How long does it take a string to slip the block/roller.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

How long does it take a string to slip the block/roller.

Post by joachim33 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am

When changing strings and you have a string slip, how quickly does that happen? Hours or a few days after fixing or can that be slow process that takes a month or two?

As a matter of caution, when changing strings, I allow the strings to settle for a few days before clipping the excess.

petermc61

Re: How long does it take a string to slip the block/roller.

Post by petermc61 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:01 am

I’ve only ever had a string slip while bringing up to tension. Only ever on carbon trebles. The tell tale sign before a slip is winding the roller and the pitch not continuing to go up. If that ever happens I immediately stop winding and back off the tension and check the tie.

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:40 am

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:01 am
I’ve only ever had a string slip while bringing up to tension. Only ever on carbon trebles. The tell tale sign before a slip is winding the roller and the pitch not continuing to go up. If that ever happens I immediately stop winding and back off the tension and check the tie.
Ditto about carbon trebles.
In my case I noticed it slipping when the string ding happened as I tuning up. :-(

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 pm

I never have a problem with strings slipping. I always trim the strings immediately after fitting them. Perhaps you need a better method of tying the strings at the roller. I always bring the string back over the roller (towards the saddle) and wind it around the string as it binds onto the roller. I wind 3 times around for the 1st and 2nd strings and twice for the others.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm

I make sure there is no slippage as I tune up by gently tugging/snugging the string on the tie block. And always make sure the string exits the tie block on the back side.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:18 pm

I never tug the strings, preferring to let them settle naturally. I continually tune up to concert pitch as the strings settle.

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I clip them right after stringing and tuning. High Tension strings. I never had a problem with slipping strings. Mine do not become shorter, but longer. :wink:
Maybe it's because I'm an evil heretic: I never ever started stringing a classical guitar at the bridge. I always start at the roller and have never tried doing it the other way.
Decades of experience with electric bass and steel string guitar taught me two things: Never cross strings on the roller and wind up as little as possible to achieve the best tuning stability.

Some of you might have seen this picture before, but nevertheless, once again: This is how I fix strings that don't slip. I cut the ends at the bridge, as soon as they're strung up.
Very slippery thin Carbons might move a few millimetres before they're fully tuned up, so the sharp bended part can be twice the diameter of the capstan (cut the overcame after being in tune). Bass strings do not need more than one winding on the roller. Some bass strings have a soft end. I always use that end for the roller. And some 6th strings are too thick to put them twice into the hole: I make a knot.
It works!
capstan.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

a human

Post by a human » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm

I tend not clip strings. Heretic. If I'm playing in front of people, I'll clip. I started leaving tails years ago because I was using strings with a wound g string, which was weaker and tended to fail first Having a tail gave me time to reuse the string and play before I could walk into town to buy new strings. Of course, I was a kid with an allowance, too, so tried to get the most out of a set.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:21 pm

I get weird vibrations sometimes when I don’t clip them. I find that making small loops with the tag end helps keep them to a minimum.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm
I make sure there is no slippage as I tune up by gently tugging/snugging the string on the tie block. And always make sure the string exits the tie block on the back side.
And I clip string ends as soon as the string is brought to pitch.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 pm

riffmeister wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm
And always make sure the string exits the tie block on the back side.
Meaning the string exiting the last loop should be on the back side of the tie block.

Last edited by riffmeister on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:38 am

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the input. The question I have is actually quite simple:

Has anyone experienced a string slip the block a long time after fixing it to the block?

If you got it wrong, will it slip more or less directly - e.g. within an hour of fixing it to the instrument?

From the answers I got so far, it seems that if it slips, it will do it while first tuning up or pretty soon after fixing the string.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:56 am

If you tie it right, it won't ever slip. If you tie it wrong it will slip soon after or while the string is being brought to pitch. In my experience. (the only string I've ever had slip was a carbon 1st string while I was bringing it up to pitch....three instead of two wraps on the tie block solved the problem)

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:57 am

joachim33 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:38 am
... Has anyone experienced a string slip the block a long time after fixing it to the block?...
No!
joachim33 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:38 am
...If you got it wrong, will it slip more or less directly - e.g. within an hour of fixing it to the instrument?...
Yes! Usually during the tuning up process.

This being said under the provision that there is sufficient excess string length at the tie block as show in Riffmeister‘s picture for instance! :wink: :D

I keep the excess length much longer when installing the strings first and later cut them back as shown above after they have stabilized well!

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 am

I just changed strings on my 3 CG's and had something strange happen. After installing the strings I used my iPhone tuning app to tune the strings to the proper pitch, On one of the guitars as I was tightening the string the app did not indicate the pitch was increasing, so I kept tightening the string. Even the frequency display on the app did not change. And of course the string snapped - at the end where the tie bock is. I was able to repair it since the break was at the end. So the caution I take from this is not to totally trust your phone app. They seem to work most of the time but now I use a phone app in addition to a clip-on tuner. And tighten new strings VERY CAREFULLY. If the tuner show increased pitch while tightening the string, stop. I have not read about this on the Forum but it has happened to me a total of three times. OK, I'm a slow learner.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”