it would be ready in the morning)... I always get so wrapped up in what I'm doing and never seem to have enough free (clean) hands to stop and take pictures as I'm doing these things :roll: Thank you for reminding me!! I'll try to take some pix to post...

Blossom

Re: Wee Bit Frustrated

Post by Blossom » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:52 am

Jayne wrote:Good evening folks,

I'm hoping it gets easier :roll:
My question is....after tuning all 6 new strings i go back and recheck the tuning and they all WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off (flat). Will this resolve itself as they breakin? I haven't been able to get through one piece yet.

Another question....as I am winding up the string and they get tighter my tuning nuts creak do I need to oil them?

A wee bit frustrating
Gosh :shock:, I can hardly wait until I have to change the strings on my guitar... :roll: Seems like quite a task! And I have never done it before :wink:

I know about the creaking too, when I had brand new strings on my guitar it seemed I had to tune them a couple of times a day. Except I would keep winding them tighter and tighter... :oops: ...until someone on here told me to wind them up and down as otherwise they would break eventually.

The creaking tuners seem common...I have a couple of those too, but it isn't as bad as it used to be since my strings have fully settled and I get away with tuning them very little these days.

Blossom

arons

Post by arons » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Azalais wrote:Thank you for reminding me!! I'll try to take some pix to post...
:merci: very much! I look forward to it!

Best,
Aron

Jayne

Post by Jayne » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

Got up this morning, tuned up....wow....what a difference. The sound is completely different.....I was having alot of trouble with Carulli's valse in E minor at bar 18, the b and d on second and third strings just sound so off before....now...it sounds lots better.

Well worth changing strings and not procrasting over the 'tone'

Thanks guys

freestroke

Re: Wee Bit Frustrated

Post by freestroke » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Jayne wrote:Good evening folks,

That time will definitely improve! :)

I would like to emphasize the suggestion to get one of those plastic cranks. They would have them at practically any musical instrument store, I would think. They're cheap and make changing strings dramatically faster and easier.

When I first started CG, there was a "string-changing time record" at the guitar shop. I wish I could remember the actual number -- really fast. Four and half minutes? Two and a half minutes? I do recall being totally amazed by it. (And they didn't use a power tool, I'm sure, Azalais! That's CHEATING!!! :lol: ) What's the Delcamp record, I wonder? Surely there's a Guiness Book of World Records for this.

It takes me about 10-15 minutes. Most of that time is spent getting the strings off, not putting them on, oddly enough -- I can never get the stupid things out of the spindle holes! :evil: That, and I'm one of those stupid people who sets things down and can't find them 10 seconds later -- without even leaving the chair -- so I spend a lot of time looking around for the string winder. :lol:
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

Derry

Post by Derry » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:24 pm

Jayne,, might try my method of string changing the next time,,

I remove string 1 & 6 first and place the new strings on,, use the 2 & 5 to tune them in,, after a few minutes of tuning them in I then replace 2 & 5 and use 3 & 4 to tune them as well as retunning 1 & 6,,

helps get the strings there faster and has been an easy approach for me for a long time,,

I also wind my strings different than most,, just do not care for all the string wound around the head spools,,

I go thorugh the spool hole and bring the string back around itself and then wind, this locks the string in place leaving a long tail,,

I wind 1 & 6 toward the inside of the spool hole and the rest toward the outside,, this will allow about two turns on the spool with a nice even appearence and tails that you can curl, cut or leave hanging free,,

enjoy,,

Sasquatch51

Post by Sasquatch51 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:30 pm

Having a 12-hole tie block helps tremendously.

freestroke

Post by freestroke » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:44 pm

Derry wrote: I wind 1 & 6 toward the inside of the spool hole and the rest toward the outside,, this will allow about two turns on the spool with a nice even appearence and tails that you can curl, cut or leave hanging free,,

enjoy,,
This isn't wrong, certainly (assuming you mean toward/away from the turners), but another way of looking at it is that strings 1 & 6 wind toward the outside of the fretboard, the others toward the inside. Obviously, they should head in the direction of their respective slots on the nut.

Now, for some crazy reason, I'm probably wrong. Watch. "Au contraire, mon amis! You want the extreme angle into the slot to assure correct intonation in the higher frets!" Sigh.
Hell is full of amateur musicians -- GB Shaw

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”