64cm (or shorter) Scale Guitar Owners

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Chuah Hui Hsien

64cm (or shorter) Scale Guitar Owners

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I would like to hear from those who play 64cm or shorter scale length guitars.Can you share your thoughts and suggestions for players who perhaps are looking for shorter scale guitars in this forum.

I received mine just about a year ago.It is based on Torres style a.k.a "La Suprema" , lower bout 35cm,sides less than 10cm,5cm nut width,medium action.I am still searching for the right brand/tension of strings to suit its temperement.I prefer nylon more than carbon,nylons feel more comfortable and sound good in my opinion.

As you know, smaller guitar tends to more inclined to mid range, less bass depth, also softer volume if compare to 65cm or longer scale.The wrong choices of strings could make the trebles undesirably weak sounding.My guitar clearly prefers harder tension to drive the top, but also make it stiffer to play.

The conclusion, I love to play the 65cm but it is too big for me, not good for stretching. The 64cm is right for me, but I need to gain more finger muscles,in order to manipulate the strings with ease.

What's your story?

P.S. I have another 3/4 size guitar, just 61cm scale. I love to play it, and the volume isn't soft at all. Maybe it's a solid cedar top,laminated mahogany back and sides. I would imitate Odair Assad by placing it on my right thigh.It accepts any brand of strings, as long as they are hard tensions.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

nmshu1

Re: 64cm (or shorter) Scale Guitar Owners

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:13 pm

I would recommend you just try from the builder's suggestion. Check its tension value, then you will find similar tension value strings...then you will find your preference.

Usually the builder has tried the strings. Maybe he has found the best solution.
Otto Vowinkel Concert | Paulino Bernabe Torres | Juan Hernandez Torres | German V. Rubio Concert | Kenny Hill Performance

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:47 pm

I own four 64cm guitars, one 62.5cm, and two 65cm (one of which I expect to sell very soon).

I agree that the 65s tend to sound a little richer and fuller, but honestly, I am not sure if it is because of the scale, or because of the design. I suspect it is more attributable to the design. My Kenny Hill 64cm Rodriguez has great power and clarity, the Johnny Walker 64 just slightly less. I prefer normal tension strings on all my guitars.

The difference in sound output from a 64 vs 65, or high vs normal tension, are quite subtle and it is difficult to obtain factual metrics fully in support of either one. Too much subjectivity and biases involved.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

MAK

Post by MAK » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I have three short scale guitars right now. I must say that my string choices are based on how easily I can fret the strings, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the guitars don’t sound good to my ears.

On my Hill New World Player (cedar/rosewood) 615, I found D’Addario hard tension work best for me. I know a lot of people don’t like them. I’ve also played it with one of the higher tension Savarez, but found the tension too much for me. Yes, the G probably requires a medium tension actives Knobloch, but not the high tension Knobloch. I just haven’t made the change,yet since I don’t play this guitar very often.

On my custom 610 (spruce/rosewood) I have LaBella 2001 hard tension, but next time I’m going to try the medium tension and then the light tension LaBellas. I feel that either the medium or light tension strings will work better and also sound good.

I just acquired a requinto 560 (cedar/walnut). I felt like a needed a shorter scale. I’ve tuned it to E. It came with normal tension D’Addario nylon strings. I know the bass strings need to be a higher tension and will try hard tension same brand next.

I know my situation is probably very different from yours, but after a few years changing string brands and tensions, I’ve found what works best for me. Good luck.
Michele

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:56 am

I have a 640, and there's no appreciable difference between it and similarly built guitars from the same luthier, other than scale length. In fact it has a bigger sound than my Ramirez 1a, while still being a traditionally built top. Depends on the guitar, the luthier, the manufacturer, etc. So many factors. But I did buy it for the shorter scale, which for me has been much easier to play.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 am

Chuah Hui Hsien wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:08 pm
As you know, smaller guitar tends to more inclined to mid range, less bass depth, also softer volume if compare to 65cm or longer scale.
I don't believe any of these things are necessarily true. I think it depends on the skill of the maker. I use normal tension strings on all my guitars, with Aquila Alabastros for my Hill New World Player 615 and Hill Master Series Rodriguez 640. I use carbon fiber strings from Savarez on my Hill Performance 630. I hate heavier-tension strings. I've read their thicker diameter is responsible for their darker, thicker and less responsive sound. In my experience, that has been proven to be true.
-Bob

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:56 am

Thank you so much for the feedbacks. Now I have a clearer understanding on the strings issue I am facing with.

Hi, hesson11, if I am not mistaken,aren't the Savarez Alliance and Aquila Alasbastro feel more tighter in tension than Savarez Corum/New Cristal Hard Tension?
I actually found the Savarez cristal nylon HT too stiff to my liking. The normal tension makes the trebles muffled on the upper frets.

Dr ToneControl

Post by Dr ToneControl » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:22 am

Have you ever played an Alto Guitar?

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:31 am

I have a custom built 640 and don't notice anything special about strings on the 640 vs my 650.

I prefer high tension strings and find that they work very well on my 640. The current strings are Savarez New Cristal Cantiga 510CJ (high tension).

It has also worked well with carbon strings like the Oasis GPX+ Carbon NT 1100 normal tension.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce 640
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired) 650
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:40 am

Hi, Dr ToneControl,

I never play an Alto Guitar before.I only have a guitalele, for which I use Alice AC139 Titanium on it, sounds nice.

Tell me more about alto guitar please.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 am

The maker recommended Savarez Corum/Cristal Hard Tension for the guitar.I am looking for a lesser tension, eventually trying out few various brands normal tensions sets, but couldn't drive the treble strings to its optimum clarity. It sounded like an entry level guitar to my dismay!

Right now I am putting on a set of Jose Ramirez Hard Tension (Peter the strings wizzard recommended Medium though, but couldn't find locally).A few days later after the strings stretched, the JR hard tension doesn't feel stiff on my 64cm, however it's stiffer than ej46 and less taut than Savarez HT.

The trebles are clear, not overly bright.I have no issue with the basses of the different brands I tried.My guitar is more focused in the mid range.Overall this set is balanced with the hint of warm spanish accent.Hope they will last.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Many people say that with a shorter scale guitar you will need a higher tension string to make up for the reduced tension of the shorter scale. I have found this to be untrue. Each guitar has its own personality regardless of scale and you need to experiment to find out which string feels and sounds right.

My favorite strings for both my 640 and 630mm are D'Addario Normal Tension basses and Hannabach 815 super low tension trebles (yellow package). Here's what they look like.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:30 pm

I had a 640 guitar and could discren no difference between it and my 650 guitars regarding playing feel etc. Just didn't really notice it - it's only 10mm over the entire scale length.
Didn't feel the need to use different tension strings either.
In complete contrast, tiny differences in nut width are easily recognisable.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Many people say that with a shorter scale guitar you will need a higher tension string to make up for the reduced tension of the shorter scale. I have found this to be untrue. Each guitar has its own personality regardless of scale and you need to experiment to find out which string feels and sounds right.
And in my case it actually was true... I used mediums on the Ramirez, and the same strings, same tension, on my Connor were nearly flabby. But again: different people, different guitars. I found the right "fit" with a brand of strings noted for their higher tension, which seemed to work fine, but it took a lot of strings to figure it out... and most of that was the guitar's sound, not just its scale.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 pm

If you think you need more bass give a go to aranjuez 300/400 or Pyramid Sterling silver...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”