Carbon strings pulling through

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Chuah Hui Hsien

Re: Carbon strings pulling through

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:43 am

Baloo,

You can refer to Savarez Creation Cantiga, which they have an Alliance G as their compensational 3rd string, refer to the diameter and lbs, you will have the clue.

Savarez Creation Cantiga set number:510MJ(hard),
510MR (normal)
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks. They just pair a "normal tension" carbon G with "normal tension" nylon B and e then. Logical enough I suppose. I think I will try a Dogal Diamante e. I found these on the back of rojarosguitar's post above. They are basically nylon but have a bit of carbon in the mix too. I can't find much info on tension though. The website says "the tension reduces to only 7.7 kg in the extra-strong version down to 6.6 kg for the extra-soft version leaving so the instrument top free to vibrate correctly". I guess they are talking about the e, although they don't actually say and the numbers do sound pretty low (now that I've looked around a bit and found that there's usually quite a jump from B to e). Is there some convention about which string is used as the reference?

People seem to say that the Dogals are fairly quiet so I would probably go for strong or extra-strong.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:49 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:08 pm
You can wipe the E, B, G with slightly moist towel, and melt a ball end at each string before you tie them on the bridge. Carbon strings tend to be more slippery than nylons. That is why I avoid using them on my new guitar.

And you can attach a cardboard lengthwise at the brigde, better to use low tack tape if you have French Polish top.

Tune up your string or bring up the pitch gradually. Check against the ties as you tune. Make sure they didn't slip.
What is wiping the strings with a damp towel going to do?

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 am

Watched and learned from Lubos Narpstek's video on "How to change strings on 12 holes tie block".

To keep our hands clean, and the strings free from any oily residue before tying.Been following his method since then, so far so good, no problem on both 6 holes and 12 holes.

Now I am going to learn to make the stopper knot at the string end, first coil 2 rounds on a pencil, then pull the string tip with a small plier. Hope it turns up neat.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:36 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 am
Watched and learned from Lubos Narpstek's video on "How to change strings on 12 holes tie block".

To keep our hands clean, and the strings free from any oily residue before tying.Been following his method since then, so far so good, no problem on both 6 holes and 12 holes.

Ok, I gotcha now. I just tuck Miya string tails under the loop on the next adjacent string. If it slips, it won’t make a ding on the top that way. I also do 4,4, and 3 loops on the E through G strings. I didn’t think there could be stuff on the strings before I put them on.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:34 pm

With Alliance NT carbon trebles one possible options that is well matching IMHO is Augustin Imperial e-1. Regal e-1 could be to tight.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Baloo

Post by Baloo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:12 am

I'll give them a try, thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”