Buying Daniel Mari

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jabberwocky

Re: Buying Daniel Mari

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 am

This thread just brought back memories of my first and only order of 10 sets of 100p from Ostrie Music in 2015; It did not go as I wanted it to go. I paid via Paypal and I did not hear from Bill Ostrie for more than two weeks. After not hearing from him I emailed and got a reply that he would refund my purchase price. It cost me loss in foreign exchange. It was not a lot but still a frustrating experience nonetheless to lose a few dollars for nothing. I did not start a thread because other folk seemed to be receiving them from Bill Ostrie so I thought the problem must be a one-off that just happened to me.

Because of that, I have been hesitant about ordering Daniel Mari 100p again from Ostrie Music. An unreliable supply of one's favourite strings can be very frustrating for the player. I thought that I should choose a string set with a much more dependable supply. The 100p is very much a novelty string to me at this point. Getting a supply of it is too unreliable for anyone to depend on them as regular strings. My advice is not to be habituated to using them no matter how much one likes them. The rumour that Daniel Mari might be retiring and the report of the strings being out of round by es335 certainly cause me concern. In electric guitar playing, I run into players who are so used to using a certain type of pick that they are almost shattered when the pick is discontinued, they run out of supplies, no shops sell them and they have to scour e - b a y for new old stock ones. I can't imagine that happening to classical players with strings.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:35 am

‘My advice is not to be habituated to them no matter how much one likes them’. Really?

I have bought from Ostrie numerous times and he is a one-man show so I don’t expect automated responses or next day shipping. That’s why I restock when I still have a few sets left.

They are great trebles. People, have a little patience, order early and you’ll be blessed with some fantastic strings. If they do become unavailable at some point them worry about that issue then.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 pm

As I mentioned in my thread I thought I was the only one and hence never brought it up. But it is now clear that in this small forum there are others with the same issue. So, yes, really. You cannot play the strings that you cannot reliably get. Just ask anyone who plays professionally. I ordered 10 sets and well ahead of the time that I would need them. I never heard from Bill Ostrie for a little over two weeks and I had to emall him before I heard from him a few days later. Is that not patience enough?

You may enjoy this uncertainty but I don't. I was relating my experience as others have around here. So, yes, really. Find a reliable supply and supplier of strings. Thankfully, there are other good strings about.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks to a fellow Delcamper my string drawer is filled with Mari trebles!!

Just did a total string change; Hauser Normal Tension Basses and Mari 100’s trebles! I’m excited! I’ll update after they’ve settled in,,,,
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I have made some serious error of timeline in my dealings with Ostrie Music for which I unreservedly apologise to Bill Ostrie. I had kept the emails and Paypal transaction record and not deleted them as I had thought.

On December 12th 2016, I placed an order for 12 sets of 100P Daniel Mari trebles at $3.89 each and shipping cost of $3.99. I did not receive acknowledgment of my order, so after two days, on December 14th 2016, I emailed Ostrie Music to ask if it had received my Paypal payment. I got no reply. About half a day later on the same date, I emailed Ostrie Music again. I had paid via Paypal and Paypal allowed 30 days to file a dispute for a non-delivered order. I placed a dispute on the order with Ostrie Music with Paypal because I received no acknowledgment. It was a matter of cancelling the dispute when I heard back from Ostrie Music or so I thought. On December 19th 2016, I received an email from Bill Ostrie that he refunded my payment. I said thank you for the refund and left it at that.

I should have checked my email account for the old emails before writing my original post. I have been deficient in this respect and for that I am very sorry to Ostrie Music and Bill Ostrie and to the forum for having misled them. It did not take two weeks for Bill Ostrie to respond as I had thought. It took eight days from the day I placed my order and the day I received an email for Bill Ostrie that he had refunded my purchase price. I chalked my experience down to it having been me because other folk seemed to be getting their orders. The original post by rojarosguitar brought back my faulty recollection of my transaction and yes, I shot my mouth off without first verifying the timeline. And that I should have done.

Mea culpa.

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I've received every order that I've placed with Bill Ostrie over the last two years or so. And that's a lot of orders because I'm cheap and only order two or three sets at a time. And Mari trebles are my go to strings. it takes longer than SBM but it has always happened.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:18 am

I got an email from MR Ostrie that stated he has been waiting for Mari factory to send him the strings, and that Mr Mari May actually retire. He said in the email that he refunded my money, and as soon as he gets them he will send them free of charge.

On one of Peter’s recommendations in another thread, I ordered some Augustine Imperials. I have yet to try them as I have been without my classical guitar for awhile and have just got it back from my son today. I will let you all know what zi think of them after New Years, when I have more time.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”