How long does it take a string to slip the block/roller.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
souldier

Re: How long does it take a string to slip the block/roller.

Post by souldier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am

fast eddie wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 am
I just changed strings on my 3 CG's and had something strange happen. After installing the strings I used my iPhone tuning app to tune the strings to the proper pitch, On one of the guitars as I was tightening the string the app did not indicate the pitch was increasing, so I kept tightening the string. Even the frequency display on the app did not change. And of course the string snapped - at the end where the tie bock is. I was able to repair it since the break was at the end. So the caution I take from this is not to totally trust your phone app. They seem to work most of the time but now I use a phone app in addition to a clip-on tuner. And tighten new strings VERY CAREFULLY. If the tuner show increased pitch while tightening the string, stop. I have not read about this on the Forum but it has happened to me a total of three times. OK, I'm a slow learner.
Yup the string was basically tuned well past its designed pitch and gave way. Other than any app or clip-on tuner, you'll want to use your ears as well. Your ears will tell you if the string is indeed getting tighter, or if something is slipping and causing the pitch to suddenly drop, which should also warn you to stop before something slips and gives your guitar a nasty string burn.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:29 pm

souldier wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am
Other than any app or clip-on tuner, you'll want to use your ears as well. Your ears will tell you if the string is indeed getting tighter, or if something is slipping and causing the pitch to suddenly drop, which should also warn you to stop before something slips and gives your guitar a nasty string burn.
Where can I find an ear app...or do you use clip-on ears? :lol:
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:29 pm
souldier wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am
Other than any app or clip-on tuner, you'll want to use your ears as well. Your ears will tell you if the string is indeed getting tighter, or if something is slipping and causing the pitch to suddenly drop, which should also warn you to stop before something slips and gives your guitar a nasty string burn.
Where can I find an ear app...or do you use clip-on ears? :lol:
The clip-on ears are definitely preferred
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Back to the original topic.... I had restrung my guitar about 3 weeks before going to a weekend gathering. For fun, I was using the nylon string guitar during some open G & open D tunings as well as standard tuning jams.

Everything went normal, but on Sunday; about half way through a song, the G string slipped on the roller. Because of the frequent de-tuning and re-tuning, the string had relaxed it's grip on the roller & slipped.

So in my case, it took 3 weeks to slip the roller...

Dave
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2016 Cordoba C-10 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”