String Tension Conundrum

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jnbrown

String Tension Conundrum

Post by jnbrown » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:54 pm

I have been using Mari 100p for a while and generally like them but feel I need for a little more tension.
I feel my guitar's sound and technique would both benefit especially tremolo and hammer on / pull offs.
I just got some Mari 200p to try. I put the high E string in the B string position so I could compare the 100p against the 200p.
I found that they felt and sounded exactly the same so I was perplexed. I brought out my digital calipers and measured the diameter and they are the same. So it seems either I was sent the wrong strings or there is no difference between 100p and 200p, at least the high E string.
I am wondering if anybody has noticed a difference or knows what the diameters are supposed to be?
I happened to have a set of Luthier 30 (Medium High Tension) which I bought primarily for the bass strings.
I do like the bass strings so I put on the trebles. My initial impressions were good but I am noticing my arpeggio is really suffering which seems to be due to the B string being overly stiff. I took off the G string right away because it was really thick. I also think these are a little bit too high tension for my guitar.
So I am wondering what strings would be between the Mari 100p and Luthier 30 in terms of tension?

Thanks for any advise.

es335

Re: String Tension Conundrum

Post by es335 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:46 pm

jnbrown wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:54 pm
I am wondering if anybody has noticed a difference or knows what the diameters are supposed to be? ...
That’s what I observed as well with the treble packs from Ostrie. The trebles from the complete sets I used some years ago measured 0.71/0.85/0.99 mm. What I received later from Ostrie was 0.73/0.86/1.04 mm with a few outliers if I remember well. :?

Maybe you will find an answer to your other question here!?

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 am

Strings don't make arpeggio better or worse, if you aren't handling your arpeggios don't blame the strings...

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:59 am

Mari was having some mispackaged trebles for awhile, I got some and was refunded by Ostrie. I need to see if he got his supply problems solved. I have been waiting for months for my order. I will email him and see what's up.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:59 am

Try Augustine Regal.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”