Augustine strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
prawnheed

Re: Augustine strings

Post by prawnheed » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:49 am

jscott wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 pm
Re: the last two entries. I think that this illustrates why simply stating in English (or French or Arabic, etc.) what the tension is for the treble and/or bass strings would be clearer than having each manufacturer come up with their own idiomatic code.

er, "own idiomatic" is redundant, but hopefully the point is made. Redundant for emphasis, I claim.
Comparing between manufacturers requires more than words - one company’s medium can be another company’s high etc.

There’s a thread somewhere that attempts to actually quantify the tension.

That said, it’s only important if you choose strings by tension.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 am

astro64 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:34 pm

The other way around. Color refers to tension of basses. Regal, Imperial, Classic refers to the trebles. Easy to get them confused...
Crud. You are correct of course, my error. But confirmation that it's easy to get things backwards here.
Last edited by David Norton on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 am

"one company’s medium can be another company’s high etc."

Yes that's a given but color codes don't help here either. It's just, if you want THAT BRAND's low tension bass strings with low tension trebles, having to decipher C or R or J and then red card or black, etc, is just unnecessarily futzy. And yes once you gain familiarity with a company's system, it's all quite decipherable. But why not just state what's in each set in straightforward manner. "Medium tension bass strings with low tension trebles and a carbon G" for example. Thanks, that's clear!

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:58 pm

Somewhere David Norton wrote:

"The one downside I've noticed is that the Augustine strings go dull after being strung up for 4-5 months......."

4-5 months? Good Heavens I replace strings around every 2 months..... :wink:
Ramirez 1a 1979 cedar top

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 pm

RenaissanceMan wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:01 am
Alright, reading all these responses I give Augustine Strings a second try. :)
Ordered two sets of Augustine Imperial Red's, will keep you informed after
putting a set on my Ramirez 1a and played around with it
Just have put them on my Ramirez and the 4th D produces a nasty non harmonic overtone when it is plugged as open string.
Although it is just noticeable and it dies quickly it is somewhat annoying.....

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Still love mine. Especially for the price. What I notice is really good intonation. They are fading quicker than the D'Addaro composites, but still sound good.

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:59 pm

davekear wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 pm
Still love mine. Especially for the price. What I notice is really good intonation. They are fading quicker than the D'Addaro composites, but still sound good.
Perhaps I have to play them a few days to let that D string settle and that annoying overtone vanish (I hope).

Matthew Masail

Post by Matthew Masail » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

As far as Ive read Augustine upgraded thier equipment and are putting out accurate strings now. I guess they felt the lose in sales due to the intonation problems they had. I've only used them a couple time in the last few years but I don't recall having a problem.

AndrewFitzsimmons

Post by AndrewFitzsimmons » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 pm

I use regal trebles and blue basses which as stated would be Augustine's version of a high tension set. I haven't had any issues with them. In the 1990's I used Augustine red sets and at that time I noticed from time to time some intonation problems particularly with the 3rd string. With my own humble ears I would say that strings like D'Addario offer a more "neutral" tonal base to work from whereas Augustine strings bring a certain "character" that I really like. I guess that's why I like and continue to use them. All incredibly subjective of course!

Kind Regards
Andrew

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 am

davekear wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:05 pm
Dave, perhaps "vanilla" EJ45 or EF46 are a better comparison than the composites you have been using. D'Addario claims the composites will last longer than their standard strings and hence the higher price for the composites.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:58 am

I have put them on a guitar that resides in its case most of the time, and doesn’t get played much. They still sound good after 8 months on he case. Some strings go dull, when left on a little used guitar in the case. These don’t appear to have done that. I wish they would make the d string a little longer though.

Golfgnome

Post by Golfgnome » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:33 pm

davekear wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 pm
For many years I've been using D'Addario composites...which is a good string. But I thought I'd try some Augustine Imperial Red's, which cost a lot less than the D'addario's. Well after about a week or so of using them, I actually like them better. Intonation is perfect, sound great, nice separateness, good tone. And at about $7.00 a set......great string! It was the string Segovia used, they've been around for quite a while. Evidently they know what they're doing.
Just thought I'd mention it.
I tried them as a change from the D'Addario and liked them. I paid $13 for a set. The loops threw me a bit at first.

RenaissanceMan

Post by RenaissanceMan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:56 pm

In my previous response I wrote: "Perhaps I have to play them a few days to let that D string settle and that annoying overtone vanish (I hope)."
After about 24 hours on my Ramirez I now can hardly notice that annoying overtone :D !
I also have the pleasant impression that those strings sounds somewhat crispier than the D'Addarios especially the 1st E sounds brighter when playing from the 9th position on (practicing Villa-Lobos 3rd Prelude at this moment).
Keep you informed in about a few days of playing those Augustines......

Golfgnome wrote :"The loops threw me a bit at first."

Yes, it did this also to me :)

chrisW3

Post by chrisW3 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am

Giving Augustine strings a try (Black Classic). I usually use a D'Addario EJ45.

They're quite similar to the D'Addario in sound but I'm finding the intonation is very slightly off, they don't stay in tune as well , they're not as loud and the tone is a bit thin (especially the trebles). I'm not sure if this is particular to the Classic set and whether higher tension may be better. They weren't expensive so I may just replace them this weekend.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Love Imperial Blue. The relatively low cost of Augustine strings enable one to change them often. I wanted to try the Daniel Mari 100p trebles but after encountering an unreliable supplier as detailed in the Daniel Mari/Ostrie Music thread I wondered to myself, why bother as Augustine Imperial trebles are really good and nice. I guess for a guitarist reliability of the supply of strings count as much as quality of string.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”