Experience with guitar strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bluetune

Experience with guitar strings

Post by bluetune » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,
normally i use on my concert guitar Savarez guitar strings medium tension (16 € per Set). Last week I visited a guitar shop and they offered guitar strings from Knobloch (Pure Sterling Silver, Nylon Medium)They cost 53 € per Set. I decided to try them. I put them on, but after a week playing i am disappointed. E A and D are a bit louder than other strings and sound good, but g, h and e don't have the brilliance that I expected. And after a week playing they still don't keep the tuning. I will return to Savarez Strings.
What are your experiences with guitar Strings?

riffmeister

Re: Experience with guitar strings

Post by riffmeister » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Are you using Savarez Alliance strings? If so, the trebles are made of fluorocarbon which will give a much brighter sound than the Knobloch trebles which are made of nylon.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

As Riffy suggests, I think you need to clarify what treble strings were previously installed.

In any event, Sterling Silver Knobloch are fine strings and will last a long time. Don’t remove them, just look for alternate treble strings that will deliver the tonal balance you are selling. The Knobloch are to my ears the overall best carbon strings I know. I suggest you buy a set of three of those and match them to the basses you have installed and see how you go. The treble strings will be relatively cheap - the cost of the set you bought was driven by the bass strings.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 pm

bluetune wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 am
they offered guitar strings from Knobloch (Pure Sterling Silver, Nylon Medium)They cost 53 € per Set.
:shock: :chaud:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 pm

I would suggest that you try the knobloch carbon trebles, as you say you used nylon. They should bring the treble strings up in brilliance. And they sound really good. You mention that the the previous strings won’t keep their tuning. You will need to use an extra loop on the caeebon trebles, as they can be slippery suckers. You want to make sure that the tail of the string is on the back of the tie block. On my high E I use four twists, and the end of the string lands closer to the tie block hole". Never had a problem doing it that way.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Best and most costeffective basses are D'Addario EJ46 Pro Arte HT Clssical Guitar Strings SNH-3B, Bass Set. They sell for 6,49 US$ on strings by mail and I don't know what you could expect more from o good set of strings. They do sell separatly now, as bass set only. They sound good, last long and are unexpensive. A good choice for a good and afordable bass string set are the Augustine Red MT Classical Guitar Strings, Bass Set, they sell at 5,69 also in the same place.

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm

As far as bass sets go, Strings and Beyond has Aquila Alabastro bass sets for $4.49 each set. They last a long time and sound very good, also the Aquila trebles are worth a try, many different types to choose from. Most of the complete sets have the Alabastro as the bass strings.
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

bluetune

Post by bluetune » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:30 am

I work now a month long with the Knobloch strings (Pure Sterling Silver, Nylon Medium) and i have to say they became better and better with the toime. Now after a month they sound really good and didn't lose their brilliance. And I think they last very long.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:52 am

I was also disappointed with a try of ( simple ) Knobloch strings

after many tries, my best set that nr1 for most of my guitars is the daddario carbon trebles medium tension .

but, to make things complicated, the best for my bernabe are paulino bernabe strings ( medium to high their tension ), it seems that some guitars need their own spesific string tension to the soundboard, so you have to experiment for each guitar :)
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Pavlos Gypas 1989
Furch FN 23 CR ( nylon )
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”