Changed to Savarez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Changed to Savarez

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:25 am
After viewing your positive comments, I am thinking to switch back to Savarez Cristal Hard Tension.

I have tried various brands.Nothing sounds right than this original set that my luthier put on.Maybe my guitar has been set up to accomodate the nylon string tension of Savarez.

I tried before the Cantiga/Alliance hard, but the tension is too much for my hands.
In my experience Savarez make great bass strings but I am not really a fan of any of their trebles. Maybe you just need to try some treble alternatives paired with the normal tension Cantiga. Two that generally work well are Augustine Imperial and Dogal Diamanté (in Strong tension).

Peter

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:17 am

Thank you once again, Peter!

I will look into Augustine Imperial Red and Dogal Diamente Hard Tension, as full sets.I am not able to get half sets locally.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Argent

Post by Argent » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Well that’s been two weeks and I have a set of Daddario J46 Hard tension coming tomorrow. The carbon trebles are too bright for me and require too much effort with vibrato compared to nylon.

The bass strings are very good so I may mix them with the Daddario strings.
David Argent Cedar 2005

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”